Which speed test is better to use?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Which speed test is better to use?

Ah, so, have you had further info sent your way which indicates a date for a node split?  If the node can't handle the load now, my guess is that it certainly won't when the gigabit service rolls into town, although, the transmission methodology is different.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

supposedly the wrk was completed oct 23/15 but as you can see by my recent posts and the fact that i cant confirm it i am assuming it wasnt done or what ever they did didnt wrk...so once again i guess ill have to start hounding peeps and try and get things fixed, hopefully it wont take another 14 mnts of wasted time and effort

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, understand, this is the point where you pm @CommunityHelps, and I'm sure they will read thru this thread.  Work completed, no effect, please investigate and pass to the appropriate staff for further action.  With the history on file, you do not have to start from the ground floor again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

k started with the ofp since they were the last contact so i am now at the waiting stage to see whats what, i sent them screen shots of my rogers speedtest to show them that if any wrk was done it hasnt improved my end results, so i am now sitting and twiddling my thumbs waiting for maintence who i suggested that they should get a copy of my eamil with rogers speedtest results allso to get back to ofp who then may or may not get back to me, last time i tried to get answers out of the ofp concering maintence it took a couple of weeks for them to let me know what was going on and that was after me sending them a few emails at week 2 of waiting.  What puzzles me about this whole repair that was supposedly done/fixed you would have thought there would have been some kind of contact from rogers requesting that they would have needed to come to my house to check to see that all was good/bad instead of just assuming that things were fixed..o well what can yo do ?  espically after doing that tech chat thing rogers has and they cant find any records of maintnce wrk done or to be done accually the last think they found was a ticket from may that was closed but no mention of any future wrk that was needed?

As far as my question to what kind of average speeds i should see in house not what speedtest says i am capable of but what i should accually get, that question dosnt seem to be answerble, to many factors involved, even the question is why does my download speed in house max out at around 33m for one dl but if i start another dl from a diffrent server that 33m will drop because of the 2nd dl, and be split between the 2 or how many i am doing,  i know its not being done anymore but you all remember the days when isp cap us well thats how i feel with only being able to get a consetent 33/3 on a 250/20 🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

the best test is an actual download and see if you are getting 2 to 4 MB's (megabytes) a second or better

i always use a microsoft download for a real test

e.g. https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/Windows_Win7SP1.7...

i get about 2 to 3 MB's/sec on ignite 100 using wifi ... you should probably get twice that depending on your wifi... if you're patched in, should be even better

the inconsistent speeds are likely network issues

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

well that was interisting   2.5 MB's/sec   average dl speed on patched i dont use the wifi for any dl takes way to long 🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

that's probably microsoft's server... try some other sizable downloads from other places and see what you get

seems others are having issues:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/293...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/294...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I had Ignite 500Mbits for the past months and i been having problems with internet. I never got the 500 mbits result which im fine with as long as i can get my stuff going which is not the case.

Recently i just saw that the Gigabit package was cheaper than the 500Mbit i was paying for so i gave it a try and changed to this new package, the speeds are not even close to it, everytime i do a speedtest on Rogers Speedtest i get speeds of 970Mbits, any other speedtest website i use i dont get more than 500Mbits if im lucky.

Everytime i go to the rogers live chat and ask for support the conversations always ends with them sending me to the store and get a new modem, everytime i go there and do this nothing changes, i swapped my modem 4 times already and i always get a refurbished one, so im guessing more people have the same issue and they just change the modems from one person to the other.'

Im looking for suggestions on how to make this better.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

Good evening @Yahikoo,

Thank you for your post! We definitely recommend using Speedtest to test your Internet speed.

For the most accurate test, consider these points to ensure the best estimate.

1. Use a direct connection. Connect your computer to your Rogers modem using an Ethernet cable, instead of using Wi-Fi.
  2. Take all other devices offline. During the test, ensure that your device is the only one connected to your home network and that no other applications are running.

If you didn't get the results you expected, try the test again using these quick tips:

• Minimize interference. If you tested over Wi-Fi, try again closer to your modem or switch to your Rogers Wi-Fi network with “5G” at the end of the name, if available.
  • Consider your device’s capabilities. If your device has speed limitations, try the test using a different device, or multiple devices simultaneously then total the results.

Keep in mind: Every device online at the same time is using a portion of the total speed for your home.

For further assistance, please let us know the details of the issues you're experiencing and the time of day during which they occur. It could also be very useful if you told us more about the troubleshooting steps you've going through so far.

If you need more information on how to optimize your Internet speed and Wi-Fi connections, take a look at this article.

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi @RogersMaude ,

Just like i said, i used to have 500mbit connection and the download and upload were just nice, i would get the 480+ download and always 20mb upload, i just changed to Gigabit cause i got a nice deal and now when i do my speedtests i dont even reach 300mbits of download, the upload is always fine.

Im using the exact same setup i used when i had the 500mbit, doing the speedtests wired via ethernet.

Seems like since the package change the routing also changed and this one is not working properly for me, i have a better plan with which im paying slightly more but i dont even reach the speeds i had on my older plan.

Regards.