Which modems can I get from a third party?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Which modems can I get from a third party?

Hello again,

I am just confused about the idea of can i buy a modem not from Rogers and then use it without already paying the rent of the one Rogers provided me?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

I Plan to Stick Around

The bottom line - NO! You pretty much have to get a modem from Rogers and either rent it or buy it! A few people have been fortunate enough to get a 3rd party modem provisioned by Rogers but you have to go through a lot of hoops to do this! If you are going to stay with Rogers, get one of their wifi modems, have it put into bridge mode, and then use your own router!

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry but what is Bridge mode?

I Plan to Stick Around

Bridge mode is when you have the built-in router on the gateway modem from Rogers disabled in order to use your own 3rd party router. Your own 3rd party router works much better than the built-in router in terms of getting better signal range and does not suffer from dropped connections. You can put it into bridge mode yourself or call Rogers and they will do it remotely. Many customers do this because of the poor quality of the modems provided by Rogers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You don't have to rent the gateway. You can buy it from Rogers or say from futureshop and use it as well, with no rental.
But it's still a Rogers modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

That is actually what I said above - that you can either rent or buy the modem! In fact, Future Shop is currently selling the CGN3 for $50 less than Rogers!

I Plan to Stick Around

Since 3rd party is not possible, does anyone out there know what current options are offered in order to effectively use my own router. I think I'm looking for the least expensive option since I expect it'll serve no other purpose than to bridge to my own router.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ANY of them will be able to go into bridged mode.

Only restriction, is that for ULTIMATE they are requiring the CGN3.  But for any other plan, you should be able to use any of the other gateways.
SMC

Cisco

Hitron CNG2

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there.  Just read your post.  Yes you can buy a modem that will work with Rogers.  I bought mine at Bestbuy.  It's a Hitron CGN3.  Make sure you call Rogers before you install it.  They will probably want you to take back your old one first.  That's the best solution that way you don't have to call and get a hassle later.  Your bill should reflect about a $7 recuction per month so I think it's worth doing.

Dan

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry but that's not correct.  You can buy a Hitron CGN3 at Bestbuy for $50 less than from Rogers.  Just notify them before you install the new one and send your old one back first.

Dan