Which modems can I get from a third party?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Which modems can I get from a third party?

Please confirm when Rogers will provision this new SURFboard Cable Modem SB8200. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AW-7:

What internet package do you have?  Rogers rarely provisions third party modems any more.  All of the internet packages come with a "free" rental modem now depending on the package.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have Rogers Ignite 75 right now. The rental cost is extra $10 so I am sure Rogers can provision a 3rd party modem.

Any idea when Rogers can test surfboard sb8200?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is more than just testing for the initial deployment.  There is the never ending issue of ongoing support to test and roll out firmware updates to the modems and train technical staff to support the modem.  Both the Intel Puma 7 and Broadcom BCM3390 DOCSIS 3.1 modems are fairly new to the cable modem community and both probably require significant support by the ISPs to see them reach their real potential.  Its still early days for both modems.  Beyond that, I suspect that Rogers will never allow user owned SB8200s on the network unless they have decided to deploy them as company issued modems.  I doubt that would ever happen unless there is a significant "change of mind" within Rogers.  The future it seems is to employ Gateway modems vice stand-alone modems.  That subject has been debated across forums worldwide, and despite the desire among many users for a stand-alone modem, ISPs have decided to employ Gateway modems instead.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.

On the Ignite75..   on your bill, how does it actually show up?
Does it show the 74.99 plan and the 10 modem separately?

The ignite plans up until before this all included the modem rental, but it was all included in one line pricing.

The internet plan page NOW shows it as two lines.. not sure if billing actually bills that way.  If its not two lines, it couldnt really be 'taken off'

I've Been Here Awhile

I purchased my modem long time ago from the Hybrid Fibre 60 days. So now I am only paying 74.99 for the Rogers Ignite 75. It only show 1 itemize billing + tax.

I think they just recently split the modem and the internet cost separately. Hopefully we can see more 3rd party modem approval soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

Any chance I can use my own third party modem? I recently bought a TP-Link TC7650 and I would like to use it instead of the dreaded Rogers modem with Intel's Puma chipset?

I looked into Teksavvy and they do allow the use of TP Link TC7650 so I can't think of any reason as to why Rogers would not allow it. If they do allow me to use it, well and good, otherwise I am off to Teksavvy where they are offering better speeds for lower price, all while having the freedom to use my own modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lvectorA while I can't speak for Rogers, I can tell you that you won't be allowed to use your own modem on the Rogers network, unless of course you're with a TPIA provider. 

Fwiw, the CODA-4582 which is an Intel Puma 7 modem does not suffer from the latency seen in the Puma 6 modems, which are also an Intel product.  There are other issues, but the latency that the Puma 6 modems are infamous for is not one of them. 

The only exception would be those customers who bought a Hitron CGN3, SMCD3GN-RES or possibly a Cicso modem long ago and are still on grandfathered plans. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Any chance you could quickly go over the main issues that Puma 7 is facing? Also how does the TC7650 stand up against CODA. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I guess the only thing to look at as well, is forward compatibility?

It appears the TC7650 is only a docsis 3.0?

As the majority of new changes that Rogers (and then likely others) will be doing for newer speeds, plans, etc will more likely revolve around docsis 3.1

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation