Which modems can I get from a third party?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Which modems can I get from a third party?

Hello,

I was wondering what modems can I buy from third parties other than the ones Rogers provided me. The modem Rogers provided for me was the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem.   

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Which modems can I get from a third party?

None?

Well thats really not 100% true..

To work on rogers themselves.. it has to be one of their aproved models.
The old and newer SMC.
the cisco 3825

and the two hitrons (regular and advanced).

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

(the newer SMC and the cisco not listed there)

Only those models, are allowed to be added to the rogers network as of right now.
(this is not DEFNDING them at all.. there are many other stand alone modems which they SHOULD be allowing, etc.  Right now they are not though).

While some people have obtained the same model from 3rd party sources for cheaper.. it does take a bit of work to get them added, as the S/N has to be added to the system (vs all the 'rogers' ones are already in there).

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply but would this modem be accepted by Rogers?

The modem number is:

NETGEAR Wireless N750 Dual Band Gigabit DSL Modem Router (DGND4000-100NAS) -

I Plan to Stick Around

@Manpreet5 wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering what modems can I buy from third parties other than the ones Rogers provided me. The modem Rogers provided for me was the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem.   

Yes, Rogers unfortunately will generally not allow 3rd party modems on their network. The irony of all of this is that Rogers has a long list of third party modems approved for use through third party ISPs. Rogers can provision all Rogers-certified modems on their network, so when they say they can't do it for Rogers customers, it's actually not true. There's a reason why they call a standard (like DOCSIS3.0) a standard, so that there is interoperability between same-standard compliant devices. And there's a reason why Rogers certifies modems for use on their network.

Here's a list of Rogers certified modems, for which Rogers can and does provision:
Huawei MT130U (Vi00r001c01B071)
JooHong SL-2810 (10.2.7)
Motorola SB5101N (2.1.7.0)
Motorola SB6120 (1.0.6.12)
Motorola SB6121 (1.0.6.12)
Motorola SB6141 (1.0.6.12)
Motorola SBG6580 (3.2.1.0)
RCA DCM425 (ST52.08.31)
RCA DCM475 (STAC.02.16)
SMC D3GN-RES (3.1.6.42.5)
Technicolor DCM475 (STAC.02.16)
Technicolor DCM476 (STAC.02.50)
Technicolor DCW775 (STB5.01.51)
Thompson DCM475 (STAC.02.16)
Thompson DCM476 (STAC.02.50)

What you will need to do is fight for your right to use a stand-alone Rogers certified modem.

If you can't get Rogers to provision these modems, you can always subscribe to an independent ISP who is connected through the Rogers APOI instead. Such iISP's include Acanac, CIA/3web, Distributel, Primus, Start Communications, and Teksavvy. You pay the iISP, and out of those fees, Rogers gets a pretty big cut to supply the routing from your modem to the independent ISP, and you end up using the iISP's internet feed, not Rogers internet feed.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Manpreet5 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but would this modem be accepted by Rogers?

The modem number is:

NETGEAR Wireless N750 Dual Band Gigabit DSL Modem Router (DGND4000-100NAS) -

This is another gateway modem. Not sure why you would even want to try it unless it is demonstrably better than the gateways already provided by Rogers. If you were looking at a 3rd party modem, I would be looking at a stand alone modem with the option to hook up your own router and not another gateway. Rogers has already proven that gateways are not very good!

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the advice,

I think I will just get Rogers Advanced Wireless Dual-Band Modem (CGN3-ROG) - English.

Also, is there any difference between buying the modem from Future Shop than from Rogers?

I heard the Future Shop modem is better than Rogers but not sure.

I Plan to Stick Around

Personally, I know of no difference between buying the same model at Future Shop or Rogers. In the end, once provisioned, they all end up with the same Rogers firmware!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply to my message

But I was just wondering  what modem can you recommend to me which is not a product of Rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

None of them are a rogers product... they may have rogers branding on them, but are made by modem manufacturers like Hitron, Cisco, etc.

The one at future shop, is the exacct same one.. its just sold by them, instead of rogers.

That model, is the best performing of all the rogers gateway ones so far.. closest to using a 3rd party router seperately.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Manpreet5 wrote:

Thanks for the reply to my message

But I was just wondering  what modem can you recommend to me which is not a product of Rogers?

Sorry, but there is none at all. As I mentioned, Rogers approves multiple modems for use with iISPs, but not for use with their own system. The ones they approve for use with their own system are garbage. You have two choices - move to an iISP or bite the bullet and take a Rogers gateway, put it into bridge mode, and then use your own router!