What's Recommended Method of Backing Up Email?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

What's Recommended Method of Backing Up Email?

I think it's an IMAP account.

Cheers.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What's Recommended Method of Backing Up Email?

IMAP is just a way of connectivity.

I am assuming you just want to make some form of LOCAL copy/backup.. just in case everything is lost on the rogers server side?

Personally.. i would say your best bet, is to use some form of local client..
Outlook, thunderbird, etc... something that itself can be backed up as well.

You would want to use PoP to connect.. this is more of just a DOWNLOAD than a SYNC like IMAP is.

You would just want to make sure in the settings, to make sure under the connection properties, to check the box which says to LEAVE coppies on the server.  Otherwise it would REMOVE them from the rogers server.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your time Gdkitty.

Yes, you assume correctly.

Your response got me wondering about the fact that this is my backup system for my Gmail account's. They're downloaded into Outlook which can then be backed up. However, these Gmail accounts are IMAP for sync purposes. Are you saying that this isn't backing up, or just that the back up will only back up what is synchronized?

Cheers
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I THINK it is 'backing up' per say local.

The problem being... 

Lets say everything goes server side.  As soon as you turn on outlook on that machine, assuming that its CONNECTED to the internet.. SYNC.. and you loose everything.
Assuming you lost stuff server side, you would want to disable the networking on your machine, then go into outlook, and remove the 'account' so it doesnt connect anymore... then you have access to all them locally.

Hense.. why its better to then use PoP to have the local copy.
(which i beleive that gmail DOES support as well)

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again.

How would one deal with sync'ing across multiple PC', mobile devices, etc?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That becomes the problem then.

If you are primarily viewig it via other methods.. like a phone via IMAP.. then hopefully by the time that you do open it to archive them, etc.. it will already remove any stuff you have deleted out, etc.

BUT..
If you are using it on the PC regularily.. then yes, changes wont sync back 😞

Its your sort of damned one way or the other.

Its SUPOSED to be good, that Google, rogers, whoever since its out there.. they are suposed to back up, etc.. that they are never to loose what they have.
Experience with Hotmail.. they lost my stuff 3x in the past.. yeah i dont trust it.

Only other thing.. would be to leave it via IMAP.. but say regularily do an EXPORT out of the mail file?