What port do I open on Hitron CGN3 router to access my computer through SSH

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

What port do I open on Hitron CGN3 router to access my computer through SSH

I set up servers, and I have to open a port on the CGN3 router so I can connect to the servers to do some tests and configurations.  I went through all the port fowarding stetup, and I still can't connect to anything. These are all the ports I oppended up.

FTP 20-20

HTTP 80-80

HTTPS 443-443

SSH 21-21 ( system won't let me open 22-22)

SFTP 115-115

TELNET 23-23

Also 34012-34012

Can anyone help out with this?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What port do I open on Hitron CGN3 router to access my computer through SSH

And your forwarding that port or ports to one specific internal ip?

I've Been Here Awhile

I am in the "same boat". I got CGN3 yesterday and have been unsuccessfully trying to set up the port forwarding. Yes, I have specified 192.168.0.10 (my computer's local IP address) and verified that the web server is running by accessing http://192.168.0.10 from the browser. However, when I use my external IP address obtained at whatismyipaddress.com, nothing happens. By "nothing" I mean no response, not even an error.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I am forwarding to my local IP. When I try to open port 22 I get "The public port range cannot contain ssh management port 22" WHY?

I took my server to my friends house and opened the necessary ports on his modem and I connected to the server with NO issues and right away. This tells me that my server is configured correctly. The problem is the modem Rogers provided me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible that the CGN3 will simply not do the forwarding that you are attempting.  In that case you're only option will be to set the CGN3 in bridge mode and use your own router for firewall, router and port forwarding tasks, etc, etc.  If you have just picked up the CGN3 it probably does not have the latest firmware which is 4.2.4.3  When you log into the CGN3, the status page, which will come up automatically, will show the firmware version.  If it is the previous version, it will take 3 to 4 days for the CGN3 to update.  When that happens do a reset back to Factory Default Settings.  I don't know if the updated version will make any difference to your port forwarding issue, so you will have to test it to make that determination.

There are a good number of CGN3 users who run in Bridge mode and use their own router for everything, wired and wireless.

I've Been Here Awhile

The firmware is at version 4.2.4.3.

I ended up putting it in the bridge mode. I would have preferred if I could leave it in the gateway mode simply because I do not have enough ports on my router and hub. Now I have some of the Ethernet plugs in my home diconnected.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A gigabit unmanaged switch sitting behind your own router should do the job.  If you go this route, just make sure that the switch is a gigabit switch.  Here are some examples:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Gigabit+Unmanaged+Switch&sid=9fmc...

I've Been Here Awhile

I ended up putting it in the bridge mode too. It worked but I didn't exactly want to buy another switch. This is Rogers problem. They either need to fix this with t an update or provide us with a switch to accommodate bridge mode!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While not sure for ssh, I know the port forwarding works otherwise.

I successfully have a web server with port 80 forwarded, and FTP on 21 forwarded, and another http in the higher range for a media server, and all connect correctly from external.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Should have added, in gateway mode with the cfn3.

(And not sure how the briged vs no changes the number of ports. You are usually 4 wither way)