cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What IP is assigned to XB6 when in Bridge mode?

Dahak
I've been here awhile

Request for info - What IP is assigned to XB6 when in Bridge mode... if it's NOT 10.0.0.1

Good day folks. Yes I'm a noob... but I do believe I've worn my fingers raw doing due diligence looking for this single piece of info. Well, TWO pieces of info: IP and login credentials, lol.

Back story:

Received my XB6 (Technicolor version) from Rogers a couple years ago - Internet-only plan. As soon as the installer fellers departed, I changed the default gateway IP from 10.0.0.1 to my existing network's value of 192.168.0.1. All good.

I'm now on the cusp of migrating to an all-Ubiquiti architecture (Unifi UDM-SE Gateway, Unifi Pro PoE switches, several Unifi APs, future cameras, etc, etc), and I'm going to put the XB6 into Bridge mode. (Why, you ask. Well looks like fiber and GB+ speeds are coming to my 'hood finally - so I'd like to be prepared with 'future-proof' gear that will accept it. The UDM-SE will do that quite nicely ... and it's in Stock! Plus, I love to implement proper VLANS for Guest, IoT, etc isolation. Oh, and their native Unifi camera support,  their stellar fully managed switches for a host of wired connections, their wonderful APs and above all their Unifi Network Controller application.)

BUT - in the course of doing my research, there are recurring (and concerning) posts regarding not being able to log back into the modem once it is switched to Bridge Mode. Specifically, since it is currently at 192.168.0.1 in Gateway mode, I'm not at ALL certain what it's new IP will be once switched to Bridge. I sincerely hope to avoid having to factory-reset every time I need/want to get back into the management pages. From what I have read so far, it seems to change depending upon it's initial IP in Gateway mode. 

Ahhhh, . - sorry for the long-winded build-up, but I'm rather elderly, and I think randomly hunting and pecking at IP addresses in the hope of hitting upon the correct one  would be a poor use of my limited remaining time on this ball of dirt ;-)).

IF for some reason it's NOT 10.0.0.1 - and I don't think that it will be, given the initial change I made to 192.168.0.1 - my fear is having to factory reset, thereby losing all of the tweaks/settings I've entered over time, just to be able to log in again. And again - rinse & repeat -  if I ever need to restore for Rogers support, or any other reason for that matter.

Hence - has anyone an idea here (talking to the folks who have already successfully travelled down this same path)? My apologies if I've missed a post that already definitively address this - all I've been able to find just sorta dances around this, or simply directs one to factory reset. Perhaps it's my advanced age, lol. 

Regardless, my thanks in advance, solution or not. This is a wonderful resource filled with very nice, patient and capable folks. Well done.

[ As to  investing in the Unifi universe, there is no such thing as Overkill, there is just shoot and reload ;-)). Did I mention I love VLANs? ]

Regards and Cheers

Dahak

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Request for info - What IP is assigned to XB6 when in Bridge mode... if it's NOT 10.0.0.1

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can still log into an Ignite gateway while it is in Bridge Mode.  I haven't tested this... but I am pretty sure that if you change the gateway's IP address to 192.168.0.1 then it will continue accept connections on this address while it is in Bridge Mode.

This is important because if you plan to use this same address space again for the internal networks on your Ubiquiti gear, you will (obviously) not be able to connect to the Ignite gateway at 192.168.0.1 anymore because those packets will be processed by your own router and will never be forwarded to the Ignite gateway.

If you do plan to use the 192.168.0.0/24 address space on your internal network, then I would factory-reset the Ignite gateway so that it goes back to using 10.0.0.1.  When it is in Bridge Mode, you will still be able to connect to it at 10.0.0.1.

If you are an Ignite TV customer and are worried about being able to get support, there are network design strategies that you can use that will make reverting the Ignite gateway in and out of bridge mode much less disruptive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Request for info - What IP is assigned to XB6 when in Bridge mode... if it's NOT 10.0.0.1

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can still log into an Ignite gateway while it is in Bridge Mode.  I haven't tested this... but I am pretty sure that if you change the gateway's IP address to 192.168.0.1 then it will continue accept connections on this address while it is in Bridge Mode.

This is important because if you plan to use this same address space again for the internal networks on your Ubiquiti gear, you will (obviously) not be able to connect to the Ignite gateway at 192.168.0.1 anymore because those packets will be processed by your own router and will never be forwarded to the Ignite gateway.

If you do plan to use the 192.168.0.0/24 address space on your internal network, then I would factory-reset the Ignite gateway so that it goes back to using 10.0.0.1.  When it is in Bridge Mode, you will still be able to connect to it at 10.0.0.1.

If you are an Ignite TV customer and are worried about being able to get support, there are network design strategies that you can use that will make reverting the Ignite gateway in and out of bridge mode much less disruptive.

Dahak
I've been here awhile

Thank-you, sir.

I was indeed aware of the potential address space conflict, as I saw a reference to same in an earlier post (I think it may have been yours, lol), however I completely overlooked the most obvious - and dare I say, elegant - solution you kindly presented - simply factory resetting the modem prior to using it as a bridge going forward.  Which also avoids the aforementioned address conflict. ;-)). 

[Regarding any future Ignite TV usage, I don't think so, but thanks for the reminder. I prefer to segregate TV, phone and internet services  via different vendors and infrastructure, even if it costs me more.  That has already paid off more than once in my neck o' the woods, ;-)).]

Again - my thanks! Stay Safe!

Regards;

Dahak

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation