cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Are the Rules for Labeling an EMAIL SPAM?

DS256
I plan to stick around

I am looking to understand why messages to friends with @Rogers email accounts either don't get my email or find it in trash. I have my own personal domain I send emails and I tested sending an email to myself on @Rogers. The email was dropped into SPAM. There are 2 problems with this:

• There is no indication why it was flagged as SPAM. I escalated a case today but received an email there was nothing they could do. Could be they are managing real emergencies these days.
  • I use Thunderbird for email and have my @Rogers account setup. It does not map the Rogers SPAM folder so I would not know of any SPAM unless I logged into the Web Client.

Not sure of anyone here that can comment on SPAM rules that are being violated  so I can try and make changes from my personal domain side.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What Are the Rules for Labeling an EMAIL SPAM?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers/Yahoo uses algorithms to weed out spam. This is a two-fold process. If the algorithm is certain that an incoming message is spam, you won't even see it.  If it's likely that it's spam, then it'll get directed to your spam folder.

I check my spam folder once a week using webmail and the algorithms must be working really well because all I get in my spam folder is spam and there's very little of that - one or two per month.  No spam e-mails get through to my Outlook e-mail client and no real e-mails "go missing" from what I can tell in my correspondence with others.

If an e-mail address has been hacked, then the e-mail from that hacked account will often end up in the receiver's spam folder.  Often people don't even realize that they've been hacked and that their e-mail address is being utilized to send spam. About the only way to know is if someone alerts you to this fact.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers/Yahoo uses algorithms to weed out spam. This is a two-fold process. If the algorithm is certain that an incoming message is spam, you won't even see it.  If it's likely that it's spam, then it'll get directed to your spam folder.

I check my spam folder once a week using webmail and the algorithms must be working really well because all I get in my spam folder is spam and there's very little of that - one or two per month.  No spam e-mails get through to my Outlook e-mail client and no real e-mails "go missing" from what I can tell in my correspondence with others.

If an e-mail address has been hacked, then the e-mail from that hacked account will often end up in the receiver's spam folder.  Often people don't even realize that they've been hacked and that their e-mail address is being utilized to send spam. About the only way to know is if someone alerts you to this fact.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Just one question. When you say you have your own domain, are you using your own smtp server to send email from your domain or are you trying to use the rogers smtp server with your domain. The latter is not recommended as its the same way spammers use so it will get flagged very easily
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation