WTFast and other ping reducer software

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

WTFast and other ping reducer software

Hello all,

I'm wondering if other people in the community is having similar issues when trying to use ping reducers such as WTFast or PingZapper.

Just to give people some background incase they've experience a similar issue but not with using game specific third party routing.  Similar to a VPN, using ping reducers offers the customers to route their traffic through a different datacenter. To my understand these types of software is specific to gaming and routes only game traffic.  

I've reached out to WTFast and their tech team and have done a few traceroute logs back and forth.  What they are saying is that since there is a hop on my network that is not responding to ICMP packets.  This is is apparently before it reaches their servers.

Before I reach out and open a ticket with Rogers support, I figured i'd ask the community to see if anyone else has been in a situation where they were having ICMP packet loss/response issues. In addition, I plan to sign up for the CODA-4582 firmware program that may hopefully solve the issue.

If anyone has any insight on similar products/enviornments that can shed some light on the cause it would be greatly helpful, for myself and those who are also in the same boat as I am. 

Thanks!

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: WTFast and other ping reducer software

Hey @viewmtrp,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums :).

I appreciate your work in troubleshooting this and engaging our community for feed back :). You've certainly come to the right place! I'll invite a few of our very knowledgeable Resident Experts for some insight. @Gdkitty @Datalink @gp-se 

Don't hesitate to reach out to us via Private Message, once you're ready to enroll in our firmware trials! In case you're not familiar how to PM, please review this BLOG.

Look forward to all your future contributions.

RogersCilio

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you happen to have those traceroute logs?
Remove your own personal IP from them before posting.
Least to see where they are saying?

Sometimes just because a node isnt responding, may just be set not to respond..
Not necessary a loss.
(I have seen ones where it will have a node which doesnt respond, but the ping times are fine all the way to the end host.)

But if you can post, we can at least take a look. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes absolutely.  I'll post the traceroute log once I get back home.

Thanks!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Please see below for the traceroute output.

traceroute.PNGAccording to their support, they mention that the lines with the -- is where it has trouble getting ICMP packets.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tried testing on mine, with the same results.

209.  is still a rogers node..

But the question is WHAT/WHO the next one is?
That wtfast is the next hop after, my guess is the mystery one is the on the next network, which rogers is connecting out to..

So weither its an issue with that node specifically..
Or if a routing issue.. if they could change the routing to take a different path to it..

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

According to WTFast this isn't one of their servers so they can't really route it another path per se.  They also mentioned that its really close to my current location.  How they got this information i'm not sure.  I can maybe try and reach out and see the address of that specific node but I doubt they can say for sure since its not one of their servers.

I will also attempt to connect to a different node and review and post the traceroute. I did try the different nodes last time but did not review the traceroute to see if the issue was the same.  I will post back once I can get any additional information. 

Is it possible to get Rogers to change my routing? Is that even an option? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, it may not be theirs.

But its not necessarily a ROGERS node either.. could be someone else inbetween.

But yeah, choosing a different endpoint node, could make a difference.
At least getting those traceroutes, could see if its going through a very different set of nodes, etc.

While not the best for performance, maybe try one very different (east coast vs west coast, etc)

As for if rogers could change the routing?
I guess its all possible.. but how likely? May be questionable.
I am not sure how granular the routing can be changed.. can they just say dont use it only for THOSE endpoints? I dont know.
It may be to avoid that node alltogether.  Which would help in your case... but that could possibly impact other things as well.  Other endpoints.. if you removed that node, may force them to take a drastically different route which would impact the performance there, etc.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I got an expected and similar response from WTfast.  They mentioned that since its not their node, they can't tell what or where its going.  Additionally as you mentioned ISP usually hide those nodes to avoid being DDOS or potentially targeted.

As for trying different nodes - I went ahead and tried a bunch of different ones and unfortunately they all route the same way out.  They all go through the same first few hops then it goes to the "--" node. My initial traceroute is actually targeted to go to Dallas Texas, I've tried West Coast as well as even Toronto which is immediate to me.

I've also tried to speak with a technical rep with rogers, although they are the first tier of support they said they couldn't even open a case for something specific like that.  Since their diagnostics and checks shows that my line is  OK from their end, they can't do much.

Its quite unfortunate because for the past few weeks my speeds have been slower.  I'm provisioned for gigabit (which I used to get over 900Mbps down and over 30Mbps up) but for the past few weeks i'm unable to get over 600Mbps down and ~15-16 up. I'm not sure if this is related at all but I did sign up for the firmware trial and i'm hoping it makes some difference. 

Anyway at this point i'm not sure what else can be done. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@viewmtrp, running Level 3's Looking Glass, here's the results from New York, Toronto and Montreal to wtfast.com

LEVEL 3 Looking Glass results:

Traceroute results from New York, NY to 104.20.89.37(104.20.89.37)

1 0.0.0.0 * * *
2 0.0.0.0 * * *
3 if-ae-9-2.tcore1.NTO-New-York.as6453.net (63.243.128.121) 7.51 ms 7.33 ms 7.42 ms
4 if-ae-7-2.tcore1.N0V-New-York.as6453.net (63.243.128.26) 6.93 ms 7.02 ms 6.92 ms
5 if-ae-0-2.tcore3.NJY-Newark.as6453.net (216.6.90.14) 7.16 ms 7.10 ms 6.93 ms
6 if-ae-3-3.thar1.NJY-Newark.as6453.net (66.198.70.133) 6.94 ms 6.83 ms 7.12 ms
7 66.198.70.2 (66.198.70.2) 1.63 ms 1.43 ms 1.42 ms *** (TATA Communications server)
8 104.20.89.37 (104.20.89.37) 1.39 ms 1.37 ms 1.32 ms

Traceroute complete

Traceroute results from Toronto, Canada to 104.20.89.37(104.20.89.37)

1 ae-0-11.bar2.Toronto1.Level3.net (4.69.151.242) 0.560 ms 0.521 ms 0.413 ms
2 ae5.cr1-tor1.ip4.gtt.net (173.205.54.173) 0.752 ms 0.762 ms 0.741 ms
3 xe-9-0-1.cr0-tor1.ip4.gtt.net (89.149.184.173) 0.857 ms 0.819 ms
xe-10-2-1.cr0-tor1.ip4.gtt.net (89.149.180.197) 0.804 ms
4 cloudflare-gw.cr0-tor1.ip4.gtt.net (69.174.23.94) 1.774 ms 1.798 ms 1.667 ms ***(GTT Communications server)
5 104.20.89.37 (104.20.89.37) 0.770 ms 0.749 ms 0.739 ms

Traceroute complete

Traceroute results from Montreal, Canada to 104.20.89.37(104.20.89.37)

1 ae-3-5.bear1.Montreal2.Level3.net (4.69.141.6) 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
2 motl-b1-link.telia.net (213.248.96.14) [AS1299 {TELIANET}] 0 msec 0 msec
Tata-level3-10G.Montreal2.Level3.net (4.68.127.230) 0 msec
3 cloudflare-ic-320390-motl-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.84.147) [AS1299 {TELIANET}] 8 msec 8 msec
66.198.96.74 [AS6453 {GLOBEINTERNET}] 8 msec
4 104.20.89.37 [AS13335 {CLOUDFLARENET-AS}] 8 msec 8 msec 4 msec

Traceroute complete

So, all of the traces complete to the end target.  The last trace shows that the wtfast.com server belongs to Cloudflare Inc.  Looking at the Whois data, I tried running a trace to other Cloudflare addresses and ended up with the same result, they all timed out on the second last address with no ID provided.  I might be wrong, but its either a case of Cloudflare blocking the second last address, or possibly Rogers blocking the address.  I've never seen a Rogers server address blocked at the border, so I don't believe its a Rogers server, although hey, I could be completely wrong.  Someone like @RogersSergio would probably have the tools necessary to determine the server owner and location. 

https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-16-0-0-1/pft?s=104.20.89.37

Fwiw, looking at the Hurricane Electric Looking Glass, it looks like Hurricane Electric peers directly with wtfast. There's only two servers showing for both Toronto and Montreal and they are the Hurricane Electric server and then the wtfast server.  That brings up the question of what does Rogers do?  Does Rogers peer directly with wtfast, or does it go thru a middleman, so to speak.  Wish we had a network engineer on the forum who could answer those questions.  The gamers in the crowd would certainly appreciate the input.