WPS Button on Rogers Advanced Wifi Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WPS Button on Rogers Advanced Wifi Modem?

CNG3ACSMR - Strange state after power cycle. Just curious.

Yesterday, while in the middle of attempting to sort out network connection issues with Rogers, I decided to power cycle the CNG3ACSMR again and try a Factory Reset. I could not remember the procedure for the reset, so I tried holding in the WPS button while cycling it, to see if that was it. 

This is where it gets interesting. All the LEDs on the front lit, and stayed lit. The curious thing is that two new "open" SSIDs started broadcasting, HITRON_ATH_2G and HITRON_ATH_5G.

Anyone any idea what state this was in? Power cycling again, cleared this with no ill-effects. 

Hello, @zardoz99

Thank you for sharing your curiosity with the Community. Basically, when you have held the WPS button, the push button configuration method got activated which allows WPS capable devices to join the wireless network. It's generally active for about two minutes. I recommend to turn off WPS as it's less secure, it can be done in the Wireless Section of modem's admin console/panel. 

If you are still looking to reset your modem to factory defaults, please follow the walkthrough.

Cheers, 

RogersMoin 

I've Been Here Awhile

WPS on the HiTron CGN3ACSMR not working with Extender ?

I'm trying to connect a brand new TP-Link range extender to my HiTronCGN3ACSMR.  Pressing the WPS button on the router and extender etc - it blinks but not pairing with the extender...thought WPS on router is disabled so tried to login into the HiTron, however, HiTron login screen keep saying I've got the wrong password, although I'm using the current working home wifi password..any help ?  I'm not interested in re-setting the home wifi password, and I actually can't since I cannot login into the (perfectly working) router...

Hello, @Moe72.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your experience connecting the extender to your gateway modem (CGN3ACSMR). When you press the WPS button on the modem, the red flashing indicates the WPS has enabled on it.

How far was the extender when you were trying to connect to the modem? Have you tried rebooting the modem?

Alternately, you can try configuring your range extender via its Web GUI. 

If you need assistance in resetting the modem's login password, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your help !

I ended up connecting the extender today.  However it was not by pressing the blinking WPS buttons.

Rather, by login into the extender directly and then adding it up to my home wifi. 

The trick was to connect to the extender from someone else's phone who had access to the internet using their data plan - and not using my home wifi.   Then we fed into the extender my home wifi password.  And then I re-booted the extender by unpluggin it and taking it to a new spot in the house.  And then after re-plug, it took a minute or so to re-think and login into my home wifi - whereafter they all live happily together.

Highlighted

Hello, @Moe72.

You're welcome! 🙂

Thank you for sharing the process; I'm glad you were able to connect the range extender to your network.

Cheers,

RogersMoin