WPS Button on Rogers Advanced Wifi Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

WPS Button on Rogers Advanced Wifi Modem?

I am wondering where the WPS button is on the modem because I got a range extender to connect to it and I have no idea where it is.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: WPS Button on Rogers Advanced Wifi Modem?

The WPS button is on the front of the CGN3, under the LEDs. 

From the manual:

Press this button to begin the WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) Push-Button Configuration (PBC) procedure.  Press the PBC button on your wireless clients in the coverage area within two minutes to enable them to join the wireless network.

However, given that WPS is a security hazard as is can be hacked, it should be disabled.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do agree with Datalink.

WPS in general is a security risk.. and there have been many exploits based around it being enabled on different devices in the past.

You would be best to connecct it via OTHER means
(like setting a static address for your extender so it doesnt change, etc).

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I haven't used the CGN3 in gateway mode for a while but as I recall it also has the ability to do IP reservation based on MAC addresses.   That way you can avoid having to create a static IP address and loading DNS, etc manually.   It seemed to work when I tried it out.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, it does have a reservation.

I found, milage may varry with reservation, at least last time i used it (was on a much older router).
One device.. it NEVER worked on.. was the right MAC address.. but never would accept the address.
The 1-2 PCs i had it on at that time, seemd to take LONGER to get their connection.. longer to then take the address, vs it already being there. (though, i guess that could be part of how the network card itself worked)

If its a device that is never moving from there (desktop, wired device, etc), no harm in setting on the device if its easy enough 🙂

On a laptop, phone, etc.. definately an advantage to do it via the reservation though... as set on the device would apply to ANY network it connects to.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

On a laptop, phone, etc.. definately an advantage to do it via the reservation though... as set on the device would apply to ANY network it connects to.

That's not the way that it works with iOS devices such as iPhones or iPads.  When you set a static IP it only applies to that specific network/ SSID not to all networks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually.. now that i think about it.. you ARE right zaphodb 😄

Since you are setting those peramiters, on the CONNECTION after it is made...

Say comparibly on a PC, where you are putting them on the ADAPTER itself.

I've Been Around

I am looking for the WPS button on my CGN2 modem. Where is it,please?

I Plan to Stick Around

It's on the side...

download.jpeg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but, WPS is no longer secure and should be disabled in the modem settings.