WIFI cutting in and out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: WIFI cutting in and out

You are right, that is one major thing that people need to check as well overall.. is other wireless interfearance.
It can be simple as, the gateways do not broadcast as strong, and could be crouded out, by nearby other wireless signals.
Especcialy in a crouced very URBAN city area, apartments, etc.  You can find 30 or more i have seen 😞
Also many people never change their channel range, etc.. which means EVERYONE is usually on the default channel 6, all overlaping 😛

All in all, the investment in a good router, is a good idea.
choosing a dual band like you did, if you have devices which can connect to it, can take advantage of the 5.8ghz range and usually less interfearance.

But always good to check out whats going on in the area right from the start 🙂  (great program to do so, by the way, i use it professionaly 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

WIFI does not work well, even internet speed is fast. i can not even watch youtube movie completely.

i tried to figure it out by googling. why do i have to waste time for this???

and rogers charges every over limit usage.just 100$ they give discount. kidding me?? i haven't seen any notice when the usage was over.

i will naver ever use this service. 

I've Been Around

I recommend purchasing an asus ac66u or apple airport extreme. Both routers are 199 + tax.

Or if you wish to spend a little less money rt n66u for 149 + tax. 

Canada Computers is a good place to shop for routers. Rodgers routers tend to have very weak signal strength.

I just bought the airport extreme router from the apple store and my range has tripled. I can now stream 1080p movies to the far corner of my backyard 🙂

I've Been Around

is so very close to cancelling my Cable, Internet and phone due to the constant problems.  So annoying to pay all that money and not even get your cell phones to stay connected to Wifi, and computer is constantly redirecting circle is all I get, slow as molasses. Even Bell Canada is sounding good to me now.   😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Teresa58 perhaps we can help.  We would need more detail however to know what to look for and suggest. 

Wifi on the Hitron modems has been a long standing issue.  It works, but as you may have seen, its not great.  That is typical of all-in-one modem / router combos used by ISPs.  So, no matter what ISP you look at, you would probably find the same issues.  As usual, location of the modem plays a big part in coverage throughout the home.  One point to remember is that the modem may be parked wherever you have an active cable outlet, so if the modem requires relocation to provide that coverage, you can usually do that yourself.  There is an issue ot determining what port on the splitter that the modem is located on, but that can be easily changed.

Having said that, my usual advice for anyone experiencing issues with the Hitron wifi is to stronly consider buying a good router and run the modem in Bridge mode.  A good router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports will make a considerable difference in wifi performance and coverage throughout the home.  I and many others here on the forum use an Asus RT-AC68U which is a good router.  Not the most expensive out there, but not the cheapest either. 

Here is some food for thought.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in, so, I'm not surprised that you're having problems.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is any 2.4 Ghz channel that is clear enough that it might work with the present modem.  All it takes is for one of your neighbors to have brought home a modem or router recently which is now competing with yours for a clear channel.  Never know unless you have a look, using something such as inSSIDer.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display,  everything else should be well below yours.  When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, look at channels 149 and higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.  

Fwiw, the Hitron modem does not support beamforming, which is part of the 802.11ac spec.  That allows the modem/router to aim a focused signal towards the laptop/device, etc, etc.  The result is better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates at the device.  The RT-AC68U, now replaced by the RT-AC68P supports implicit and explicit beamforming, meaning that the router can determine on its own, where the device is and focus a directed wavefront in the devices direction, and that in conjunction with the device, direct a focused wavefront toward the device (explicit).  Here's a link that provides some explanation:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061907/all-about-beamforming-the-faster-wi-fi-you-didnt-know-you-nee...

http://www.howtogeek.com/220774/htg-explains-what-is-beamforming-on-a-wireless-router/?PageSpeed=nos...

In terms of Nextbox issues that you might be having, that is due to the ongoing attempt to replace the Cisco softwre with Espial RDK software.  There are a few threads running that can be seen in the TV section of the forum.  If you are generally displeased with that attempt, head over to the TV section to voice your opinions. 

In terms of overall signal issues, if you are having problems with all devices, then you should contact Tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the internet and cable modems.  If there are cable signal level issues that need addressing, the CSR will arrange for a tech visit.  That alone might clear up the vast majority of the problems.  If you believe that you might be having signal issues, you can log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Any issues with signal levels will show up in those tables.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if you need further assistance 🙂

I've Been Around

The same for me, my internet turns off for about 30 minutes but I unplug the Router then my internet works right away but turns off like 6 more times. The Rogers people came to my house and just tugged on a few wires not doing anything and says your internet  is working fine then he leaves and then about 10 minutes later it turns off for about 35 minutes, no one touching it. Please Help This Happends EveryDay.

@mrfoulds wrote:

I am having a horrible time maintaining a wifi connection with Rogers.  I keep having to disconnect from the network and then reconnect to get any connectivity.....anyone else having this problem?

***edited labels***

@mrfoulds wrote:

I am having a horrible time maintaining a wifi connection with Rogers.  I keep having to disconnect from the network and then reconnect to get any connectivity.....anyone else having this problem?

***edited labels***

Hello, @user1694579

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

I understand the inconvenience of not having a stable Internet service, were you able to resolve your issue?

You have mentioned that the Internet turns off, do you mean the wired devices go offline? Or just the WiFi drops the connection.

Just to rule out it’s not the signal issue, would you please post the Downstream and Upstream tables from the Status/DOCSIS WAN page of the modem, this data will help in analysing the signal reaching to your modem.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

I do as well. My wifi was working well for the last 2 years. I really have not changed anything and every night practically I'm having to reboot the rogers modem. I called support and got the standard trouble shooting advice. My take is Rogers is not providing proper service. They are quite possibly throttling users. There is absolutely no reason I should be experiencing these issues when nothing has changed. I am at the point of frustration and will consider moving ALL my services. I pay Rogers over $200 a month however their service has become very sub standard in recent months. Don't tell me that it's a phone or the wifi is too far away or too many items are connected at the same time. Lame excuses
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few qestions.

While you said you have  not changed anything.. has anything else changed in the area?  Are you in a townhouse or apartment?  Possibly where someone else nearby could have put something in which then might be causing interfearance.

An other one, which exact modem do you have? (and tied with that, which plan)
(just trying to gauge a few things which may go part in parcel with that)

Intentional throttling?  Probably not.
But doesnt mean you might not be experiencing the same sort of symptoms due to other things.
Could be an issue with that node.. that it is experiencing it only under heavy load... either from failure or from possibly overselling? (depending on where you are)
Thats one reason why i ask about the modem as well.  While some of the older ones can handle the SPEED more than well enough.. many of them are much lower on the CHANNEL capabilities.  Think of these channels are lanes on a road.  Some of the older ones are only 4 lanes.  Not bad.. but under HEAVY traffic, still could get slowed down.  Some of the newer ones are 24 or higher.  So adds a LOT more lanes, so less chance of congestion.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am in a detached home where I've been for the past 10 years. There is nothing new in the area. My plan is Rogers Ignite 100u with a Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Rental.

I am really not sure whats happening but my ADT security system keeps going down whereby I am unable to access it whenever the Rogers Modem goes down. This has never been an issue in the area with this modem. The question is how does Rogers Fix this issue? I have to reboot nightly these days. It has become quite annoying.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats