WIFI cutting in and out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

WIFI cutting in and out

I am having a horrible time maintaining a wifi connection with Rogers.  I keep having to disconnect from the network and then reconnect to get any connectivity.....anyone else having this problem?

***edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: WIFI cutting in and out

@mrfoulds;

I hate to seem like a stickler for details, but would you please be more specific/precise in what kind of problem you are having, and what equipment you are using?

You write: "I am having a horrible time maintaining a wifi connection with Rogers."  Are you trying to maintain a WiFi connection to a Rogers-provided modem/router?  Or are you trying to maintain a wireless connection of the cellular kind, using, let's say a RocketHub?

What kind of device/equipment are you using?  As it is, with the information you have provided, we can't judge what is happening, whether we have the problem you are having, or if we can offer suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Please give us some more information.

skinorth

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yeah, hard to say without answers to the questions that skinorth asked.  If we're talking about a wireless router, then a lot of things can kill your connection - another router in proximity, a microwave oven, a cordless phone and quite a few other gizmos. Now that would suck because there isn't much you can do about that especially if it's the neighbours' stuff killing your wifi.  Once we know more it'll be easier to know if it's better news, like a simple configuration issue or just defective hardware, stuff like that.

Edit: An interesting article titled "What's killing your Wi-Fi?": http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/367672/whats-killing-your-wi-fi

I'm an Advisor

@MichelR:

thanks for posting the link to the UK article on WiFi interference and other performance issues.

Somehow, I feel that the article only hinted at some of the implications of ubiquitous WiFi deployment we now see.

But my gut feeling is that this article is pointing in the right direction when considering the results of interference and its effects on WiFi functioning and performance.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

I recently experienced an issue where my wifi connections would start dropping randomly after about 15 minutes. It would happen at different times to different devices in my WLAN. Win7 Network Center would insist that the connection was there, but no Internet was present.

Modem: Motorola Surfboard rented from Rogers.

Router: D-Link Extreme N (DIR-624, I think)

Clients: Win7 desktop, Win7 laptop, Android tablet and two iPhones

Everything had been running fine for almost two years, then the trouble started a week after getting the tablet. So first I tried re-registering all devices in the network, one by one, in different orders. No luck. Then I tried connecting directly to the modem via CAT5 cable, bypassing the router, first with the desktop and then with the laptop. Success! I ran off to Best Buy and bought a Cisco Linksys E4200 router on sale, and everything's been fine since.

My best guess is that adding yet another device to my WLAN caused the D-Link router to work hard enough that it started experiencing enough heat stress to fail intermittently. Whatever.

YMMV

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My hi speed lite internet is constantly slow and my windows constantly stops working. Glad i don't use my internet for work. I have a wireless router. When i take my laptop to the computer repair store down the road from my house they clean my computer and check how it running. They tell me my internet speed is good and they said maybe a virus slowed it down. As soon as i get the laptop home i turn my laptop on and it is still slow and the internet continues to stop working. I am looking at a new internet provider since this is frustrating just to read nfl.com or mlb.com or msn.com or check my email. Any help would be appreciated. I have not called tech support because i trust my computer repair shop way more, (especially after talking to the t.v. tech help.)as i am also frustrated with my t.v.(on demand). Maybe i should just drop rogers.

I'm an Advisor

@techchallenged:

your computer repair store said "... maybe a virus slowed it down."  Well, did they actually find anything like a virus on the laptop?  If they did find something, did they take the required steps to clean your laptop and remove any viruses they found?

If you would give us some information on the type of Internet connection you have, and the kind of modem/router you are using, we might be able to give you some suggestions on what the problem might be, or what steps you should take to fix things.

You say that you trust your computer repair shop "way more".  No doubt it's always comforting to deal with someone that you know and trust!  But, has your computer repair shop actually helped you resolve your Internet problems?  Have they actually removed any viruses or other malware from your laptop?  After your computer repair shop has worked on your laptop, has your Internet worked any better?

If there were actually viruses on your laptop, and they were in fact removed by your computer repair shop, they would not reappear the instant you connected to your home Internet access.  It would take some time, days or weeks perhaps before they would reappear.

Please post again and let us know the details of your problem, and maybe we can help.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a MacBookPro, OS S Lion 10.7.5. That, and a PC are on the same D-Link router. We also have two iPads. Things worked reasonably well - on and off for three months. Then no wi-fi. The explanations ranged from 'you preferred networks are not available' to 'a connection timeout has occurred'. The distance between all these devices is about 1 meter. I had to buy an ethernet cable to be able to get on internet with the MacBook. Of course there is no such option for tha iPads. Even if there were, what's the point of having a tablet that has to be hooked to something else.

MacBookPro and iPad word everywhere else, i.e. hotel wi-fi, airports etc. Only here at home does nothing work.

There was a wireless Rogers telephone in the room, but it was here even when the wi-fi sometimes worked. I took it away nevertheless. There are still about half a dozen of them in the house.

Yesterday our technician installed a new D-Link router and wi-fi was on. All the devices worked. This morning, after the MacBook had 'slept' overnight, all the old problems were back. The routers info says: number of wi-fi clients 0. Yesterday the  MacBook, iPads and the technician's iPhone weres still listed.

This may be an apple problem, but I cannot get onto their support forums because I have a problem with my apple-id. For this and other things I shall have to visit apple in person.

So is this a Rogers problem? Interfering wireless-phone problem? An apple problem? All of the above and a Poltergeist?

Does anyone have this same problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not thinking this is a Rogers problem. You said you are using the dlink for the wireless, and that its not seeing any clients, it would be a problem between the device and the router.

Now, if you had the wifi connection ok, and no Internet, that would be Rogers end.

I've Been Here Awhile

IRe: WIFI cutting in and out

I was afraid you'd say that. I don't know what it can be. The same D-link works in the technician's house. My apples work elsewhere. What is wrong with this hous? 😞

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats