WIFI cutting in and out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: IRe: WIFI cutting in and out

@Lamppu:

probably the first thing to investigate is the possibility of WiFi radio interference at your location.  Try different channels for the WiFi and see if that makes any difference.

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Skinorth is possibly correct.

At my place of work, we have wifi in the plant, for a few machine access, and the inventory PCs on the forklifts.
We were having some real issues, and had a wifi assessment done.. For BEST connection, you dont really want much of an overlap of signals, just slightly to be able to do the handoff, and those overlaping signals, should be as FAR away from each other as possible # wise.

Most home based routers, have the default signal and number set... so nearby wifi, could be on the same signal range and interfearing.
Ontop of that, other devices, microwaves.. and especialy cordless phones (2.4ghz and 5.8ghz phones, are the range that most wifi is on).. can make a difference.  Even the HOUSE itself, depedning on how its built..

My wifi, is in the TV cabnet, in the living room, so should be fairly decent range around right?  In my bedroom, i can get 3+/4 bars, pretty good!  Same distance from the router, is the front bedroom.. i barely get 2 bars.  Structuraly, there must be something else in the way interfearing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i agree, check the default wireless channel, you can change that stuff, most ppl have it on channel 6, if u do a site survey, u will see 20 other routers fighting for that channel, why? theres like so many other channels to choose

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The majority of customers reporting Wi-Fi problems from the D3 modems report that changing the channel make no difference whatsoever. I see these these posts on the Rogers Facebook page quite frequently. The one thing that Rogers never seems to want to suggest is using your own router after placing the modem in bridge mode. I guess doing this would be an admission that your equipment is not up to par!

I'm an Advisor

@IHR:

I don't think a D3 modem is being used.  The responses are to a posting by Lamppu who claims he is using a DLink router.

skinorth

I'm a Senior Advisor

skinorth wrote:

I don't think a D3 modem is being used.  The responses are to a posting by Lamppu who claims he is using a DLink router.

The OP posted the following:

I am having a horrible time maintaining a wifi connection with Rogers.  I keep having to disconnect from the network and then reconnect to get any connectivity.....anyone else having this problem?

Many posters, including Rogers own reps, seem to think that changing the channel will alleviate the problems. My point is that many who have tried this have reported no success!

I'm an Advisor

@IHR:

the OP posted that last February.

Subsequent to that the thread was resuscitated about a week ago with the poster who has the DLink and a different set of, apparently non-D3 related issues.

skinorth

I've Been Around

Re: WIFI cutting in and out

Hi Folks, I have been having wifi internet disconnection issues for 2yrs. My rogers modem is connected to a Dlink DIR625. I also use Rogers home phone service. Many times a day my wireless internet connection is lost. My laptop recognizes the wifi connection, but internet access is down. I have to unplug and plug back the Dlink router power for the internet to come back. many times the internet drops after after the homephone is used (incoming or outgoing call. Need a solution now pls!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it was your wifi droping, i would say it might have been interfearance from the phone..

But that you still have the wifi connection, just the net goes down..

Makes me think, that its more likely a signal issue.. that when you are getting a call, there is too much going on on the line, and it cant support both.

Have you had a tech come out to look at things, make sure everything is set up right, correct signals at each location, etc?

I've Been Here Awhile

I've had similar issues for a while now but finally think I may have solved the problem.  Clients of other ISP's such as verizon in the US have had similar issues but saw something yesterday that worked for me.  I downloaded a free program called INSSIDER which showed the various WIFI signals in my densely populated area.  Realizing the situation was relatively hopeless as everyone in my neighbourhood and their grandmother is running WiFI, I went out and bought a high quality dual band router, and turned off wifi capability on my Rogers HiTron modem.  The new configuration cut out like crazy until  I manually set my channel to a relatively weaker signalled one , as opposed to leaving it on AUTO and it seemed to do the trick.  God help me if Rogers comes out with dual band modems as there is only one other 5ghz signal I can pick up in my neighbourhood.