cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN dropping for 1 minute each day

automaton
I Plan to Stick Around

Long ago I had intermittent connection issues with Rogers. My old thread is here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Internet-goes-down-for-5-minutes-once-to-twice-a-day/...

Since then I moved, and for almost 2 years I've had no issues. Last week, with no changes on my end, I've begun to get intermittent disconnects of the WAN (LAN stays up) through the day. It's usually 1-2 times, and almost always it's after I wake up and begin to use the internet. Sometimes it's also when heavy streaming is taking place (i.e. YouTube on 1 device, and Netflix on another).

When the internet is mostly idle (i.e. overnight) it's fine. But as soon as I wake up and start to put a load on it, the WAN goes down for 1 minute or so. Here's the DOCSIS log (from this morning's disconnect):

It's a Hitron CGN3ACR modem:

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 4.5.8.40

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

***EDITED LABELS***

28 REPLIES 28

Re: WAN dropping for 1 minute each day

Hello, @dz8

Thanks for providing us with those additional details. 

From that description of the light patterns it sounds like the modem is dropping the connection to the network. We'll need to investigate this further. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this for you. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

Regards,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony

My internet drops every hour for a minute due to DHCP server issue on Roger's end and no one seems to be able to fix or provide a solution. 

The DHCP lease expiry on the modem is set to 59 mins, upon renewal/check in with Roger's DHCP server my services drop for approximately 1 minute.

Seems like I'm not the only one who's had this issue, however, no one has posted a fix.

example link below;

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Short-DHCP-lease-from-Rogers-causing-brief-internet-d...

My modem was replaced, line checked, and two tickets opened.

FYI - I'm on the new GPON FTTH service.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat wrote:

My internet drops every hour for a minute due to DHCP server issue on Roger's end and no one seems to be able to fix or provide a solution. 

The DHCP lease expiry on the modem is set to 59 mins, upon renewal/check in with Roger's DHCP server my services drop for approximately 1 minute.

My modem was replaced, line checked, and two tickets opened.

FYI - I'm on the new GPON FTTH service.

What equipment did Rogers install in your home?  Could you please provide us with the make and model number of the ONT?  I presume that you also have an Ignite XB7 gateway.

Are you using a standard setup or did you disconnect the Ignite gateway and use your own router instead?

Thanks!

lostcat
I'm Here A Lot

Hi @-G- ,

Equipment below;

ONT: Nokia XS-020X-A

Modem/Gateway: Ignite XB7

As for my setup, it doesn't matter if I use the Rogers XB7 or my own FortiGate Firewall - every hour my internet will drop for a minute.

See the screenshots from my Firewall or the XB7 showing the WAN DHCP Lease time.

Screenshot 2021-10-05 222208.png

Screenshot 2021-10-05 221416.pngScreenshot 2021-10-05 221724.png

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lostcat  Thanks for that info.

I had heard rumours that Rogers may be changing ONT/OLT vendors for upcoming FTTH deployments.  Thanks for confirming that you have the Nokia XS-020X-A ONT.

As for the DHCP lease time, 1 hour is short but still allowable.  A DHCP client will typically try to renew the lease halfway through  the lease time.  At that time, the DHCP server can also choose to extend the client's lease.  It all depends on the policy that is configured in the DHCP server.

Short DHCP lease times can cause problems for some routers but you would think that Rogers would have configured their equipment such that the XB7 would work, and that they would have tested the default configuration extensively.