Very slow internet speeds (CGN3)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Very slow internet speeds (CGN3)

Ive been having problems on and off with my connection over the years, I have called tech support and they schedule an appointment, only for the internet to magically improve right before the technician comes out, making me cancel thinking its nothing...

Right now im paying to get 60mbps, but I just did a speed test and im getting 4mbps, eveyrthing feels super slugish. Its a wired connection, ive tried various trouble shooting, resetting settings, turning off and on the modem, etc. ive reset the basic settings, back to stock, I dont know what else...

Anyone know any tips?

The modem is connected directly to the outlet, not my surge protector.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Very slow internet speeds (CGN3)

Hi,

Can you have a read through a summary that I did not too long ago regarding the CGN3. Here’s the link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

That will explain part of the problem which relates to throughput throttling by the CGN3. The other aspect to look at is the Cable Data, that is the Signal Power levels and Signal to Noise Ratios. If you log into your CGN3, you can see these on the STATUS…..DOSCIS WAN page. Can you copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread so that I can have a look at them. Copy just the tables, none of data that resides above the downstream table which includes your IP address, etc, etc.  Here is an example from my CGN3:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

When you have had a chance to look at your CGN3 to device interconnect rate, and post the tables we can start to sort through the issues. Can you let us know what you see in terms of the port LEDs and what devices you connect to the CGN3. If you use a power bar of any type and surge suppresser of any type, take them out of the loop, so to speak so that the modem is connected to a wall socket, and the modem RG6 cable runs from the wall outlet to the modem. That sounds a little goofy, but I’ve seen cases recently where a power bar was creating so much RF noise that it was bleeding into the RG6 cable, killing the Signal to Noise ratios and causing a lot of problems. Unplug the power bar if you have one so that it can’t create any noise. And if that is the case, rerun a speed test to see what comes out of it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, might need a little more info here as well.

Wired connection.. direct from the CGN3 to the PC?
(not using a powerline connector, etc?)

What type of cable are you using? Is it a Cat5e or 6?

And what type of network card in the end PC?

As well...

Can you log into the CGN3, and post the POWER LEVELS for the channels?
Should be 20 or so downstream and 3 upstream.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry for the delay.

Im using a wired connection directly from the modem, wifi doesnt seem to be affected too much by this it seems. My ping is fine also, I am able to play online games fine, even with the slow download speeds...

I think the cable is a Cat6, Network card is built in realtek on my motherboard.

Yellow LED on the back, so its not throttling cuz of that, and the modem is plugged directly into the wall not a power brick, still slow as heck.

Here are my power levels:

http://i57.tinypic.com/fk4hmb.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, as long as your network cable is ok (would be worth trying to swap it around if you can).. shouldnt be the onboard card.. appears its linking at gigabit fine.

But the power levels.. they are quite low.  You want the signal strength to be as close to zero.. +/- 1... but thats about it.  That you are at -4... i would think that could be part of the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your Downstream power levels are a little low, but that shouldn’t cause really poor performance. Same for Signal to Noise Ratios, but there is one channel that is lower than it should be. Your Upstream power levels are ok as well.  The cable should have Cat 6 stamped on it somewhere. What you don’t want is a Cat 5 or “Fast Ethernet” cable as some of the so called Fast Ethernet cables will only support 100 Mb/s. Given that the CGN3 port LED is amber it doesn’t look like you have either. The Realtek ethernet controller might be the issue. Several people have had issues with Realtek controllers and have ended up installing another ethernet card. Do you have anything else that you can plug into the CGN3 via wired connection for test purposes? If you do a search for   realtek slow ethernet you will come across several threads discussing the issue. Here is one that is of some interest as it advises disabling all advanced features except for Flow Control. As they say it never hurts to try. You should also look for the latest Realtek driver. If there is a newer one available load it, and see what the speedtest results are with the controller settings enabled and disabled except for Flow Control.

http://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller-performance-issues...

Here is another thread that indicates disabling Flow Control as well:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/increase-online-gaming-performance-by-tinkering-wit...

As they say, it never hurts to try.  You might have to reboot after making any changes to the advanced settings.  I'm not sure it the effect will be immediate without a reboot.

What do you see for wireless speedtest results and what server are you using for testing?

Here's the link for the Realtek driver downloads:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=10&PFid=13&Level=4&Conn=3

You will have to know whether the ethernet controller uses a PCI or a PCI Express connection.

Edit:  When you are running speedtests for the purpose of trying to isolate the problem, disconnect everything else from the CGN3.  Unplug any other wired devices and turn off the wireless networks on the CGN3.  Once there, run the speedtests.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would really like to hear the advice from knowledgeable users here.

I recently upgraded my Internet from Extreme (120GB) to Hybrid 150 (350GB). Just the day before I picked up my new modem I tested my speed with old Rogers modem on Extreme Internet plan on bandwithplace.com with following results:

download - 25.2 MBPS

upload - 3.11 MBPS

ping - 21 ms

Next day when I got the new modem and switched to new plan (early August) I got:

download - 77.28 MBPS

upload - 12.47 MBPS

ping - 8 ms

I was away on holiday in August and early September, but since I came back I constantly had a feeling that my connection is very slow. Especially when I access WI-FI from my laptop, iPhones and iPads. So I did the same test and got results (from desktop):

download - 35.92 MBPS

upload - 14.4 MBPS

ping - 21 ms

My Iphone is even more comical:

download - 10.8 MBPS

upload - 16.52 MBPS

ping - 34 ms

I can live with reduced speeds on my desktop (cable link to the modem/router). But my laptop, two iPhones and two iPads in my household are almost unusable on WI-FI. Do I raise this with Rogers and request the better service? Anyone has the same issue and what recourse they took!

I am greatfull for all suggestions and comments.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Can you have a look at post #2 (above), which I wrote in response to similiar issues and we can go from there.  If you can, please follow the same instructions and paste your Downstream and Upstream table data into this thread.

I Plan to Stick Around

I actually am using onboard Intel controller, not realtek.

Anyway, I did what you said about the Flow Control, well I didnt have a Flow control tab in my driver Advance page, but I disabled everything and it seemed to have worked, im getting normal speeds, the interesting part will be seeing if it lasts...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats interesting to say the least.  Not what I expected, but if it works, it works.  Try running a search for  Intel xxxxxx slow   where xxxx is the controller model or name and see what comes up.  You might find something specific to that controller version.  I'd also look to see if there is a driver update that might help.  Now that its running somewhat correctly, you could change the Advance settings back to what they should be, slowly, one at a time to see what specific setting is causing the problem and post your result here.  That might help others in the forum with the same Intel controller.

What plan are you on and what are your speedtest results?  I would expect the speedtest results to max out above your rated plan download / upload rates with Rogers Speedboost kicking in.