This is my first post, and I am doing it because I am tired of complaining to customer support without any resolution to my problems. All they do is diagnose that from their end everything seems to be OK. Sometimes they send a techincian to measure signal levels (which are always OK) and once to replace my modem (no difference).
I am on the gigabit plan, and currently have the CODA-4582 modem with two black dots, hardware version 1A and software version 188.8.131.52 running in gateway mode. All signal levels are OK. Here is a sample of one of the 32 downstream channels:
port freq mod signal (dbmV) chan ID S/N (db)
21 681000000 256QAM 7.600 21 40.366
all other ports are within 15% of this one.
and here are the upstream channels:
port freq mod signal (dbmV) chan ID bandwidth
1 38595687 ATDMA - 64QAM 38.250 3 3200000
2 30596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 36.250 1 6400000
3 23700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 35.250 2 6400000
So, from the modem point of view everything is fine. I also get decent download speeds, usually between 900 and 940 Mbps - close enough to 1Gbps
Unfortunately, upload speeds are all over the place and very rarely they go up to the nominal 50 Mbps. Most of the time they hover around 10 Mbps, but in the evening they go down to around 5 Mbps.
Pings to the gateway vary between 4ms and 530ms and packet loss varies between 0 and 30%. Pinging sites on the internet shows similar results.
I am running smokeping to the gateway, google, yahoo and two VPSes I have with two different providers. All graphs show identical pattern. Here is the smokeping for my gateway for last 5 days:
This all points to some kind of congestion, most likely on the upstream path only, but I can't really say where. When I try to explain this to customer support, I get a feeling that they don't understand what I am talking about. They are nice and polite, but I am afraid that this is above their techincal level.
This situation bothers me because I need fast and reliable upload speed (my wife is a graphics designer and she uploads a lot of artwork), I cannot play anything online, and I frequently get disconnected from PSN and my Netflix stops in the middle of streaming. Couple of times I got disconnected from my bank while paying for my bills.
What can I do to escalate this problem to somebody who can actually do something about it?
Thanks for listening to my rant, any help will be apreciated.
@Datalink Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the DOCSIS status page:
This menu displays both upstream and downstream signal parameters
|Port ID||Frequency (MHz)||Modulation||Signal strength (dBmV)||Channel ID||Signal noise ratio (dB)|
|Receiver||FFT type||Subcarr 0 Frequency(MHz)||PLC locked||NCP locked||MDC1 locked||PLC power(dBmv)|
|Port ID||Frequency (MHz)||Modulation||Signal strength (dBmV)||Channel ID||Bandwidth|
|1||38595687||ATDMA - 64QAM||38.250||3||3200000|
|2||30596000||ATDMA - 64QAM||36.250||1||6400000|
|3||23700000||ATDMA - 64QAM||35.250||2||6400000|
|Channel Index||State||lin Digital Att||Digital Att||BW (sc's*fft)||Report Power||Report Power1_6||FFT Size|
I am still seeing the same problem. Here is the smokeping to my gateway
for the last 10 days:
Rogers support says that they don't see a problem after the investigation. They didn't want to look at my smokeping results. A technician is scheduled to visit my place today again, but I don't have any hope he would be able to solve anything. Everything is fine on my end.
Here is a graph from speedtest.net, upload history. Something changed between February 10 and 14 and I started experiencing this variable upload speeds. The last fairly consistent measurement at ~50Mbps I had on the 10th and then next time on the 14the I had 4.38Mbps. After that it's been all over the place and only occasionally close to ~50Mbps. Here is the graph:
Download has been pretty steady at around 940Mbps during the entire period.
How can I get somebody from Rogers to look at all this evidence?
I have seen times when using the internet (facebook and online gaiming mostly) where the response in very slow. This has sent me down the path to look into ping.
Here is my setup-
1. Hitron CGN3ROG router / modem
2. ethernet cable from computer to router / modem
3. running "Internet Condutivity Monitor" on Chrome
Normal pings are giving me in the 40's ms but also getting pings as high as 1,000 ms.
P.S. location is West London, Ontario
what plan are you on? if you're on the Ignite 100u or higher you can swap to the new CODA modem. The CODA modem with the latest beta firmware is great for low latency/ping. However if you notice your latecny goes bad during peak hours then it could be that your area is congested. I would call tech support when you experience the issue and ask them to check your signal and others in your area.
Thanks for the reply but I'm on Ignite 60 so can't get he better modem.
I have Ping Plotter Pro running and tracking www.google.com, www.rogers.com and www. pingplotter.com. What is constant is that the average at the router is around 7.5 but at the first hop it's in the mid 20's and final hop in the mid 20's for google and rogers but 51 for pingplotter. I also see some packet loss on each.
I tried posting this twice earlier in the day and didn't show up.
Time of doesn't appear to be a problem, somewhat the same at all times of the day.
Here's the router status as 13:13 today:
|Port ID||Frequency (MHz)||Modulation||Signal strength (dBmV)||Signal noise ratio (dB)||Channel ID|
|Port ID||Frequency (MHz)||BandWidth||Modulation Type||Signal Strength (dBmV)||Channel ID|