cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN speed issues on Ignite100 (CGN3 in bridge mode)

Sky11
I'm Here A Lot

Hello folks,

I recently signed up for Ignite100 package, and now I am seeing huge degradation in VPN speeds comparing to previous much slower ISP.

Environment: 

- CGN3 modem in a brige mode

- Router: Netgear R7000 running XWrt Merlin firware port, at 1.2Ghz

- all testing done on gigabit wired network  - all the discussion below is exlusively related to wired internet connection

without VPN: ~130 down, ~10up   

with VPN: 28-35 down if the VPN client is running on router; if VPN running on Win7, single digits download, ~10 up   (same PC without VPN clocks ~130)

Same local setup with previous (cable) ISP:

without VPN: ~32-34 down, ~3up   

with VPN: 20-25 down if the VPN client is running on router; if VPN running on Win7, ~28 down

Real world download tests (HTTP download of Ubuntu ISO)

- thru router, no VPN: ~11.2MB/s (downloaded 1GB ISO is slightly more than one 1 minute)

- the router running VPN client : ~1.2MB/s

Download speed with VPN with previous provider (remember - it was only 30MB profile!) - max 3.5MB/s(!!!!!)

in all cases I am using the same VPN provider with connection to the same US East Coast server.

I fully understand that I cannot get the same speed with VPN as without it; however, it is completely unreasonable to triple internet speed to get much slower downloads. 

I tried to remove the router and connect the PC directly to modem - same horrible single digit results with VPN!

Spent a week with PIA (VPN) tech support - no real improvement.

Tried to chat with Rogers tech support (first level) - literally no help.

Guys, what should I do?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: VPN speed issues on Ignite100 (CGN3 in bridge mode)

Sky11
I'm Here A Lot

I plugged my old modem back - still have Acanac's service up:

No VPN: 34.5 Mbps down, 3.0 up

Ubuntu 15.10image download: ~2.2-2.5MB/s

With VPN (on the router): 32 Mbps down

Ubuntu image download: 1.6-1.75 MB/s

Datalink
Resident Expert

Thats with the R7000 running the VPN?

Just to play devil's advocate here, if you were running a 500 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s service, modem bridged with the R7000 running the VPN, whats the best that the R7000 could do in terms of the VPN data rate?  I'm just wondering what it will support running flat out.  Ever seen any numbers with back to back routers running VPNs, just to take any ISP issues out of the way?

According to this source:  https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/21185/configuration-for-50-mb-throughput-on-p... , my router should be able to push 50MB/s

What I find very inveresting - Windows VPN client is much slower than the router - defies any logic.

Sky11
I'm Here A Lot

Proof that Rogers throttles VPN traffic: once I switched default VPN UDP port to TCP 443, my VPN speed jumped to close 40(!), and Ubuntu download speed has improved - from 1.2MB/s to 2(!)

Well this is not a solution, but an improvement.

Really Rogers? So much for not trottling...