cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using your own DOCSIS modem with Rogers

MikeJakubik
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Why are we forced by Rogers to only use their own DOCSIS modems? I have an awesome Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 that supports DOCSIS 3.1 but Rogers is blocking WAN access to it on purpose. It seems they won't allow me to get a DHCP lease/traffic because my MAC address does not match that of the Rogers modem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using your own DOCSIS modem with Rogers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MikeJakubik wrote:

Why are we forced by Rogers to only use their own DOCSIS modems? I have an awesome Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 that supports DOCSIS 3.1 but Rogers is blocking WAN access to it on purpose. It seems they won't allow me to get a DHCP lease/traffic because my MAC address does not match that of the Rogers modem.

When you have millions of customers to support, you need to standardize on hardware, both for the cable modem and the router.gateway.  It simplifies QA and support, and reduces the training that is required for their techs and support personnel.  With the Ignite gateway, Rogers can also support Internet, TV, Home Phone, value-added Ignite services and future services with a single piece of hardware.

As an IT and network professional with decades of experience, there are times when I would prefer to use a dumb, simple cable modem and my own router.  However, when I was a TPIA customer and suddenly ran into problems overnight due to something that Rogers did, it was a nightmare getting support... and Rogers refused to dispatch a tech until ALL other support options were exhausted.  Rogers does allow you to enable Bridge Mode on their gateways and use your own router... and when problems do occur, all I need to do is revert back to gateway mode and call support; it puts resolving any problem into Rogers' court.  Furthermore, if/when Rogers implements High Split DOCSIS in their networks, it puts the burden on them to provide hardware that supports that configuration.

I don't think that the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem is even on the Rogers-approved modem list, at least not for any TPIA my service area.  However, if it is supported in your area and you really want to use your own hardware, then getting service from a TPIA provider is currently your only option.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Probably the official answer is support - Rogers only supports the official configuration and can't possibly account for every wacky setup people come up with.

Probably the real reason? 💲

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MikeJakubik wrote:

When you have millions of customers to support, you need to standardize on hardware, both for the cable modem and the router.gateway.  It simplifies QA and support, and reduces the training that is required for their techs and support personnel.  With the Ignite gateway, Rogers can also support Internet, TV, Home Phone, value-added Ignite services and future services with a single piece of hardware.

As an IT and network professional with decades of experience, there are times when I would prefer to use a dumb, simple cable modem and my own router.  However, when I was a TPIA customer and suddenly ran into problems overnight due to something that Rogers did, it was a nightmare getting support... and Rogers refused to dispatch a tech until ALL other support options were exhausted.  Rogers does allow you to enable Bridge Mode on their gateways and use your own router... and when problems do occur, all I need to do is revert back to gateway mode and call support; it puts resolving any problem into Rogers' court.  Furthermore, if/when Rogers implements High Split DOCSIS in their networks, it puts the burden on them to provide hardware that supports that configuration.

I don't think that the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem is even on the Rogers-approved modem list, at least not for any TPIA my service area.  However, if it is supported in your area and you really want to use your own hardware, then getting service from a TPIA provider is currently your only option.

MikeJakubik
I've been here awhile

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I ended up returning it and just using my own router with Bridge mode on the modem.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation