Using SMCD3GN-RES with my Rogers subscription...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Using SMCD3GN-RES with my Rogers subscription...

I purchased an SMCD3GN off kijiji that was originally used with Teksavvy (SMCD3GN-RES) after I was told from Rogers that this model is compatible with Rogers.  After spending a total of 4 hours on the phone with tech support and customer service,  and still not being able to activiate it over the phone, I was instructed to go in to a Rogers store and have them activate it in person. I brought my rented Hitron modem in, as well as my SMC modem, and waited patiently as 2 employees were trying to activate my modem.  After 15 frustrating minutes and still nothing working, the guy behind the monitor turn to me and says it cant be activated...

After nearly blowing up on him, I turned the computer moniter around, had a look for myself, politely asked him to change the model number from SMCD3GN-RES to SMCD3GN-RRR and VOILA!!!  Magically I had afull functioning modem that was originally used with Teksavvy, now working perfectly with my Rogers subscription.

Not to be bashing on Rogers employees, but what?? They either aren't educated enough with their own products, or, they're told to make things as difficult as possible for the customer so they cannot save any money.

After all the hassle, I am now saving the $8/month rental fee and spreading the word that YOU ARE ABLE TO USE AN SMCD3GN-RES MODEM WITH ROGERS.

I feel better now... Venting complete.

Cheers

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Using SMCD3GN-RES with my Rogers subscription...

SMCD3GN-RES is probably the exact same model as the SMCD3GN-RRR, likely just the different firmware/software on it.

They were probably doing it right.. putting in the -RES, and the system would not register it..  as thats what the modem says.  Compared to the rogers ones, which are allowed, have the -RRR. 
Now i agree.. you would think these guys would be bright enough to at least TRY that... but that may be giving them too much credit. Smiley Tongue

Good to know and to pass on, that to make sure if anyone else trys this, to tell the person on the phone/store to change the model number entering in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. just wondering too.. IF by chance there is another rogers firmware upgrade that is pushed out to these devices, will it overwrite the -RES firmware on there?

I've Been Here Awhile

GDkitty....

From my understanding, the firmware is the same as what it was when this modem was used with Teksavvy.  The modem was not "upgraded" or tampered with in any way from Rogers.  The only thing that was changed was how the model number (SMCD3GN-RES) was inputted in Rogers computers systems (SMCD3GN-RRR).

And if there is some sort of firmware upgrade sent to the modem, I would simply bring my modem back to the store I got it registered at and would do the same process all over again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, i word it differently.

Correct, currently your one from techsavvy, would be just as it was, just registered on the rogers network now.

But every once and a while, they push out updates to the gateways on their networks.  I know there was actualy one for the SMC not too long ago, late fall time period.

These firmware/software updates.. are SOMETIMES slight different than the stock manufacturers ones.  The SMC seems to be pretty much stock, but the CISCO and HITRON, have some things disabled in them, compared to the full stock firmware/software install.

All was trying to say was, that when they push out these updates.. your SMC, even though it was a different firmware/location to begin with, since its registered on the network, etc... MAY receive these updates in the future.. and overwrite what is currently on there. 

This should NOT effect its registration on the network, that will not change at all, you shouldnt have to go back and have them re-add it or anything.

Wasnt trying to stop you, or disuade you from doing it at all, sorry if it did come across that way.  Was just trying to inform you, that IF you did get the update, you were not blindsided by it and were informed ahead of time Smiley Happy

I am glad to hear that you could do this, with the modem from there.

I've Been Here Awhile

I agree.  I think it is good new for everyone looking to save the $8/month rental fee, especially considering that there seem to be a few SMCD3GN-RES modems available from former TekSavvy customers.

Thanks for all the input, always appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can save the rental fees, by buying this modem straight from rogers as well. (not sure the price difference)

Or as well, buying used ones from previous rogers customers.

But all and all, good news that you can register it.

I'm Here A Lot

Does anyone know how to find the "customer serial number" on these modems?  Apparently it's differen than the serial number of the hardware tha appears on the sticker on the bottom of it.  I got my hands on an SMCD3GN-RES but neither Roger nor Teksavvy can put it on their network without it.  Smiley Sad

I'm Here A Lot

Three years later and here's my follow-up.  Rogers just wants to make sure they get our money and will lie to you to do so.  WHat i mean is that I bought this modem privately as it met all of the specs and matched the model number of modem sold by Rogers.  When i called to informt them that I had the modem ready to go they said that my serial number wasn't in the system and therefore could not be used. The fact that my serial number wasn;t in the system means that it wasn't a unit that they were selling and therefore my aquirung of said unit didn;t generate them any revenue.  The persons I spoke to told me all kinds of things about the fact that the modem wasn't up to spec etc., etc. and I wasn't buying any of it.  Ultimately this was then final straw for me and I cut the chord to Rogers.  I swithced to Tek Savvy cable internet and guess what...my modem worked flawlessly.  I even asked the person at Tek Savvy if the serial number had any connection to whether or not I could use it and they sais no, that Rogers was wrong. 

My advice is to not use Rogers for your internet as there are much better options for price and customer service out there.  Don't let these heartless clowns part you with your hard earned $$$'s.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is not 100% correct.

MOST of the people on the phone, dont have the tech expertiese or knoledge unfortunately for their position..

(at least in my experience)

Does the serial number make a difference or not?
Partially.  THey can not add it to your account if its not in the system.  If its not a rogers one, its not defaultly already PRE entered into the system.
Can the S/N be added then?  Yes, there are MANY people who have done so..
BUT getting the right person on the phone to be able to do so.. that is where the problem lies.
(TSI for example, as would have just had a much simpler process to ADD that S/N in.  Their modems have to register on the rogers network still (as they piggyback on the rogers lines, etc), but the TSI entry for their modems allow them to add Ad hoc.. vs with the rogers system).

Most of your issue and others with this.. chocks up to the tech support inexperience/inability.

In 3 years though, lots of stuff with rogers has changed though.
All modems yes are still technicaly 'rentals' now.. but they are included in the base price.  When they switched to over to fully including them.. it was at pretty much the base plan price.. there was a small savings vs the older plans + modem rental.  (check out the pricing threads stickeyed at the top of the forums).

There is good reasoning behind this too now.. with tech changing so often.. you can get stuck with your own hardware being a limiting factor in the ability to get better speed and even service.   Older even D3 modems, can even start to suffer congestion.. why rogers is now pushing 20+channel ones.  Very soon they will be starting with D3.1 modems.   With the newer plans with the modem built in.. tech changes? so do you.

Just compaing speeds on a 1:1 bassis.. some of the other guys are a little bit cheaper... POSSIBLY.. depending on your speed you want & your usage needs.

Comparing the mid tier 100mbps plan with TSI, its $8 cheaper a month.. BUT its still a capped connection, vs unlimited at that speed with Rogers.  (TSIs unlimited is actually MORE than rogers, at that speed)

Their slower ones have the same $8-10 savings.. but much more usage.

Really comes down to WHAT each persons individual needs are.. wiether A or B servs them better.

My mother and inlaws, i happily set them up on TSI, for their usage needs, it was much better option.
For myself.. at the higher usage, speed, etc.. it was becoming more of a wash.
And with other serviced needed at my house, the bundle discounts, brought it down even cheaper than TSI.

Every user needs to do a comparision of ALL aspects.
Price while obviously is VERY important.. its not the be all end all.  
(Heck, i can get unlimited internet at my house for $30 a month!... a whole woping 5mbps DSL Smiley Tongue)
Compare around to ALL companies and all options... and choose the one which is right for you.