Uses for old wifi modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Uses for old wifi modem

I recently upgraded my internet plan. Now that Rogers no longer separates the modem rental fee, I figured it's time rent one again. I still have my old one (CGN3), because it was purchased.

Instead of throwing it out, I was wondering if I can use is for anything else.

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Uses for old wifi modem

Good evening @cilias1,

Thank you for your post & Welcome to the Forums!

If you do not need the CNG3 modem anymore, you can always try to sell it on a small ads website like Kijiji or Craigslist. 

I am aware that stores like Best Buy and Staples also offer an electronics recycling program if you prefer dropping them off. That is definitely more eco-friendly than throwing them away. Smiley Wink

Anybody in the Community has other suggestions?

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't get rid of it, unless I could sell it, and I do have a CGN3 sitting in a box at the present time.  I'm keeping it in case Rogers ever changes its mind and reinstates the price deduction when you own the modem, who knows, maybe someday.  And then there is the spare issue.  If your modem ever fails at the most inopportune time, like late at night or on a holiday weekend when the Rogers store is closed, all you have to do is call tech support or customer service and reinstate the CGN3 on the account, and, you're up and running once again.   You're not gaining a huge difference in terms of wifi performance except for 802.11ac capability which can help with wifi performance to a small degree with these modems, but, I suspect that you will find that running your own router once again will end up as the preferred solution.

I'm an Advisor

I have one of those too! Big mistake - I don't even think I got to use it for the year or so I had expected it would take me to break even... then I moved and ended up with the ignite 250 and a shiny new rented CGN3ACSMR. 

Do you have any friends/family who are still on the older plans and have no reason to change who could use a modem? Some of the HF plans with the bundle bonus are still very competitive for a lot of people... and they'd get to save $12/month.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought my old modem in February 2014 for $160 from Future Shop, so I think I made up the cost and ended up saving money. 

I think holding onto it just in case Rogers reverses their decision to make the modem rental fee mandatory is wishful thinking. That would require third party influence, like what the iPhone did for our ability to buy phones separate from the carrier.

I do like the idea of having a backup. I don't use my modem as a router anyway. I was having problems reconnecting to my NAS after waking up my laptop, and problems setting up port-forwarding, so I disabled residential gateway, and bought an Airport Extreme.
The only reason I upgraded my plan was because I had been constantly going over my 120GB limit enough that the overages cost more than the unlimited plan including the modem rental fee.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is always the option of using it as a doorstop 🙂

I'm an Advisor

@cilias1 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought my old modem in February 2014 for $160 from Future Shop, so I think I made up the cost and ended up saving money. 

I think holding onto it just in case Rogers reverses their decision to make the modem rental fee mandatory is wishful thinking. That would require third party influence, like what the iPhone did for our ability to buy phones separate from the carrier.

Honestly, even though I got burned in the transition, I like the new 'modem rental included' model. 

One of the big problems with purchased equipment (modems... or cable boxes for that matter) is that technology progresses, and that puts Rogers in a bad position. Either they have to continue supporting old technology forever (which is expensive and wasteful), or they eventually have to tell customers to buy/rent new equipment (and deal with angry people who don't realize that there are good technical reasons and not just greed why Rogers would want them to have a 24-channel D3 modem instead of a D2 from 2004).

Or they can pick a hybrid solution, i.e. offer better/faster plans for the same money to people with the newer equipment in hope the heavier users all spontaneously replace their older equipment... but when the remaining people with the older equipment eventually find out they've been paying the same or more for slower service and a lower cap, THEY get angry.

In this forum, we've certainly seen people being upset because they need to get a newer modem (that needs to be purchased or carries a higher rental fee) to upgrade to a new plan, and we've seen people being upset about Rogers happily continuing to sell them the outdated old plan with the old hardware.

If equipment is included in the price of the service, that whole situation goes away. If Rogers want to upgrade to newer technology equipment, then they just need to make arrangements to exchange the customer's equipment and the customer is not financially affected and shouldn't feel wronged in the same way. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do personally have to agree with VivienM

While I understand.. generally overall, in the long run, renting potentially does cost more money.
Cable boxes are a perfect example.  Depending on how long they last.. You might pay them 2x over that period vs buying.  

That is, assuming there are NO failures.  One failure out of waranty on a owned box.. your screwed.  (unless you feel technical enough to do some repairs like the HDD, etc).  Vs with a rental, you could exchange 1000 times if you so needed to.

But the advantage then comes as well, as VivienM mentioned.. the keeping up with technology.
A new fancy cable box comes out, faster, more features (A la NB3).  Other than recordings, very easy to go and swap the units and oh look you can take advantage of the latest features.
The same goes with the modems.   
The building the modem cost into the plan pricing.. allows the modem to be more easily swaped out as necessary.  New tech comes out.. for the faster speeds, etc, a newer tech is needed to support it properly? No issue just go swap.

Back when they started the modem rental included (on the hybrid plans), I did the comparisons (stickied at the top of the forum here). 
Most plans, comparing the old plan + modem rental vs the new plans w/ modem included, were actually slightly cheaper for most.

Also as mentioned.. is its COSTLY to keep up supporting everyone wanting to keep older owned stuff sometimes.
Probably not so much on the tv box side (only thing we have really seen is the cut of the old original PACE boxes, etc)...  but tv as a whole.  People upset, etc on the cut of analog.  Was not that big of a deal when the signal was analog to start.. very easy to re broadcast out.  But since the broadcaster switch to all digital.. Rogers (and others) now have to take the extra  time, expense, equpment, etc..to down convert everything to analog and then broadcast.  

Same then goes for cable modems.  The more/older stuff they support.. the more equipment, etc that is needed to keep up with it.  I am no expert on the back end (the CMTS and all other equpment at that end), but likely there is different stuff needed to talk with the D2 vs the D3 and even the newer D3.1.

Really, I am waiting.. and my guess it will be in the year or so.. the big cut of the D2 modems.
The force change, etc... All in all MODEM wise, it will give people a MUCH better experience congestion, etc wise... BUT.. would then likely also force a PLAN change?  Which may not be so good for some 😞

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Really, I am waiting.. and my guess it will be in the year or so.. the big cut of the D2 modems.
The force change, etc... All in all MODEM wise, it will give people a MUCH better experience congestion, etc wise... BUT.. would then likely also force a PLAN change?  Which may not be so good for some 😞

I'm not sure why they'd stop supporting DOCSIS 2 soon. Assuming usage is fairly low, they just need one channel per node. The equipment is already long paid for. Why rock the boat with customers who are likely going to be very non-technical?

The other thing they could consider is what U.S. MSOs do - running the home phone service and the DOCSIS 2 Internet on the same channel. Rogers has always to my knowledge had a separate channel for home phone, but if DOCSIS 2 Internet is very low usage, maybe combining with home phone would make sense... 

I Plan to Stick Around

@cilias1,

How about passing it to your friends and relatives? I know the targeted candidates are limited... have to be on Rogers, with the older internet subscription tiers that would still allow BYO Rogers modems. I have thought about selling my CGN3 I probably have it already paid off with the many months of savings. So even if I could only get a cent, I have little to lose. However, I rather find someone in my circle to utilize it.

In my case, I have found the good use of my CGN3 (though I still want to save more money in long-haul if I don't need to change my tier to the newer ones with unlimited usage cap). My folks can really take the advantage of that with their situation as they have been on an older tier. Not only upgrading it from the DOCSIS2.0 modem but also make the separate router unnecessary for them too.

Then I passed that (still good and relevant) Netgear router to my friend's daughter who has been connection it in her university dorm room 😉

So I hope you can find good use of yours... be it as a backup or pass it on to someone.