Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Usage

How can I possibly have used almost 20 gbs this month and haven't even downloaded anything bigger than app updates for my phone?  We don't have netflix and don't download much of anything.  Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Usage

@24hill:

more information is required if you want us to speculate on what could be causing the 20 Gbyte usage on your account:

1. what kind of home network do you have, and what do you have connected to it;

2. do you have WiFi enabled;

3. how many people in your household have access to your network and networked equipement;

4. etc.

That being said, there is precious little you can do to challenge Rogers usage assessment.  Rogers does not, to the best of my knowledge, publish anywhere how they arrive at "usage"!

Usage is technically a complicated matter with financial consequences for you and me.  And for Rogers.  When we get our utility bills for gas and electricity, we know what it is for which we are paying.  And we know that the usage meters in each case are tested and certified.  When we purchase gasoline, we know that government has inspected the pump for correct and accurate measurement.  What is done to certify an ISP's usage measurement?

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Skinorth is correct, that there is no way of certifying the usage correct currently unless you are metering it yourself as well.
There is stuff trying to be passed now which will help with the validation/certification that these are done correct.

That being said, working in IT myself there are many ways that can happen to use usage without you knowing / thinking about it.

As skinorth touched on, wireless security is important as you need to make sure there is no one else using your Internet.

Beyond that, locally there can be a number of things which can increase usage.
- Virus/malware, from self propagating itself to being used as a spam bot, etc, can all increase usage.
- things that update automatically like windows updates, MAC updates, etc can all do it in the background without you knowing, unless settings are changed. I have seen them also get stuck, and continually try to download repeatedly.
- cloud storage is becoming VERRY popular. But this as well can often use usage unknown as it try's to sync stuff.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Currently have 100GB, express 25/2 pack via a retention deal with other rogers services (cable, homefone). Noticed since having this internet pack the usage per day has been rising more than normal. Did nothing out of ordinary in regards to new or open apps, streaming services, or anything... internet usage behavior is the same. I'm wondering if rogers is increasing the usage per day on purpose to make peeps go over 100GB. Prior express pack 80, 25/2 I rarely ever gone over 60GB a month... My most recent usage details on the 100GB, 25/2 express pack is like over 80GB for the month. What the heck is going on?? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be surprised how stuff on the sites you visits end can make too.
Your habits might not have changed... But if say YouTube for example the videos you watch are in HD rather than sd, even though you are watching the same size on the screen, with it in HD it can take up to two times as much data to view it.
Images can be the same.. You would be surprised how many sites don't optimize the images and just resize them in the HTML, etc. so you are still downloading the larger file.

I try to monitor the mb/gb of stuff I download a day, check the # of Netflix hours watched (and take the everage that it should use) and general usage amounts for browsing/online play... And find it pretty accurate, usually within 50-100mb, of what I estimated.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

^^^

Like I said, I've done nothing different so your post is irrelevant. All my apps, task mgr, et al is all the same.

Try again... *side eye*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Um.. My post was just saying.. That your end could be exactly the same, and the usage change.

EG today you go to site for companyXYZ. You use one browser, and and nothing else on the pc. Page say takes 5mb loading all the images, etc.
Overnight they update their page, and change their images around, and do not optimize them just resize. To view the page, you are downloading the full size of those images even though they are smaller on the screen.
Now visiting that site could take up 10+ mb. Did anything change on your pc's end? Nope, but the usage changed.

The difference of watching 10 sd YouTube videos and 10 HD YouTube videos could be double the amount of usage used. Your watched the same #, but used more unknowingly.

I've Been Around

I'm getting crazy bandwidth usage numbers for the last 2 weeks - according to Roges I used over 70 gigs yesterday!  I'd believe 7 gigs....  Switching to unlimited, I don't have the time or energy to fight them

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even though i have ever only gone over my 80g twice.. i added the unlimted on mine anyways..

Just good knowing the piece of mind one way or the other that i never have to worry.
(not noticed any usage differences before/after it)

I've Been Around

My internet usage has been spiking lately and I am over my 100gb allowance as a result.  Jan 5 or 6, I never even had the tv on and only checked email on one day.  I have changed the password jan 5 but its still spiking jan 6.

Any suggestions?  Meanwhile Im getting billed for all this usage.  In dec I only used 62gb in the whole month which is more normal.  Any suggestions as to what can cause this?

Downloads

Jan 6 40,254 MB

jan 5    48,779

jan 4     74,571

Jan 3     9876 MB  Normal

Jan 2    6900 MB  normal)