Upload not working - help. Locked at around 1-2% total speed. What's the problem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Upload not working - help. Locked at around 1-2% total speed. What's the problem?

Problem: 

My download is fine, but upload speed is locked at super low barely-working speeds. Speed tests on websites won't even start, no activities required for my business for uploading data works.

Download is fine, but upload is very slow. Have done the normal array of fixes, am looking for a solution. I've been close to cancelling my rogers account due to horrible service, so I'm hoping this can be resolved.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Upload not working - help. Locked at around 1-2% total speed. What's the problem?

Can we start with some of the usual questions:

1.  What modem do you have, as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?

2.  What internet plan are you on?

3.  Is this a wired or wifi problem or both?

4.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.   Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might explain some or all of the problems that you are having.

5.  Are you in a house, apartment, condo, highrise, etc, etc?  Where you live will make a difference in what type of equipment the modem is connected to.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Upload not working - help. Locked at around 1-2% total speed. What's the problem?

1.  What modem do you have, as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?

Model NameCGN2-ROG
SW version3.1.6.11
HW version1A

2.  What internet plan are you on?

Extreme. Keep in mind upload worked fine until recently.

3.  Is this a wired or wifi problem or both?

Wired and wifi, but I'm using ethernet to do my testing and to try and fix the problem (manual reboots, software reboots, etc).

4.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.   Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might explain some or all of the problems that you are having.

Downstream

Port12345678
Frequency (MHz)597.000591.000603.000609.000615.000621.000633.000639.000
Modulation256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM
Signal power (dBmV)7.1446.8697.3617.2837.2357.1126.7606.943
Signal noise ratio (dB)37.35537.35537.93537.93538.25738.25737.93537.935
Channel ID5049515253545556

Upstream

Port1234
Frequency (Hz)385960003059600023700000 
Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)320000064000006400000 
ModulationTypeATDMAATDMAATDMA 
Signal power (dBmV)42.000042.000042.0000 
Channel ID123 

5.  Are you in a house, apartment, condo, highrise, etc, etc?  Where you live will make a difference in what type of equipment the modem is connected to.

Where I live has worked fine for the past 2 years, which is how long I've had this connection. It's an apartment with up-to-date hardware and a lot of infrastructure in the downtown core.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your downstream levels are high, still within spec, but high nonetheless.  Typically the downstream are at or near 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio of 36 to 40 dBmV.  Your signal to noise ratios are good.  The upstream is elevated slightly, above their usual 36 to 40 dBmV range. 

The downstream range is +15 dBmV down to -15dBmV, but typically we see posts where the +/- 7 or 8 dBmV level is the point where people start to have problems with their internet, so, I'm not surprised.  As you're in an apartment I would guess that the modem is connected to an MDU which is a Multiple Dwelling Unit that provides data distribution to large buildings such as yours.  Its possible that someone has come in to make a change for another apartment and inadvertently done something to your cabling. 

Have you call tech support yet?  If not, that would be the next logical step.  Call them and ask the CSR to run a signal check on your modem and advise him or her of the problems you are having.  If nothing has changed in your apartment, in terms of the equipment and how it is connected, my guess is with the MDU, or the neighborhood node, depending on how large your building is.  Ask the CSR to check the MDU or node, whichever one is applicable in your case. 

The other thing to consider is the modem itself.  There is always the chance that there is something wrong with the modem.  A modem swap would prove or disprove that theory pretty quickly.  The majority of problems that we see however are usually cabling, configuration of the modem and follow on router if one is used, or neighborhood issues which are above the normal tech call-outs.

I Plan to Stick Around

Consistent half-hour+ wait times for tech support. I haven't had a long enough chunk of free time to get on the phone with them. I've been waiting for the 4th time, already 23 minutes in and on hold. You can tell why I feel almost forced to leave Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

After half an hour on hold they hung up on me. Can a Rogers rep justify this? What am I supposed to do?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have any other services such as TV or Home Phone and you are having issues with those as well, advise the CSR when you chat with him or her. 

Hmm, okay, give me a few minutes here to message one of the mods.  You could call back again to get back into the que.  Is there a call back option?

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't believe so, I'm writing a report for the past few days and will present it to Rogers when I call them again. I don't have time for another pointless half-hour on the line to be hung up on. I seriously need to solve this issue and Rogers is making it absolutely impossible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, pm sent to @RogersMoin.  Keep an eye on the thread for a response, as well as the envelope icon at the top right for a private message.  REs are only volunteers, so, can't do much more beyond seeing customers contact tech or customer support or one of the mods.

Considering that your internet service was fine until recently, my bet is on someone doing something inadvertent at the building MDU or node. 

Hello, @carlo210

Thank you, @Datalink

I’d like to help. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from CommunityHelps. Please check our message via the envelope icon that appears on the top right-hand side of your screen when you are logged in to the forums.

Thank you for understanding.

RogersMoin

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation