cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Ignite Internet 150u - Speed still reflecting the previous package

Webster01
I plan to stick around

Today marked the start of a new package from Rogers.  A few channel changes on the TV side but moving up from 60Mbps to 150Mbps on the internet side.  I always managed far better speeds than 60Mbps on the old plan and speed tests results are very similar today much below the 150u speed...supposedly after the upgrade.  I have the changes on the TV side but how does one know if the upgrade has been carried out on the internet side?   Contacting Rogers the only way!

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgraded to Ignite Internet 150u - Speed still reflecting the previous package

Webster01
I plan to stick around

@Datalink  Did a reboot of the modem and we are smoking now.  Thanks very much for your help.

Web

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Upgraded to Ignite Internet 150u - Speed still reflecting the previous package

RogersMoin

Hello, @Webster01.

Congratulations on your Cable and Internet package upgrade! 🙂

It's good to know you were getting better speeds than your 60 Mbps package; I believe the 150u package should follow the suite.  When the new package has applied to your account, the modem should reboot to implement the new package. Did you notice your modem rebooting shortly after the upgrade? 

Were you told you need to upgrade the modem by visiting a Rogers store? If yes, then the package will not change until the modem has swapped. However, if you are already on the Hitron series modem like CGN3, CGN3ACSMR etc. you don't need to change the modem. 

We can certainly look into this matter for you; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Webster01
I plan to stick around

I probably was rather vague in my post.  Under the old 60u I saw d/l speeds mid 70's to mid 80's consistently now under the 150u setup I am seeing mid 80's to mid 90's.  So I guess my original question is the increase has gone into effect but he speeds increase is not there.  I will private message you shortly. 

@Webster01 there's a couple of things you can do:

1.  Call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep if the modem has been provisioned for the 150 Mb/s download rate.

2.  If you're connecting via ethernet, have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LED.  It should be flashing amber, indicating a 1 Gb/s connection rate with the connected device port.  Flashing green would indicate a 10/100 Mb/s connection rate, which would coincide with the rates that you're seeing.  In order to support data rates above 100 Mb/s, the actual connection rate, port to port should be 1 Gb/s (flashing amber).

In either case, connecting via ethernet or wifi, you have to be sure that the ethernet or wifi adapter is capable of supporting data rates above 100 Mb/s.  In the case of the ethernet adapter, drill down into the adapter settings to see if the adapter rate is set for 100 Mb/s or Auto.  Auto would suggest that the highest attainable rate is either 100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s.  

The other possibility for an ethernet connection to run slow is a connection issue at either port, or, the cable itself is damaged in some fashion that results in only two of the four wire pairs actually running, which caps the data rate at 100 Mb/s.  

Webster01
I plan to stick around

@Datalinkthanks...I have an amber light at the Ethernet port.  Will check the other.

Web

There is also the possibility that the ethernet adapter only supports 100 Mb/s.  We've run into that numerous times.  Customers only find out when they move to a higher data rate, determining that the ethernet or wifi adapters only support 100 Mb/s data rates. 

Webster01
I plan to stick around

My card is set to Auto negotiate which is showing speed to be 1 gb full duplex.  I haven't swapped Ethernet cables to check that but I am not reaching 100 Mbps you suggested for faulty cable so almost think that is not my problem.  I am getting between mid 80's and mid 90's consistently at various times of the day.  Perhaps its just not available.

Web

Webster01
I plan to stick around

Cut and pasted this from my network card info.  which seems to indicate it could handle 3gb.

Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

Thats a gigabit capable port and controller.  The fact that the port LED at the back of the modem is flashing amber indicates that the port to port connection rate is 1 Gb/s, which is what it needs to be in order to support data rates above 100 Mb/s.

Ok, so, given that, if you haven't done a modem restart/reboot already, please do that.  The modem will download the latest configuration file which should include the new data rates.  

If you've already done a modem restart/reboot, then call tech support and ask the CSR to check the provisioning and to run a signal check on the modem as well, just to see if there is anything amiss in the signal levels. 

Webster01
I plan to stick around

No I haven't done a reboot of the modem...will do it now.

Web

Webster01
I plan to stick around

@Datalink  Did a reboot of the modem and we are smoking now.  Thanks very much for your help.

Web

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation