Upgraded to Gigabit Internet - Not getting package speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Upgraded to Gigabit Internet - Not getting package speeds

I'm having the same problem after "upgrading" from 150 to 1GB Ignite service.  Performance is inconsistent to say the least and often slower when using wi-fi on my laptop.  I'm going to ask Rogers if I can revert back to my old service.

Highlighted

Hello, @burnsth.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for joining this conversation; inconsistent Internet performance can be disappointing.

We'd be happy to help troubleshoot the issue for you. Let's begin with analyzing the signal levels at the modem. Please log into your modem, navigate to Status/DOCSIS WAN and post the Downstream, Upstream and OFDM sections.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't think this issue is with the service coming into to the router.  When I use my laptop wirelessly near the router, the service is reasonable (see attached).   OOPS, it looks like I can't seem to be able to attach the screen shots to this message so here goes .. the download speed was 585 mbps and the upload was 32.4 mbps.  When I run the same test on the same laptop downstairs where my office is I just got 40.7 mbps upload and 31.3 mbps download.  The 1 GB service gives me inconsistent results (I've been as slow as 20 mbps download) and is also appears to drop the 5G band on occasions (and reverts to 2.4).  I know that you will have a long list of reasons for slow wi-fi performance but here's my reasoning about there being a problem.  When I had my 150 mbps service, performance was stable and I consistently averaged download speeds of 60-70 mbps on my office laptop.  Also, the 5G band never dropped.  All perfectly good. The only reason that I upgraded to the 1GB service was because of the hype/marketing of promised higher speeds and a marginal increase in the monthly cost.  Now I'm questioning if I did the right thing ....

Highlighted

Hello, @burnsth.

I appreciate your efforts of testing the speed close to the modem and away from the modem. It appears that you have narrowed down the issue to WiFi performance. 

I can assure you that the WiFi performance is not related to your Internet package/subscription. Since upgrading to Gigabit package, have you made any changes to modem's location or position? For optimal WiFi performance, the modem should in a standing/vertical position at least one meter above the floor with enough clearance around it.  

Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps  so we can look into the WiFi settings on the modem to see if we can optimize the WiF performance. You can check out this blog for more info on our private messaging process. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Not getting anywhere close to package speeds either - signed up for 1Gb, lucky to pull 200 on a wired device - Rogers has already sent 4 trucks out and they've only succeeded in blacking out the entire street on multiple occasions. Support only ever says looks fine here, we need to send a technician.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the exact same experience.  I've just given up.  They plan on laying new fibre in my neibourhood soon, so I may give that a go.

Highlighted

Hello, @VoodooSquirrel & @burnsth

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums to you both!

The world is super fast-paced now so I can totally understand how frustrating it is when your internet speeds are not where they should be.

It seems like in both of your situations, you've exhausted support on our usual troubleshooting channels. We'd like a chance to take a look at both of your situations to see what has been done thus far to determine the best next steps to try to find a resolution to this issue once and for all. We'd hate to lose either of you as a customer over an issue that could be resolved.

Please send a Private message to @CommunityHelps so we can take a deep dive into this issue and do our best to find a solution. Not familiar with our Private messaging system? No problem, Click Here.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Contacted support - I was asked to run multiple speed tests, and then speed tests on multiple devices concurrently, and since the speed on Device 1 + the speed on device 2 is greater than the speed  just on device 1, I was told its my problem and I need to fix it, so thanks to rogers for the amazing help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VoodooSquirrel did you call into tech support, or did you contact @CommunityHelps for further assistance?

1.  Are you running the white coloured CODA-4582 modem?

2.  Are you running speedtests via ethernet or wifi?

3.  Are you using a desktop, laptop or other device for speedtests?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We're in the same situation. We were paying the gigabit price for 150 so we decided to upgrade to the proper package for what we were paying and we are still only getting 150 in speed. Nothing has changed and remains slow. We don't want to pay this much for a speed we are not getting and might look into different options.