Unusual High Data Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Unusual High Data Usage

I have a problem with unusual high data usage for my internet. I went over once during the summer and upgraded (on Rogers advice) (even though I had not change my habit on the inetrnet) to internet extreme (I have supposedly 95gb). Since then I have been going over every month. I am monitering my usage on my Ipad. I cleaned up my computer, turned off the other one for the past 2 days since I am alone for a while and still my usage yesterday when up 3GiG! I only sent about 10 emails, no attachment and read the papers online. I don't play games, don't watch movies online don't use peer to peer sharing application and Rogers refuse to help only saying it comes from my modem therfore I am using it. I am sure Rogers pads my and other customers accounts since their is no way to prove or disprove it. I am extremely disapointed in Rogers. I have cable tv, home phone, wireless and internet with them and now I am looking to leave them because of that problem.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Unusual High Data Usage

Hi suzanneguindon,

Welcome to the forums.

Rogers usage tracking pulls the information directly from your modem, so any usage you have incurred is being reported directly from your connection. Since you are on the Extreme service and connect multiple devices (like your iPad), I'm assuming you are most likely using the SMC D3GN wireless gateway or a standard Rogers cable modem with your own wireless router connected.

If you have not been using your service that much but are still using data, it is a definite possibility that you are using an unsecured wireless network. This means that any wireless device that is within range of your router can connect and use your bandwidth. The best way to prevent this type of activity is to secure your wireless network so that only authorized users can connect to it. For information on how to do this, you can go to this website: http://www.rogershelp.com/yahoo/homenetworking/index.html or you can contact Rogers technical support at 1-888-764-3771 or via Live Chat at http://echat.rogers.com for a walk through. If you do not have one of the devices pictured on that site, you may have a 3rd party wireless router which needs to be secured. You would need to contact your router manufacturer for information on how to do that.

If you could provide more information about your current setup, we would be glad to look into that further for you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi suzanneguindon,

Welcome to the forums.

Rogers usage tracking pulls the information directly from your modem, so any usage you have incurred is being reported directly from your connection. Since you are on the Extreme service and connect multiple devices (like your iPad), I'm assuming you are most likely using the SMC D3GN wireless gateway or a standard Rogers cable modem with your own wireless router connected.

If you have not been using your service that much but are still using data, it is a definite possibility that you are using an unsecured wireless network. This means that any wireless device that is within range of your router can connect and use your bandwidth. The best way to prevent this type of activity is to secure your wireless network so that only authorized users can connect to it. For information on how to do this, you can go to this website: http://www.rogershelp.com/yahoo/homenetworking/index.html or you can contact Rogers technical support at 1-888-764-3771 or via Live Chat at http://echat.rogers.com for a walk through. If you do not have one of the devices pictured on that site, you may have a 3rd party wireless router which needs to be secured. You would need to contact your router manufacturer for information on how to do that.

If you could provide more information about your current setup, we would be glad to look into that further for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Suzanne,

RogersReggie is correct here,  and you should supply additional the information on your system he requested.   If you are using a laptop with a wireless connection,  that means you have a wireless router connected to your modem, and then your laptop connects to the wireless router.   

If you added that router recently, or even if you have had it for a while,  you need to adjust a few settings in the router to prevent other computers from gaining access to your wireless signal.   The wireless signal can reach several hundred feet beyond your house or apartment.   A new neighbour or a new computer within range my have just discovered your wireless signal and a free internet connection.

You can enable  WEP  or WP2  security to the router,  you can make the router SSID  invisible,  you can block other computer MAC addresses from access to your router,   These features will prevent anybody from using your bandwidth,  and even more important,  using you IP address.  

Some people cruise around and find unsecure WIFI networks and conduct illegal activities on the internet.   If these illegal activities are discovered by law enforcement,  they can trace them back to the IP address where they originated.   That would be YOUR IP address,  even though you had no idea somebody had connected to your WIFI network through your unsecured router.   You could be held criminally responsible unless you were able to prove that you were not involved.  Even then,  you would have to explain why you did not take steps to secure your connection.

All wireless routers come with at least some of the above mentioned security features.   You need to sit down with your manual,  find out which ones you have,  and turn them on ASAP.   3 GB is a fair chunk of date and Rogers would not be trying to cheat you on this issue.   There are software utilities that you can install to keep track of all the data in and out of your computer,  so you could easily dispute any claims that Rogers would make.   As long as you have an insecure wireless network, however,  use the Rogers figures,  believe them,  and secure your wireless router against freeloaders

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the tips skutflut!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

After inquiring about a similar problem I managed to identify the two causes: (1) the SamKnows white box (I volunteered to participate in that CRTC study under the assumption that data usage would be minimal.  However, I found out that this was adding 3.8 GB per day to my data usage...and all that without being told about this.  Nedeless to say the white box has been disconnected.) and (2) Windows 10 updates sharing on the WEB (I disconnected my hard wired link and configured my PC to "Metered" connection for Wi-Fi to prevent this from happening.).  By doing this, my data usage went down from about 7 GB per day to about 0.6 GB per day.  By the way, when I query the Rogers representative about the possible causes of my very high data usage neither of these two possibilities came up.  If they were aware of this they could inform their custommers when they call about this issue.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Samknows uploads are well known and are the reason that you are given an unlimited cap when you join the Samknows survey.   Search for Samknows on this forum and you'll find several posts on the topic.

Also, whenever someone has a lot of uploads or downloads that cannot be accounted for, there is usually some activity between the computer and the cloud (updates, saved data, etc).  Also documented many times on this and other forums and easily tracked by software that measures your activity.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Good to know that the SamKnows data usage problem is well known and fully documented on this Rogers forum but then how come this info is not communicated to the Rogers client interface people so that they be in a position to answer question knowledgeably.  Aside from this, reading the many posts, one can only wonder why neither Rogers or SamKnows took proactive action already "formally" advising participants in the study about high data usage and what the rules are with respect to this.  All comments seems to indicate that you have to ask a lot of question to get vague answers at best.  I do agree with the comments about wanting to know "my" data usage as this is very important to know should you be in a situation where you are considering moving to an other internet provider and need to choose your package.  Besides, given that the SamKnows white box has its own MAC address it should be very easy for Rogers to seperate my data usage from theirs.  I guess it is a typical situation where the easiest route is picked regardless of any negative effects it may have on participants.  Very poorly managed as far as I am concerned.   In my situation, let me assure you that I would not be writing this post should I had been able to see on the Rogers web site while checking up on my data usage something like this:  total usage 200 GB; 170 GB (SamKnows) + 30 GB (personnal).