Unstable 500u internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Unstable 500u internet

@Datalink

It would kind of defeat the purpose if I was doing performance testing over wifi! This is most definitely over a wired connection. That's just how bad it's been for me. testwifi.here is just Google Wifi's name.

I've just run this for a couple minutes on IPv6 address 2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5204, which I believe is their primary DNS, and I'm seeing the same pattern of spikes on the CMTS, but otherwise pretty good pings and no packet loss down the line. https://imgur.com/shMz4Hk

I Plan to Stick Around

I just had my Ignite 500 Mbps installed. This is a replacement for my Bell Fibe (25 Mbps) which was starting to get slow by today’s standards. The tech tested everything as good before he left, but there MUST be something wrong because websites like google take up to 10 seconds to load. Sometimes I get an error on my device saying I’m not connected to the internet. I do the Roger Speed Test and get 50 down and 20 up (slow but I could live with it). Whatever the problem may be, it has nothing to do with my end devices because they all have the same symptoms and they all worked fine on the old Bell Fibe system. I call to complain but all they do is “refresh my modem’s settings” and then ask me to cycle the power. If I escalate this, I’m sure I can get the tech back to change the modem, but I’ve been down this road when Rogers before. They come by, change the equipment, it works fine while the tech is there and then the problem resurfaces shortly after he leaves. I believe it to most likely be a configuration issue - or an intermittent coax signal problem.
Anyone have any ideas before I cancel and go back to Bell?

I Plan to Stick Around

My post was pigeonholed into this thread but I don’t see any relevant solutions here. There is a LOT of technical jargon here. It’s not lost on me but I’m not willing to waste a single second of my time to diagnose this problem as it is not my job. I’m paying top dollar for a service that does not work. Why am I not having this problem fixed for me?
If I’m left to diagnose the problem myself, I would say it lies in Roger’s system or my physical connection to it (buried coax). I’m not willing to waste my time doing modem swaps. As I’ve said, I’ve been down this toad before s few years ago and Rogers ultimately lost my business.
Basically, if I don’t get a quick resolution now, it’ll be cancelled. Bell Fibe was slow but it never ever failed to provide service.
I'm Here A Lot

My post was pigeonholed into this thread, too, so I feel your pain. Seems they like to hide issues under other issues. Smiley Sad

Hello, Meppo.

Thank you for joining Rogers Community Forums, a peer-to-peer Community and for sharing your Internet service experience. Getting only 50 Mbps download speed on a 500 Mbps can be disappointing. There are many variables here as to why getting such low speeds; you certainly don't have to diagnose the issue yourself. Please continue to reach out to your Concierge support agent until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction. 

Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

RogersMoin,

Thank you for your response. My issue is not the slow speeds, I could live with that. My issue is that simple, basic functions like browsing internet websites are not adequate. As I mentioned, and I’ll use google as a benchmark, it takes 5+ seconds to load google.ca, if it doesn’t timeout while trying.
Any Roger’s support agent I’ve spoken with either finds no problem, or opts for the easy answer to make me go away for a little while - which is: swap my brand new modem at a Rogers store for a refurbished one. I’ve done this before, years ago, when I was a Rogers customer. They had me swap it out 4 times before I got fed up and canceled.
I would like to see the coax that runs from my home out to the street box replaced. It has been there for at least 20 years, it’s pretty dinged up. I know because my landscaper hit it a few times while working on my property. I believe this cable is causing intermittent signal loss.

Hello, @Meppo.

Thank you for your continued patience while we work to find a solution for you. It should not take more than five seconds to load google.ca. Can you confirm if you have the Ignite TV service? Your modem should be Arris XB6. Since it's a new installation, the Concierge team should be able to find a satisfactory resolution for you. The visiting techs can determine the root cause of the issue and take necessary decisions to either replace the cable or any other components. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

I do have the Rogers Ignite TV as well. It too has its moments of freezing, audio that cuts out, or just flat out signal loss - caused by the poor quality internet I’m sure.
I’m out of the country for a while. I will reach out to the concierge when I return. I only posted in here in the hopes that it was a common problem solved by something as simple as using a different DNS server.
I'm Here A Lot

Just checked again today, and I'm seeing 18-20% packet loss to the Rogers DNS and to the node before it., 64.71.255.204 and 10.202.47.161 respectively. That 10.x one is confusing, since 10.0.0.0/8 is a reserved internal block, so it's probably masquerading something. Here's another screenshot, for the heck of it. https://i.imgur.com/03nvQQk.png

Anyway, I'm not going to let this issue get buried, no matter how many other threads get mashed into this one.

Hey @Elestriel,

Definitely not going to get buried and seeing packet loss is no doubt incredibly concerning especially if it's within the Rogers network. I know first hand how difficult it can be to isolate the cause of what your experiencing and I've had a lot of success seeing network level issues to resolution. Given that it does seem to be appearing within the Rogers network, and if during testing it's visible, and it can be replicated, we can look into having this addressed for you. Reach out to us at your leisure and I'll be happy to go over this with you. To do so, send us a private message @CommunityHelps and we'll have the ability to determine next steps. For more information on our Private Messaging system, please click here.

RogersAndy