Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

i agree with swaping the modem, just to make sure its not a case of MAC CLONING.

Though, usually in most cases thats usually more DOWNLAOD than UPLOAD.

Other things to look at.. are anything which does any form of CLOUD backup.
network attached hard drives.
iphones, etc, which try to back up to icloud, etc.

There can be cases with these, where the device is trying to back itself up.. and say there is not enough storage on the cloud storage... so it FAILS.. then trys imediately again... rince and repeat.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I agree 10000000%.....They are messing around with everyone and anyone NOT currently setup on an Unlimited internet usage plan. This is a joke !!!......I guess the billions this company makes of hard working paying customers isn't enough.

I've had a 300G plan for the last 3 years and I would try to download / upload as much as I could off Torrent sites etc just to see what I could accumulate. I couldn't even come close to cracking 120G in a 30 days period. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end since then (other then my password which I've been changing on a weekly basis for the last 2 months for monitoring purposes) ALL OF A SUDDEN.....Im hitting 250-275G per month and I have been away from home for 1-2 weeks out of the month.

SMARTEN UP ROGERS...........THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you read through this thread..  bar eliminating anything else going on (virus, something else running rampent localy).

There are two other likely cases of over usage.

From the sounds of it, you have eliminated one of them (changing password to remove the chance of someone else hitch hiking on your service that way)

The other (and more likely) as mentioned earlier in the thread, is the MAC ADDRESS modem cloning.
No amount of password changes will make a difference.
The usage on Rogers recording end, is based on the throughput comming from the MAC address associated on your account.
The bad people, just need to connect to somewhere with an active rogers connection, with a hacked modem where the MAC has been changed on it.    Nothing is really monitored that the mac is at A or B.. just that there is througput from it.

Really the only option to help remedy this, is to go and swap the modem.  New modem, new MAC.

Personally, within a %5 varience, I have found the usage to be pretty accurate.
Only times with higher usage, is times where i have say left a torrent on, downloading a lot of games, etc.
And have been with rogers for 20 years, since the BETA program, so had a number of years for it to go wrong 😛

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I had the same problem - I have a limited internet package - in Feb my upload usage for almost the whole month was over 18000 mb per day whereas in the previous month it was under 200 mb per day - I had several discussions with the Rogers tech dept 

Finally I figured what was causing this - the Whatsup app- When I deleted it everything returned to normal

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have opposite issue - I'm uploading images (security camera) to Dropbox with CLI client (no synching), and Rogers counts 3-4GB download , although no download happens. Rogers rep said their tracker is correct and bytes flowing into my modem (means downloading). Gotta install DD-WRT router to track usage myself, and then switch to Techsavvy, if Rogers won't admit their malfunctioning tracker software.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned in post 24, the isssue with unexplained uploads or downloads is almost always some setting on the person's computer that allows for communication with the cloud.  Rarely it's due to someone else hacking into the router, etc.

The only time I've ever heard of an (incorrect) issue with Rogers' measurements is if the modem was provisioned to the incorrect account (another person). People come to these and other forums all the time complaining about Rogers upload/download measurements and it's almost always the reasons stated above after they've checked their computer thoroughly. There's lots of software that allows for tracking of uploads/downloads and I suggest getting it for anyone encountering these issues.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The issue of high unexplainable downloads has been too common in the past and we still see what is now a rare occurrence come up every now and then.  The problem should be reported to tech support  so it can be investigated and the download amount removed from your billing.  Do you have any pc's that might be eligible for update to windows 10 and that might have downloaded the update despite your wishes?  I think the update is about 3 gigs in size.  And, are you running wifi as well with the WPS disabled so that your modem / router wifi password cannot be hacked?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

First time I encountered this issue I've been advised by Rogers rep to change wifi passsword and did that.

Unrnown download still there.

I started to see enormous download usage since I set up Raspberries with cameras (security images, 320x240, 9K each picture). Initially I used Mega (Megaupload), and blamed Mega for pushing back some garbage data my Raspberries were not even able to store (have two Raspberries, 8G of memory(disk) each, and initially saw up to 40GB (!) a day download), Recently I switched to Dropbox, and use CLI client for it (Python scripts), and upload file by file without synching (I could blame synching so Dropbox would push all those pictures back). My daily upload about 100MB, and Rogers show download 3-4GB a day. No other computers are on during day. Windows wouldn't update itself every day pulling 3G. Gotta get router with DD-WRT firmware (gave it to my friend as didn't use it, now gotta get it back) and track usage on my own. My regular usage is downloading web pages, checking mail, reading FB , - should not exceed 10MB a day. I don't watch video or listen audio streams as of now trying to investigate issue on my own.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have the same issue.  The problem appeared in Jan and since then my usage is three times plus what it should be.  What is really strange is that my Windows 10 shows 23 GB of usage total for the last 30 days while Rogers tells me that my usage is in excess of 160 GB for the same period.  Torrent, iCloud, DropBox or anything else that could be downloading stuff would be recorded by Windows 10.  However, nothing is showing up.  The only possible explanations: (1) I have been hacked (I changed my modem password to solve this if that was the case); (2) there is an issue with the Rogers modem; or (3) there is a programme error in the Rogers data usage software.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you have other devices, say like a phone or tablet, try disconnecting your computer for a day or two and see if the issue continues - can't see that it would be occurring off multiple devices. Some times takes about a 24-48 hours before you will see your day to day usage on MYROGERS update.  At least you may be able to identify whether it is device driven.

Also take a look at the DHCP survey of connected devices and leases issued and see if there is anything you don't recognize.  don't know your gateway, but on most, it will be found under the basic DHCP setup.

You have covered all the bases I can think of - unfortunately the Rogers routers/modems are very basic in their reports - an independent middle quality router often can tell usage at the router level.  Don't know if Rogers has anyway to do that except by the tools we see - never have fully understood where the monitoring is occuring for Rogers, probably back to the node somewhere or further back.

Good luck and hope you find a solution.

Bruce