Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

Do you still have the wireless enabled on your gateway? Was your computer the only thing connected to the gateway? Do you have any iDevices as all will sync to the cloud...I believe icloud backup and icloud photo sync are to different settings. IF you take alot of photos or movies with your devices they will automatically sync to the cloud unless you turn it off. Android devices will also sync photos to the cloud.

Also login to the router and check to make sure all the clients connected to the wireless are expected to be there. There is a simple WPS hack in the wild that can expose the WPS key. If someone has hacked you in this manner you can change your password and they get retrieve it again. Disable WPS on the router/gateway as an extra precaution.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also wondering.. if whatever is/was happening with your UPSTREAM channel issues.. where its been bouncing back and forth, might possibly be effecting it?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No I have the DPC3825 in bridged mode. Yesterday when this 9GB of data was accrued the modem was directly connected to my computer. Also my router does not support WPS, security is setup manually in WPA2 mode.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So no router in between? Hope you had your windows firewall on.....

If you turn of the modem for a day does your usage still climb?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There was no router in between anything, like I said. I was directly hooked up. Windows firewall was on. As well as all my other security programs. Id have to try and leave my modem off for a whole day and see if there is any usage being added to the account.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have the same problem.  The upload numbers don't make any sense.  My take is that it is more likely Rogers mis-measuring than real uploads.   I've started to monitor uploads with a utility on my PC, but I shouldn't have to do that. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's a little unusual. Normally when we see high data reports, its reported as a download amount, not an upload amount.  Are you running wifi networks and are you sure that the passphrases are sufficiently long and random enough to protect your modem or router.  Hate to ask that question, but its one of the issues that comes up in cases such as this.  If there is any doubt, change the passphrases and lengthen them to keep your networks secure.  

If we're talking about 100s of megabits or gigabits, call tech support and report the issue and then chat with customer support, especially if this is going to put you near or over your monthly bandwidth limit.  I think the normal routine is to roll back the overage and investigate the issue, but don't quote me on that one.  Hopefully your discussion with tech support and customer support will lead to a satisfactory conclusion.  Also consider swapping your modem at the nearest Rogers store as well.  

Edit:  Do you use any type of cloud backup, which might account for large uploads?  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the text component of the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which might be of interest.  You can select or highlight both tables all at once and then copy the contents with the usual right click and then copy...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Especially now a days, Cloud storage is a BIG thing to look at.

Monitoring on a PC only only captures any data from IT.

Networkable hard drives, will often have options to auto try and backup to cloud services.

Phones especially do as well.  Cloud backup of images, videos.  Could be something as simple as say iCould backup on an iphone which tries to do phone backups... i have seen them CONTINUALLY try to back up.  Tries, fails, then tries again.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Beat this:  just over 39 gb of upload in a day and half.  10 gb since i got to work this mornoing, and no one is even home.  our normal upload is less than 2 gb a month. .... help desk not helpfull

will check for torrents that may inadvertently be running on our "box - e-box", even though tv is turned off....although we dont do anyhting other than netflix and TVstation websites. (+ emails) .

i had to update my data to be sure i didnt go over before i got hoem from work!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First thing I would do is call tech support to report the problem.  That discussion will hopefully lead to the overage being cancelled.  You might have to follow up on that call with a second call to billing or customer support, but first ensure that tech support records the problem on file.  Second, even though MAC cloning is not supposed to happen on the network, go to the nearest Rogers store and swap the modem.  Third, when you're home, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream levels and paste them into the thread.  I'd like to see them to determine if the upload numbers make any sense in relation to the signal levels.  

Typically, in the past, users have reported high download numbers like you are seeing.  Rogers has been working at reducing those instances and now those high download / upload numbers are relatively rare to see.  The other aspect to this, as you have indicated is the issue of torrents.  There is also the issue of cloud backups which are becoming commonplace and which could cause problems if there are repeated attempts at backing up a large group of files.  That might be worth checking as well.