Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

My billing period starts on the 19th and since then, I have used close to 90 gbs of data, 80 of which is through uploading.  As well, I changed the password on my wireless to make sure it wasn't an extenal user.  I only have the one laptop and my iphone4 using the wi fi, so I know it isn't me who is uploading massive amounts of data.  I even turned off icloud to be on the safe side.

I made at least 7 calls to Rogers to try and sort this out.  They upped my data this month and wil credit me for the cost of it.  But the uploading is still happening.  According to my usage, I have uploaded almost 80gbs and I can not figure out why.  But I know it isn't a problem with my hardware, so it must be a Rogers issue.  But I have over two weeks left in my billing cycle and I'm going to go way over my usage and get charged for something I'm not even doing.  I hae noticed other people on here having a similar issue this month, so is this a Rogers issue?  A modem issue?  Can anybody help me out with this one?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator

Re: Unbelievably High Data Uploading Usage

Hi batgirl,

Do you have any torrents running?
Depending on the program you may be using if you don't actively stop the torrent it will continue to upload for different users in the background.

Rogers_Kate

I've Been Here Awhile

Had the same problem. iCloud was the culprit. Are you sure it's disabled?

I'm Here A Lot

Yep!  Everything is off.  Both on my phone and my laptop.  Taking my laptop into the Apple store tomorrow to see if there is something I'm missing, just to be on the safe side. 

I've Been Around

Similar problem; I appear to be downloading 5GB a day. Tech rep suggested either virus/malware on my Mac or my iPhone. My computer is off, and I've turned off WiFi on my iPhone. I just checked MyRogers data usage and see another 5GB of download despite the fact that both devices are off and the wireless password has been changed by Rogers. 

Tech Rep said to contact Rogers around billing time and that I would be credited for the data usage since it is clear from my history that it is a sudden and unusual  (and reported) spike. But ... how can we resolve this?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

A lot of people won't admit it, but they use third party programs to download movies/music/pc applications.  Just like the Mod said, if you download "torrents" typically once the download is complete, it moves the torrent into another location to share back to the community from which you just downloaded.  If would be VERY EASY to over look, but if left unattended, you could be uploaded tons and tons of data.  I know Rogers Reps will usually ask if you use Peer-to-peer programs to download, and users either don't know what this means, or wants to hide what they're downloading, and will say no to the rep.. but those of the programs that will eat up your bandwidth on the upload side.

Start your computer in safe-mode with networking and use it for a day or so.. and then check back and see what your usage is.  Or go into MSCONFIG and shut down any programs that aren't necessary

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the wireless password was changed, that SHOULD have kicked anyone potentialy off if they were leaching it.

There is no other devices at all on the network other than the PC and iphone normal? (even network printer, etc?)

Best thing to illiminate that its an account issue or not, is to turn off  EVERYTHING including the gateway, for a day.
If you show usage for that day.. well.. you know its account end.

It still could be something flakey with that gateway.  Could take it in and swap it if its rented.

I am on a SMC, and its pretty accurate.  On sunday for example, i only had 300mb usage.. just general cell phones pulling/pushing data for emails, some basic phone games, etc.. no where near a 5g overage.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem every month, where my upload regularly exceeeds my download even though I'm not actively uploading anything. This is strange because I stream Netflix and video from CTV and CBC only, no torrent programs running or anything else that would upload. I don't back up my MAC to remote servers and don't send anything other than text emails.

When I was with Cogeco I never had this problem and my usage habits have not changed since swithing to Rogers.

Rogers was absolutely no help to me in finding a resolution. They put me on an unlimited package at a discounted price after I asked to cancel my service.

I'm still concerned why my upload is so high compared to my download. I've run multiple virus scans with no problems found.

I'm going to keep searching and see what I can find online about this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are not running torrents of any form, the usual thing that normally shows high upload is from some form of cloud service (iCloud, Dropbox, etc ). Many times can get stuck and keep trying to re-upload things.
I have seen email do it on occasion as well. If there say is something stuck in the outbox when you are using a 3rd party program on the pc for mail, and it continually try's to send out.

My usage is generally pretty accurate, within 30mb or so (comparing to when I had all my data go through a usage based monitoring router software)

I Plan to Stick Around

Is this a joke? Apparently I am using incredible amounts of data on an internet connection that is basically non-existent. My internet usage according to Rogers was at 21GB overage on the 250GB plan as of yesterday. Didn't make sense but I could see how that could happen. All throughout yesterday the cable modem was directly connected to my computer, I did a bit of intermittent youtubing, surfing, work, and light online gaming. Apparently all of that combined managed to add up to 9GB of total data. Hmm....sorry Rogers, but I have a bandwith calculator on my computer that monitors all of my upstream and downstream usage and I only managed to use 1.5GB of data yesterday, where in the heck did Rogers come up with 9GB? Are they trying to swing one past me and pray to god I dont notice? This is a complete joke.