cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos

digigreenrobot
I've been around

Since Rogers has been experiencing network issue the past couple days I have been unable to load Google.com or load videos on YouTube on any of my devices at home while connected to the Rogers network. 

When using mobile data (not with Rogers, with Telus) goolge's services are accessible but on wifi no dice. I've tried resetting network settings and resetting the router to no avail. Very strange issue really would like some help. 

***Edited Labels***

124 REPLIES 124

Re: Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos

@Jhobbs93 wrote:

Hi there,

I just had my internet transfered to my new condo. I'm only able to connect to Google websites like YouTube and Gmail on my wifi connected devices and my PC which is connected with an ethernet cable. All other websites don't work.

Help!!

Never seen anything like that before..

Obviously internet is working if you can get out to google..

My first thing would be to try and do a factory reset on the router.. let it refresh and re-pull everything.
(new firmware, etc possibly)

@SaugaOG wrote:

As far as Im aware its illegal for ISPs in Canada to block access to websites. So why is it that within 2 minutes of getting a copyright notice I can no longer access kickass. Please fix my access or I will have no choice but to switch providers. Thank you.

Still not able to access the site?

Appears that KAT is up at the moment.. i can access it from here at work at least on Bell.

I have never seen them block access before like that, even after a copyright notice.

I have had many times that KAT has been up/down.  Might have been one of those down times.  They have to bounce hosts around a lot as their old ones get shut down.
I know a few others have been attacked/taken down the last week.  Nyaa for example.

So after calling Rogers they assured me that they don't block any websites since it's illegal. The rep seemed very sincere so I'm inclined to believe her. Likewise since that time I got two other copyright notices but those links work. It's really weird that the first one doesn't.

Basically I downloaded seasons 1-3 of Sherlock, and the odd thing is that I got a notice for season 1 1080p webrip. I cant open that specific torrent (bad gateway) but I can open other season 1 links and can open the other 2 I downloaded. I am extremely baffled by this cause as far as I'm aware only 2 people can block access to a site, your ISP and the site. Since Rogers said they didn't and KAT would never, I don't know what's going on.

Either way I don't care as much after cooling down. Wrote the original in anger because I'm very strongly against censorship so when I thought I was being censored it sent me over the top. I also wanted to comment to warn others that they were monitoring IPs but can't comment on any of the three links 😕

The notices, are just passed on by rogers... so its really what the ones complaining, who would be setting the link, etc in it.

As for KAT.. i was reading today, that KAT just in the last little bit, did switch their hosting/URL as they had to move..

Are you trying to go to the old site?

I tried the link again and today it works. Yesterday was getting a bad gateway just for that one specific torrent. Today works fine again. No idea what could have happened but everything looks resolved now and I can comment to warn people. If anything I learned to take a day and not do anything rash anymore.

@Jhobbs93 Factory reset the modem as advised. Push and hold the reset pin at the back for 15 seconds then let go, the modem should reboot. 

After that check your computers and make sure the DHCP and DNS settings are set to auto and aren't using a custom DNS server.

google for instructions depending what Operating System you are running.

I am in Brampton, ON and still have the problem of being  Unable to load certain website(s) and or videos. It doesn't matter if it's my desktop or laptop. Using windows 10.1 or 8.1 doesn't matter. Tried modem reset and other suggested fixes but nothing works.

Good morning @gkbernard!

Welcome to our Community Forums!

I know this is a frustrating issue but we'll have to troubleshoot further to figure out what's going on here. Please PM us @CommunityHelps for further assistance!

If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey

You Tube

Hello:

Last time I was on here with a problem received solution really quickly...That was great. This one is about You Tube video viewing. During any You Tube video and at no specific time of viewing the picture freezes and/or breaks up but the sound continues. Eventually the picture catches up with the sound and all is good for a while and then it does it again. Bit annoying. Just wondering if it's the connection from internet or something else.  I have Rogers Ignite 60.

Thanks for any information.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dugger36: It would depend:  Sometimes certain websites can become congested and they cannot "feed" as many people as are attempting to watch a particular programme/item.

The best test is to try watching at "non-peak" hours like midnight to see if it happens then. If it still happens then, then it may be another issue. If it happens more during prime time, that is likely your issue.

Also, are you connected via Ethernet cable or WiFi. If WiFi, that could be your issue even though your Ignite 60 download speed should be more than adequate.  There are lots of threads on here on diagnosing WiFi issues in the home.  Use a direct cable connection as a test if it's happening with WiFi.

I assume you've done a Speedtest and it's meeting or exceeding the 60 mbps speed.  Everyone should be getting what they pay for, or a bit more,  at that speed package.

Doggyd
I've been here awhile
Pls resolve this issue. This is driving me crazy. I need reimbursement for data overages as well please and thanks

@Doggyd what modem do you have, one of the black CGN3xxx modems or the white CODA-4582?  

If you have the CODA-4582, try disabling IPV6 to see if that has any effect.  Log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and select IPV4 for the Router Mode.  Save the changes.  The modem will take about three to four minutes to change to IPV4 only.  Usually I reboot the modem and the connected device.  

Can you give that a go and see if it resolves any of the website issues? 

dugger36
I'm here a lot

Hi:

Thanks for the quick reply. I shall try what you suggest, watching videos off peak times. I tried the speed test and all seems ok there. If there is still a problem I'm thinking I should contact Rogers tech. support...Thanks again.

lshz
I've been around

We have upgraded to connection speed, that involved upgrading the modem as well.

With the new, improved model I started experiencing similar problems:

Google-related web sites were accessible, lots of others were not.

I searched for solution on the web, tried everything I found, like flushing DNS data, etc. it didn't work.

After a few days, the problem seem to have gone away.

Then, my wife's computer experienced the same problem. We have tried lots of things, eventually found out one remedy:

The modem is dual band. If you are connected to 2.4 GHz and have the problem you can switch to 5GHz and the problem goes away (or vice versa).

The next day, my PC started misbehaving the same way. Switching from 2.4 to 5 G did work.

Still, some PC didn't have 5G- capable modem and that method could not be used.

Eventually, I think I found what was wrong.

Checked ipconfig for the IP address. The modem address was 192.168.0.1. The computer that did connect had three of the numbers the same as that of the modem. The one that had problems had only the first two numbers the same.

Solution: change IP address from automatic to manual, assign the address that has the same three numbers as that of the modem (the last one has to be different for each device), e.g. 192.168.0.31

This resolved the connection problems on two out of two computers.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lshz, the IP Address issue is a headscratcher.  I can't think of a reason for the modem to refuse to hand out an IP address.  

As for the web site access, can you try the following when you have time, and that is to switch the modem from dual mode IPV4 and IPV6 operation to IPV4 mode only.  To do that, log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab, and change the Router mode from Dual to IPV4 only.  Save the setting.  It will take a couple of minutes for the modem to switch to IPV4 mode.  I usually reboot the modem after that.  To do that, navigate to ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET and run a reboot using the Reboot function.  That reboot should ensure that the connected devices all have a singular IPV4 address that they are using.   One thing to note, if you run an XBox, you might prefer to have IPV6 enabled, however, it would be worth testing the web site access with IPV4 set as the Router Operating Mode. 

For the wifi, please have a look at the following:

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n

Channel Bandwidth:  20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz.  In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It would most likely default down to 20 Mhz on its own anyway.

Wireless channel:  AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems

WPS Enabled:  OFF

Security Mode:  WPA-Personal

Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  TKIP is no longer secure and will cause the wifi data rates to cap at 54 Mb/s which is the 802.11g rate.

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed

Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz.  I would revert back to 80 Mhz after running a 40 Mhz test.

Wireless channel:  149 to 161

WPS Enabled:  OFF

Security Mode:  WPA-Personal

Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

Look at your wifi environment using one of the following applications:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Or,

For IOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

In the modem itself, if you have a white CODA-4582 modem, there is a wifi Site Survey under ADMIN .... DIAGNOSTICS.  Since it uses all three of the 2.4 Ghz antenna and all four of the 5 Ghz antenna, its fairly sensitive compared to a laptop or phone.  The user interface isn't great, but, you can copy all of the data in one go and dump it into something like MS Excel, where you can sort it any way you want.

My personal choice is InSSIDer.  Thats the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old.  Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.  It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should.  This has become a licenced application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac.  Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.  

What you want to do is determine what channels in the 2.4 Ghz band offer the least number of users, and in the 5 Ghz band, what channels in the 149 to 165 range are occupied and if so, which offers the least competition in terms of occupancy or signal level for any given channel.  If you can find a channel or channel range in that group that is not occupied, that will be the best choice.  

Ok, have a look at the wifi settings and at the number of users in the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands and see if you're able to find a better channel to use for your own wifi network.

Please let me know if the change to IPV4 Mode restores access to the web sites.

Raps_in_4
I plan to stick around

Websites loading slowly but speed tests fine 

For the past week or so, websites have been loading very slowly. Not every time I load a website, but every now and then (maybe every 2-3 pages). Speed tests have been fine though (800+ up/30+ down and <10 ping). Web pages can take up to 30 seconds to load, sometimes timing out. There is no pattern for what websites are affected, everything from Facebook, Reddit, MLB.com, Google search, this website, etc.. This has happened to me twice in the past year. Each time, the slow loading lasts for a week or two, then there is a major 24-48 hour cable outage in the neighbourhood (which leads me to believe it might be a Rogers issue again). After service is restored, the slow loading issues go away.

I have flushed DNS cache and switched to Google DNS, but that hasn't helped. I use the big white Rogers modem. Resetting it doesn't fix anything. No third party firewalls are enabled. I connect using ethernet directly to the modem (I don't use any routers or switches). I have tried multiple ports and different cables. No change. The issue occurs in all browsers I tested (Firefox, Chrome, and Edge). Computer is clean of any malware/viruses (ran tests with Avast, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner).

Alternatively, could the modem be dying?

I am in the York Mills/DVP area.

Raps_in_4
I plan to stick around
The problem seems to get a lot worse in the evenings. Simple Google searches are taking over a minute. Could it be congestion/throttling?

@Raps_in_4 wrote:
The problem seems to get a lot worse in the evenings. Simple Google searches are taking over a minute. Could it be congestion/throttling?

@Raps_in_4

it's weird that your speedest are fast, but loading a web site takes forever. Can you log into the modem and post the DOCSIS WAN Signal levels. The fast that it gets worse at night leads me to believe it's congestion, but the speedtest contradicts that. 

Also have you tried to disable ipv6 in the modem and trying to see if things load faster. You can do that when you log into the modem.

Raps_in_4
I plan to stick around

Turning off IPv6 didn't fix it. 😞

I ran around 20 speed tests to see if anything shows up there and I did notice instability. Download speeds fluctuated between 500-950 Mbps and upload speeds fluctuated between 15-40 Mbps. Ping was <10.

There was one outlier where download speed was 89 Mbps. And another where ping was 37 ms.

There were a lot of failed tests too though where I couldn't establish a connection to the test server.

Some more information I just noticed:

When I set video playback quality to "auto" on video players, they always default to the lowest resolution (like 360p or 480p). Before I started having these issues, default resolution would always be the highest available (usually 1080p). In video players where I can't manually set resolution (like TSN Go), I am stuck with 360p since the player picks the best resolution for my connection. Videos will also freeze frequently (especially if I manually set the resolution to 720p/1080p). I'm guessing this rules out DNS issues?

When I play video games, my ping is good, but I will lose connection to the server every now and then (which did not happen before these issues started).

Internet service also tends to die completely after around 2 am almost every night (for a few hours). Not sure if that is an indicator of any local issues too.

I'm really at a loss as to what the problem is. The internet is virtually unusable like this. As mentioned, I've had the exact same issue twice this year already, and both times it was resolved only after a total cable outage occurred in my area (the slow website loading seemed to be a precursor to the outage). The problem went away after crews addressed the outage (both outages lasted 1-2 days). I'm hoping that's not the issue again as I would like to be able to resolve this immediately. I'm a PhD student and trying to do research like this is a huge pain in the ***.

Update: 11:30 PM right now and no issues (was pretty much unusable for the past few hours). That lends some credence to the congestion theory again (but again, speed tests don't really indicate that). This is really perplexing.

Hello @Raps_in_4,

It definitely does sound frustrating trying to do research when your connection is unstable or slow.

We want to ensure that your service is working consistently and would like to investigate this matter further. From what you’ve described it does sounds like congestion at the Node but usually, speed test results would be affected so it is odd that your speeds are normal. We would like to run some diagnostic tests on the Node in your area to see if there is anything we can detect as well as some signal tests on the line going to your modem.

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

Raps_in_4
I plan to stick around

Hi Tony,

I spoke with support on the phone last week and they said they noticed some signal issues from their end and they would send a technician over. A technician arrived today and said everything looked fine except for an exceptionally strong signal, which he reduced (he said this might cause issues with the CODA modems). However, this did not solve my problem. The technician was here when I tested the internet, and websites were once again loading very slowly (despite the speed test showing 800 down/40 up with 4 ping). He said the issue is most likely on the backend as there were no other issues he could identify at my house.

This goes along with my previous experiences with this error where it was only resolved after a neighbourhood outage occured. After crews restored service, the problem went away.

Topic Stats