cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Receive Emails on Outlook

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Today I've been seeing occasional "Error 150" issues using Outlook for Mac 2011, but this time only for receiving e-mails, not for sending.  The issue affects individual e-mail addresses. After a few hours the issue goes away, so perhaps this is some sort of work in progress...

*** Edited Labels ***

65 REPLIES 65

Re: Unable to Receive Emails on Outlook

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

Yeah they issued a ticket for me after grumily saying there was nothing they could do and that it was my issue not theirs....
That was last wednesday....not heard anything since.

japples
I plan to stick around

Looks like they are not escalating a ticket for me after all.

Having this older and established email with Rogers was the only reason I resisted switching companies for years. Since it's no good to me anymore, I can shop around now and be open to other deals. Still frustrating that I had to go to these lengths and being told it's my computer (like so many on here), when the evidence doesn't support that.

If anyone has a more current email client, try PMing a mod here and ask for a ticket. That might at least get their attention, although above hasn't heard anything in almost a week.

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

This isn't conclusive evidence but it does seem plausible that yahoo is aware of the issue and it may have to do with older clients being blocked from the ports (995,465, 587)

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fix-pop-imap-client-sending-receiving-issues-sln3792.html

japples
I plan to stick around

It seems that Yahoo is saying that if our email client settings are correct, and that if we don't have any firewalls or antivirus software interfering, that it could be that Rogers is blocking the ports you mentioned above, or that Rogers has a problem with the APP they are giving us to run these email clients.

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

here's an ATT issue right about the same time we had issues with the SMTP server!!!!!!!
Again they are on Yahoo!!!!! Carbon copy
Coincidence? I think not!!!
https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-account/smtpmailyahoocom-stopped-allowing-mail-to-...

japples
I plan to stick around

Yeah then it looks like it is a problem on Yahoo's side. If we at Rogers were having the exact same issue as someone at AT&T, who had the send email problem using an older email client and went through all of the troubleshooting we did,  then the commonality is Yahoo.

How do we contact them? Can we, or do the ISPs have to (Rogers,AT&T) ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since we are Rogers customers, we should be contacting Rogers.  I suggest another PM to @CommunityHelps. If we don't get it resolved there, I suggest OOTP as a next step.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

You can either copy or point to my earlier summary post (14).

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-Receive-Emails-on-Outlook/m-p/461343#M60978

japples
I plan to stick around

Many of us have already tried PMing the mods here so not sure what that will accomplish to do so again.

I just shared a concern, so hope that will result in something.

japples
I plan to stick around

Shared a concern and pointed out this thread and the post by Re57 and the Yahoo link.

They asked me to create an app password. So, no help there. Anyone else get anywhere?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I always select the telephone callback option with share a concern. It may take as little as a few hours to a couple of days for them to get back to you, but I've usually found them quite helpful and you can cover a lot more ground talking to someone.

I've also found the mods here to be helpful too, though.  They asked me to try an app-PW too (last week), which I did.  Didn't help of course and they reissued the ticket.

If nothing happens by tomorrow, I'll try again with PM, then OOTP.

Gadlightly
I've been around
Looks like I have the same trouble. I'm running Entourage on an older Mac OS, but out of the blue, mid-April, I was unable to send; could receive, but not send. Spent almost 2 weeks trying to fix, using webmail (which I detest…on rural internet, minimal 3gb a month) in between, but even high tech brother who makes a living on computers & networks, couldn’t resolve. Out of the blue, started working again. All going along fine, then last week suddenly, the reverse: could send but not receive. Brother recommended setting up as IMAP, so I did. Don’t like that learning curve - don’t need mirror image, want POP, like messages in one place with me…. - but it was working, until yesterday when it stopped BOTH receiving & sending. Must be the same thing. Here we have Outlook people, Yahoo people, ATT people (on Yahoo), and Entourage people (me) with exactly the same problem (send/no receive, receive/no send, etc.) and starting around the same time…..all with no changes on our end. Has to be on their end. Why don’t they announce when they’re doing something different on that end? Do they ever put themselves in the users shoes? Think a change on their end is going to work for everyone? I put it down to changes in security protocols because of the COVID massive traffic. Whatever, it’s taken 2 weeks of my life, and is till taking it away because I’m trying fixes still. What do you mean by OOTP as a solution? I know the acronym but don’t see how it applies.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gadlightly wrote:
 What do you mean by OOTP as a solution? I know the acronym but don’t see how it applies.

It means using Share a Concern, link below.  It's the highest level you can go within Rogers to get something resolved.  It doesn't mean it'll be resolved, but it's where you go if all else fails.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

You can also try to PM the mods here, which some of us have done.  Mods are also limited in how much they can push/do...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

It's really up to "Rogers' backend/Yahoo" to resolve the issue.  I would have thought it'd be easy in light of the fact that they already solved the "send" issue a month ago, but if they've implemented higher security, which older clients don't have, we may be forced to upgrade our clients.

Rogers will then need to modify the following page which includes a lot of older clients:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup

KWBob
I'm here a lot

So it has now been two full weeks without being able to receive email with my Rogers account via Outlook. I had let Rogers know about the problem some time ago but escalated the issue via Share a Concern as you suggested on the weekend and today I received a call from Rogers 2nd tier support team. Nice fellow who asked what steps I had taken to try and fix it. I explained and finished by saying that once I found this discussion group I gave up and stopped wasting my time as it is clearly their issue. He indicated that he had no suggestions that I had not already tried. The "good news"? is that he said that he was aware of this discussion thread and that others were working on it. He then asked if he could call back as he wanted to followup on something. When he called back he indicated that he had spoken with those working on the problem and one last "question" he had was whether I had multiple App pwds for Outlook. When I indicated only one he apologized for not being able to help and said he would escalate my concern to the other group and tie my ticket to the existing master ticket for the issue. Bottom line - no positive news, but they do appear to be working on it and the more of us that submit via the Share a Concern link, the better.

japples
I plan to stick around

Well that's something at least. Let us know what he says.

They won't help me since my Outlook is old enough to be unsupported, but the guy on the phone (share-a-concern) was nice as well and said some of the same things.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I did some more research on this topic on the web and found the following link:

https://www.lifewire.com/access-free-yahoo-with-outlook-1173788

See item numbers 3, 4 regarding "Allow apps that use less secure sign in".  Unfortunately, Rogers/Yahoo doesn't appear to have the option to enable that option.  Perhaps someone can find it.  I did go into Settings/More Settings/Security and there was no such option there, much in the same way there is no two-step authentication option in Rogers/Yahoo. 

I suspect that Rogers/Yahoo has disallowed the "less secure" option and that's what they need to re-enable to all those with older clients to be able to retrieve their e-mails.  At least they should give us that option, which is not currently available.

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

That looks like something simlar to the device password protocol Rogers imposed on us a few years ago.
Still don't see why they can't resolve this...been weeks.
Also, I noticed, I don't get a Security Prompt saying, the Certificate for this XXX has expired do you want to continue ....a popup screen that came up as you launched Outlook after a new boot of your PC.

I dont think they're trying. They see it as a problem for a handful of users and screw us...why should they bother?

japples
I plan to stick around

If this doesn't work out (and it's looking more and more like it won't) is there a way to get all of our emails-in-waiting and future emails to the webmail account instead?

Another week has gone by and nothing from Rogers; I suspect they have no interest (or ability?) to address  this for everyone affected.

I consider myself lucky as I was able to upgrade my 2014 MacBook to Catalina, and then subscribed to MS-365 ... Outlook is working just fine for me now, both sending and receiving functions are ok (at least they're ok for now...). Hopefully Rogers leaves that version of their interface alone for awhile.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@japples wrote:

If this doesn't work out (and it's looking more and more like it won't) is there a way to get all of our emails-in-waiting and future emails to the webmail account instead?

Aren't your e-mails already going to webmail?  Don't you have access to them there? That's where I'm going daily to view my incoming mail and I'm leaving them there until this is fixed (or I upgrade Outlook if absolutely necessary)

japples
I plan to stick around

No I'm not getting anything over there. Last time something like this happened I received 150 emails once the problem was fixed. So my emails are stuck in transit until they fix this..

japples
I plan to stick around

I'm just now getting emails again. Outlook Express gave me that familiar pop-up asking about my security certificate all of a sudden and I am downloading 226 emails.

How's it for everyone else?

Topic Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 in conversation