UDP port open for VPN using Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

UDP port open for VPN using Hitron CGN3

I need to access a VPN through UDP port 49000.  The VPN support believe my issue in not being able to get through is that I need to open up access to UDP port 49000.  I can get through on another VPN group to the same firm, but it uses UDP 10001. I tried port forwarding on the CGN3, but it gives me a list of "Applications" to choose from  I have no idea where to start - VPN isn't listed.  Also, there are entries for public port range and private port range (that don't seem to allow overlapping - what do these mean?), and local IP address (which implies I need a static IP on my workstation?).  So, I'm lost.  Any ideas?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UDP port open for VPN using Hitron CGN3

Ok.  Lets start from the begining.

Get to your port forwarding page... and click on the ADD rule

Ignore the application part... thats just it will pre fill in some stuff if you are using a specific common application port, etc.

Fill in the name you want for the rule.

Protocol: UDP in your case.

Public Port Range:  This is the range that is accessed/needs to be open on the OUTSIDE, on your routers external connection.  Should be the value you listed.  Even though it says range.. just put the same value in both spots (so eg: 49000-49000)

Private port range:  Unless you are doing something different.. this is NORMALLY the same values as above.  This is only here.. as you can do some changes... EG:  Default web server port externally is port 80, you could for example send that to an INTERNAL webserver that is running 8080 instead of the normal default.

Local IP address.  This is the address of the machine inside your network, which will be connecting to the service.
This part is kind of important.. as it needs to know where to forward that information that comes to that specific port, to.

One thing you need to make sure of.. is that your computer is set to a STATIC address.  You do not want your computer chaging its address each time its turned on and the rule be pointing to the wrong place.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I think this is what I need, but I'm getting a lot of errors following your instructions.  The current one is "Port IP overlap" if I have the same ranges in the Public Port Range and the Private Port Range.  And when I put in the VPN destination IP into "Local IP address" I get the error "Local ip isn't in LAN IP address subnet"

I Plan to Stick Around

So I found a CGN3 manual via Google (https://www.midcocomm.com/contentassets/b443bbd36fcf458a883231f34d6f24aa/hitron-cgn3res-user-guide.p... neither Rogers nor Hitron themselves have this on line.  Here's what it says about ports and IP:

Public This field displays the incoming port range. These are
the ports on which the CGN3 received traffic from the
originating host on the WAN.

Private This field displays the port range to which the CGN3
forwards traffic to the device on the LAN

Local IP Address This displays the IP address of the computer on the LAN
to which traffic conforming to the rule’s conditions is
forwarded

It also mentions
Remote IP Address This displays the IP address range on the WAN from
which traffic is forwarded (if configured)

But the setup interface I'm seeing doesn't have "Remote IP Address" listed

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Port numbers in public and private should be fine being the same both, I have all mine set that way.

The IP address you are entering there, would be the IP address of your machine there at home.

The VPN server IP address you would only be entering in with whatever VPN connectivity software you are using.

(Generally, you don't have to add any port forwarding on your side with a VPN though in my experience. Only if yourself is being the one connected to by someone else. )

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I think I have it setup correctly, as per your instructions.  I'm getting past the authentication but the response "banner" isn't coming back, so I'm not fully "in".  I've sent this info to the VPN support folks to see if they might know what's going on.  The IP overlap error I was getting was due to another entry in the list that was already configured, probably for one of my kids' gaming services.