Turn off spam filtering

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

Turn off spam filtering

Is there any way to stop Rogers Yahoo email from marking messages as spam?  I use IMAP to download my main into an email app, where I do spam filtering.  However, the mail server also does that, moving messages into the bulk (spam) folder.  When that happens, I have to use a browser to open Yahoo mail and mark the message as not spam.  Trying to do that in the email app does not permanently mark it as not spam and Yahoo will shortly mark it as spam again.  There are instructions on the web for turning off spam filtering, but they don't match up with what I see in Rogers Yahoo.  Perhaps they apply to the basic Yahoo service.

***Edited Labels***

boomod
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Turn off spam filtering

Ever since the fiasco weeks ago with the invalid security certificate stuff, where some of us went through the process of deleting and rebuilding our account settings in our mail clients, I have no longer been getting any spam mail in my Thunderbird configuration.  I don't know if its related to changes that took place at that time with the rogers.yahoo mail, or some change that my client is doing differently now, but I haven't found any settings and options on either my client or the rogers mail webinterface.

Mail used to come in prepended as [BULK] but downloaded through my inbox, allowing me to then filter based on names and other things for the NUMEROUS emails that I want, but which would get tagged for disposal otherwise.  Now, my client only downloads mail that is explicitly in the inbox, and does not let me download the contents of the "SPAM" folder, so I have all that email stuck on the server that I can only access via webmail, and lots of WANTED mail stuck in the SPAM folder.  And the only spam folder settings I seem to have control over his how long to let mail sit there before it self-destructs...

I use a client to avoid needing the web interface, and to setup my own filtering and sorting rules for organization, but if I can't download ALL the email and pass it through my own sanity-checks to catch various wanted mail (as well, I enjoy studying malicous spam mail), then Im out of luck.

DID something change in the email system regarding spam back at the start of February, or was it always that way, and I'm just missing a setting in my Thunderbird configuration that lets me download that SPAM folder after having rebuilt my TB account profile?

Appreciate very much if someone can help me identify a way to download every, every, every , every email in thunderbird 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I use Outlook as my client and I also noticed this. My Outlook settings allowed me, through rules and spam filter settings, to sort the mail as I desired.  The "Bulk" mail ended up in my Outlook "Junk Mail" folder, along with any "Rule" sorted e-mail that I told to go there.  I now only have access to (most) Junk/Spam on webmail, which is OK for me becuase only about 1 in 50 e-mails gets sent to spam/junk that shouldn't be there...

I have some of my e-mail that still comes in and ends up in my Outlook junk folder, but not very much...  I believe that's because it was not marked "bulk", but somehow ended up in my Junk folder, perhaps due to an Outlook setting.

I'm not sure how you can now get the mail from your Yahoo Spam folder to your client, without resorting to forwarding each message.  Perhaps someone else here has those settings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm surprised that no one else has commented on this issue.  I'm guessing that most people don't "miss" the spam that they no longer get on their e-mail clients like Outlook.

However, as you say, the occasional e-mail that is not spam may end up in the Yahoo Spam folder and people don't even "know" it.  So far, all I see in the Yahoo Spam folder has been actual spam - the type that was typically marked "bulk."

I have had the occasional rare e-mail end up in my Outlook "Junk e-mail" folder, but obviously those were e-mails that my Outlook settings put there.  I check my Outlook "Junk e-mail regularly and probably go into webmail once a week when I'm not travelling and daily when I am travelling.

Good Luck getting this sorted.  All of these changes may be related to Yahoo (POP and other) changes of early February, that caused issues for many people and their client software.  Perhaps people who are on IMAP instead of POP don't have this "problem".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, we probably didn't notice it because MOST spam-marked mail really IS spam, and we did not miss it.  BUT TODAY, I realized that I was missing a few emails and when I checked the server, there they were in the SPAM folder, but never POPed.

I have opened a ticket with Rogers on this.... and I hope you all would too to try to get this solved.  There used to a settings "choice" whether spam was to be forwarded or not.  

Why can't Rogers return to that????

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

I was just speaking to Rogers support (Case #C121884839).  They said Rogers is in the process of moving mail from Yahoo to their own servers.  This is expected to be completed by April 24.  So, we'll have to see what happens then.

Generally, the Yahoo servers have been OK, though there were a few performance issues.  Hopefully, the new servers will be better.  When I first started with Rogers Internet access, my email was with Rogers@home, then Rogers own servers, then Rogers Yahoo.  Hopefully, there won't be too many more changes.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not too many of us 'original' users still around 🙂

My household was one of the original 50 or so BETA users in the newmarket area before @home came out.

Yeah, its been interesting to see how many server moves, etc it has done.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

I started with Rogers Internet in the late 90s.  Prior to that I was on dial up with IBM Global Services "Advantis", where I had an ibm.net email account.  I also had an ibm.com address, as I worked at IBM back then.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

I also find this "feature" extremely annoying.  It often marks real mail as spam, yet still manages to ignore real spam.  My email app does a much better job of filtering than the mail server.  Why am I not allowed to let it do it's job?