Time For Takeoff

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Time For Takeoff

@toolcubed, if you called tech support to disable the Whole Home PVR function, that should get rid of any requirement for a MoCA POE filter.  The MoCA transmitter / receiver on the pvr should be disabled at that point.  I'd call tech support just to confirm that.  Fwiw, we've never had a MoCA POE filter installed, which makes some sense as we don't use any MoCA functions in the modem or set top box. 

As for the Return Path Attenuator, the problem here is the splitter, which drops the forward path by 7 db and adds a potential 7db gain to the output of the modem.  Ideally one would have a splitter that drops only the forward path and leaves the return path untouched.  I don't believe that such a splitter exists, so, it is what it is.  From what I remember, you're signal levels are ok with the splitter installed, and it's probable that the techs aren't finished adjusting the output levels of the node, so it might be too early to come to any conclusions on what needs to be done.  I'd wait until the dust settles and then see where the final signal levels are. 

I'm a Regular

Cool. Thanks. I’ll get tech support to disable whole home PVR, and I’ll wait until next Wed to see signal levels, which is when the Rogers crew said everything will be cutover and done. I’ve got my arsenal of splitters ready to go...and the amp too of I still need it (hopefully I don’t because I’d really like to keep it out of my configurationSmiley Happy)
I'm a Regular

@gp-se

I don’t have a PoE filter, which is why I was asking. I don’t want to pay for one and I don’t want to have a tech come out to install one because I’ve had nothing but bad luck with first level (non-senior) techs. So I’ll just have Rogers remove the whole home PVR feature from my account. Have never used whole home and never will.

Thanks for the info though. By the way, I too really enjoy playing with cabling and wiring up networks. Fun stuff Smiley Happy
I'm a Regular

Everything appears to be all done. Signal levels have stabilized. Decided to revert back to my previous setup...cable coming into the house connected to a 2-way splitter - one port feeding the CODA, the other port feeding the unity gain amp. Home phone line connected to VoIP port on amp, and TV lines connected to regular amp ports. TV boxes are around 0db with SNR at around 40. CODA levels are a bit more sporadic than they were before but SNR is much better now at between 39 and 40 for all channels...signal ranges from -1.5 to +5 across all channels. OFDM channel is sitting at -0.7db. Signal levels on the 3 upstream channels have also come down quite a bit...they’re sitting at 31.7, 31.7, and 34.5 respectively. Everything is working well. Speed tests are consistently 550/21 over wifi and 600/22 over ethernet.

On another note, construction is now taking place at the other end of the neighbourhood. Also, there are now at least another 3 nodes (the large “vault” boxes) at the other end of the neighbourhood...possibly 4. So the neighbourhood now has 7-8 nodes. Crazy!
I'm a Regular

So today, every single speed test topped out at 325Mbps. No more and no less. It was almost as if Rogers changed my profile to 325 (which I know doesn’t exist)...I just mean that’s what it feels like. Upload speed has not been affected (consistently 20-22). Signal levels have not changed either. I happened to drive by the original neighbourhood node (i.e. the very first one) today and noticed a big thick cable coming out of it, strung externally across lamp posts and going into a smaller green box down one of the streets. Could be fibre or could be the coax trunk cable, but whatever it is, it’s temporary for some reason. It was not there yesterday. Not saying it’s the cause for my lower download speed today but it can’t be just coincidence. Anyway, hope they get this resolved soon. Also, I noticed that they did NOT bring in NEW fibre from the street into any of the new nodes they installed here in the last month. Could they be splitting the fibre from the original node 7-8 ways for the other nodes??? If so, that wouldn’t make much sense to me.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@toolcubed I'm assuming your speeds has returned to normal? How's the construction going on the other side of your neighborhood?

I'm a Regular

Yep. All back to normal. Not sure about construction at the other end of the neighbourhood. Haven’t been out that way since before the holidays. I’d imagine they’re done by now.
Topic Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation