Time For Takeoff

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Time For Takeoff

I'd call the nearest Rogers store and ask.  I doubt they would have any, but, hey, you never know.   Failing that, if you happen to see a tech in the neighbourhood, I'd ask the tech for one.  

Are you using a MoCO 2.0 qualified splitter?  

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=catv-moca-splitter

Here's the spec sheet for the MoCA filters.  Assuming that the splitter is indoors, a MOCA-IHF would do:

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/pdf/MoCA-Series-Filters-1.6.pdf

I'm a Regular

@Datalink,

I’m using an Antronix splitter supplied by Rogers. It’s not moca certified. I’ll ask the tech next time he’s around here.

On another note, assuming the signal levels remain high, how would I get them down without pushing the upstream levels even higher? Adding another splitter or even an attenuator to my setup would bring levels down a bit more but then my upstream levels might be too high. Do you know how Rogers generally deals with homes that are located really close to a node with a short amount of coax?
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@toolcubed

Generally, node segmentation causes signal levels to rise. I'm sure that over the course of the next few days,  Rogers will adjust the signal strength for everyone in your neighborhood accordingly. 

For reference, my neighborhood was splitted at the headend last year, and I noticed signal levels increased to around the 5-7dBmV range. Over the course of a few days, I noticed that they lowered the signal strength accordingly. 

I'm a Regular

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on this over the next week. Maybe when they “cutover” next Tues, things will settle back down a bit.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed as @RyzenFX indicates, keep an eye on the signal levels over the next couple of weeks as the techs adjust them.  That might change the requirement from a splitter back to an amplifier.  Ideally the splitter would suffice.  

As for MoCA splitters, it looks like Antronix has finally decided to manufacture MoCA 2 splitters:

https://www.antronix.com/products/drop-passives/splitters.aspx

It looks like there are a couple of frequency ranges, 5 to 1.218 GHz for the CMC400X series and the 5 Mhz to 1.675 Ghz for the MMC 100XH/A and 200XH/A MoCA 2 qualified splitters.  They can be seen on this page:

https://www.antronix.com/products/results.aspx?filter=splitters

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the MoCA 2 splitters.  That is what you're after.  Question is, does Rogers actually have those in stock? 

Depending on where the final signal levels are, if you decide to stick with a splitter, and Rogers doesn't have any MoCA 2 qualified splitters, then I'd say you should buy your own.  If you're looking to obtain the highest performance level out of your MoCA 2 network, then you need access to the upper frequency range, up to 1.675 Ghz so that you can use the D-High band in its entirety. 

As for the signal levels overall, for now, keep an eye on them to see where they go.  In terms of dropping them any further with a signal attenuator, you will end up pushing up the outbound upstream signal levels.  

For now, my greater concern a MoCA network in operation without a MoCA Point of Entry filter attached.  Hopefully your MoCA network is encrypted.  If you can't get a tech to drop one off, there's always amazon, if necessary:

https://www.amazon.ca/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6

For more info, have a look at the following post and the posts after that:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Wifi-extender-for-hitron-coda-4582/m-p/425323#M53161

I'm a Regular

Thanks Datalink. As usual, very helpful and very informative Smiley Happy
I'm a Regular

@Datalink, @RyzenFX

Would a return path attenuator bring the upstream levels down?
I'm a Regular

One more question in addition to the question above about return path attenuators...

I’m rethinking the need for a PoE filter. The only MOCA setup I have is whole home PVR for my 2 NB3 boxes. We have never used the feature and never will. If I were to ask Rogers to remove that feature from my account, would that negate the need for a PoE filter? Are there any other reasons for needing a PoE filter if I’m not using a MOCA network?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
One more question in addition to the question above about return path attenuators...

I’m rethinking the need for a PoE filter. The only MOCA setup I have is whole home PVR for my 2 NB3 boxes. We have never used the feature and never will. If I were to ask Rogers to remove that feature from my account, would that negate the need for a PoE filter? Are there any other reasons for needing a PoE filter if I’m not using a MOCA network?

If you have Whole Home PVR then you need the POE filter, it doesn't matter if you use whole home pvr or not, the POE filter needs to be installed. The reason is you will broadcast MOCA signals from your house onto everyone else on your Tap/Node. 

There is no downside to having the POE filter installed, so I would leave it installed. Coax has a big problem with noise, and the POE filter helps combat some of that issue.

I have a "complex" coax setup in my house where my two whole home pvr's have a POE filter and dedicated line that isolates them from my home phone and cable modem. Then I also have another POE filter that blocks any leakage from the TAP coming into my demarc. When I was wiring it all together my wife told me to get a job at Rogers as an installer... lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
@Datalink, @RyzenFX

Would a return path attenuator bring the upstream levels down?

It would have the opposite effect, your return signals would actually increase because the modem has to "talk louder" to the head end.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation