Throttling RTMP to Twitch

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Throttling RTMP to Twitch

@dtx1@Makaveli99, the second hop outbound is problematic, either in the case where the modem is running in Gateway mode, or where its running in Bridge mode with a router behind it.  In this last case, the modem acts as an invisible bridge to the CMTS.  The second hop in both cases is the Casa Systems CMTS.  

In both cases, an IPV4 or IPV6 ICMP ping will result in ping spikes, usually up into the 80 to 90 ms range.  That's an internal modem issue that applies to more than one modem of Hitron modem.  I've asked to have that corrected as it once was with the CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552, don't remember the details now.  So, it was corrected in another modem, it shouldn't be hard to carry out that same correction for current modem firmware, personal opinion.  You will also see false packet loss indications from the modem and CMTS if you carry out a ping test beyond the CMTS with Pingplotter.  A command line ping test will confirm or dispel the false packet loss indications from the modem or the CMTS.

The end result is that you can't rely on a ping test to the CMTS to look at response times and latency between the modem and CMTS.  You can still use a ping test to the CMTS IP address to check for packet loss, and if you let that run for a 24 hour period, you should only see somewhere around 10 to 20 packets lost throughout that time period.  

From my own testing, that indicated ping spike from the CMTS doesn't have any effect on results to targets beyond the CMTS.  

@dtx1, in terms of the TCP issues that you indicated, Hitron and Rogers started to issue firmware updates to resolve latency issues with the Puma 6 modems in Sept 2016.  That was an IPV4 ICMP fix only.  Since that time, there have been further updates to reduce other protocol latency, but, no one, including Intel, Hitron or Rogers has come out with any proof in the form of multi-protocol ping plots which indicate that Intel has finally put the Puma 6 latency issue to bed.  I've been running the Puma 7 CODA-4582 since Dec 2016, so, I haven't had any opportunity to determine if the Puma 6 latency that I noticed much earlier that year has finally been resolved. 

I can say that the 4582 does not suffer from the latency issues that the Puma 6 modems had.  The one exception is the rather annoying ping latency to the CMTS.  That was introduced in version 2.0.10.27, and its been there ever since.  

To determine if there are issues remaining with latency thru the Puma 6 modem, that would require someone to run the following in both IPV4 and IPV6 for both Gateway and Bridge modes:

1.  ICMP ping test to the Rogers DNS

2.  TCP/IP ping test to the Rogers DNS

3.  DNS query to the Rogers DNS to generate UDP responses which can be clocked and plotted.

That's another discussion, with a set of instructions that I need to post for anyone to carry out.....

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

I will try your suggestions when I have more time to focus on it.

But currently, anytime of day.  

The Twitch Bandwidth Test is an absolute failure with any of the logically ideal ingest servers.

like 0's for QC and Toronto.  Under 50 everywhere else (when running the medium test, short test does yield some awesome results on occasion, but repeating it again and again shows that it doesn't work properly).

I'm Here A Lot

Having the same issues as everyone here. Been 2+ years, and attempted nearly everything found in this thread. I've spent hundreds of my own money buying routers, changing plans under the Rogers umbrella to no avail.

This is an absolute farce. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aeroteq may I refer you to the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Gaming-amp-Streaming-Lab/m-p/440211#M56121

Please post a brief synopsis in that thread so that @RogersAndy can respond to your post. 

I'm Here A Lot

I've been a small streamer for over 2 years now, and have been having this issue on multiple modems. rogers is a joke.

I have learned to not expect anything to get better, instead, to get worse, and to pay more over time.

Quite literally the worst customer service, and worst performance per canadian dollar.

There are no solutions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@delos, can I draw your attention to the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Gaming-amp-Streaming-Lab/m-p/440211#M56121

Could you post your circumstances in a post within that thread so that @RogersAndy can have a loot at it.  

I Plan to Stick Around

So i was having the same issue as everybody else, when streaming to RTMP upload would drop to 0 every few seconds.

If i stream FTL to mixer upload holds steady. RTMP to same server, upload drops to 0 every few seconds.

However after a call to office of the president my issues magically went away. No more streaming problems.

However i just upgraded to ignite tv and now my problems are back.

The plot thickens, this is on the technicolor broadcom modem.

#beingthrottledchangemymind

Thanks so much for sending us a PM, we'll be happy to assist and continue there in identifying the issue. Feel free to post your traceroute results that show the issue in effect here though when able. (Be sure to remove any personal information such as IP or MAC address). This way others who may have the same issue can have a stepping stone for identifying their latency.

@RogersAndy