Third Party Modem Wifi, or range extender

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Third Party Modem Wifi, or range extender

Hi,

I am subscribed to the Rogers 250gb 50mbps plan. I've recently noticed extremely slow connections with 2-3mbps max. This was odd as my internet is usually at the advertised speeds.

I've realized that the range of the Cisco DPC3825 default modem is the problem. I am using a deskstop with a wifi usb stick. If i move the Modem within 1 meter, i get 50mbps on speedtest.net. However, if i move it 4 meters away, i get 3mbps max. Naturally, connecting it wired gives me full speeds as well.

Is there a solution to this? This affects even my phone/tablets. I cant believe i have to settle for 5% of advertised speeds just because i am greater than 1 meter from the modem

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Third Party Modem Wifi, or range extender

While the range on the Cisco isnt that great.. SHOULD be getting better than that. 

You can set the unit into BRIDGED mode, and put your own 3rd party router.
This should give you better range PERIOD.

There are quite a number of things to consider when looking at the routers though.  Usually in these cases.. more $ = better.
A better quality router.. exernal antennas, etc.. will all add up to better wireless quality and range.

One thing to look at as well, is where/how the USB wireless adapter is connected.  If its just plugged into the PC.. might not be in the best local.  A short USB extender might allow you to get it up into a clearer area to receive the signal.

And lastly.. goes for with the rogers, or ANY router... is interfearance. 
A standard router like the Cisco.. or any basic 3rd party.. only operates on the 2.4ghz range.  There is ALOT that can be on this freqency.. from portable phones, bluetooth and microwaves.  its also the most common... so you can get ALOT of people on the same freqencies when living close together (like in an apartment building).
Doing a basic wireless survey, might find alot of interfearance on the channels the wireless currently is opperating on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with Gkitty, definitely something wrong there.  Here is a link for inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  Load this on your wifi pc or laptop and have a look at the network list to see how your network stacks up against your neighbors in terms of the received power.  Maybe one of your neighbors has set up a wifi router recently that is causing problems.  InSSIDer will display that to you. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I've Been Around

I was given an Engenius EAP9550 and a Linksys Rangebooster to use if I need them? Will I need them at all and can they be used to extend wireless from the basement to the upstairs better? I don't know what they are or if they are useful to me at this point. I do have the router in the basement and the townhouse is three stories high. Would either of these help with signal range and if so how do i set them up and which one? Can either of them replace the router I currently have (save me the rental cost?) 

Good afternoon and welcome to the Community @Marley1,

You've definitely come to the right place! I'll tag some of our Resident Experts to best answer your inquiry! @Gdkitty @Datalink

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That engenius unit appears to be an access point & smoke detector?

Either unit, should be able to be used as a 'range extender'.

If your modem is in the basement, then yes may not reach fully to the upstairs, depending on the house.
Putting a range extender, etc in place will help 'repeat' this signal to be able to have better signal upstairs.

As for SETUP on the units.. each will be completely different.
You would be best to look up the manuals for each specific model.