Thinking about upgrading to 250u internet from 70u.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thinking about upgrading to 250u internet from 70u.

I am thinking of upgrading from 70u to 250u. Seems to be a nice upgrade for $20 a month. Most of our internet use is wireless. I have the new Hitron gigabit gateway. Should I see a big difference even with wireless? I want to be sure I won't be disappointed. Using iPad pro's tablets. Any advice or comments would be appreciated! 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

Re: Thinking about upgrading to 250u internet from 70u.

@Ranger66 wrote:

I am thinking of upgrading from 70u to 250u. Seems to be a nice upgrade for $20 a month. Most of our internet use is wireless. I have the new Hitron gigabit gateway. Should I see a big difference even with wireless? I want to be sure I won't be disappointed. Using iPad pro's tablets. Any advice or comments would be appreciated! 

One thing to remember is that you are sharing the bandwidth. Your internet experience depends on the available bandwidth, the actual capability of your device, and when using wifi, the distance from the access point as well as interference and wifi settings. So in short, if you are running more that 3 devices on the internet at any one time, you should see a significant change in performance of those devices. Don't expect a device that is connected to the 2.4g band to get a speed of 250 mbps when a normal (real life) speed could be between 40-50 mbps.

I'm sure there will be a lot more input on this subject.

Brian

I'm a Senior Advisor

It also depends upon what you are using the tablets for.  If you are downloading HD pictures and uploading the same, you will see a difference, in particular if others are doing other media heavy activities like streaming video or music.

You will see an improvement in upload.

But the question of difference will be as @borford mentioned, largely dependent upon your devices (if you are on 2.4, your speed is limited by the wireless and speed difference would only be seen through ethernet connections, or if you do have 5.0 you will see differences), as well, as what you actually do with those devices.  

Here is a link that does a nice job of thinking about how you use bandwidth based upon devices and usage patterns.  https://www.ottcommunications.com/how-much-internet-speed-do-i-really-need/

As an example, in my home, we have all devices on 5.0 Mhz wireless.  We have two phones and two laptops and two media boxes that run Netflix.

Using that table, since we have only 2 people in our home, never will all devices be running at the same time. Our usage is Facebook and other social media, but we don't stream the videos on Facebook except as we choose to. It isn't uncommon that 2 of us are doing social media and checking email, occassionally sending a picture or downloading a picture.

We have maybe twice streamed Netflix movies or You Tube (we have ours defaulted to medium quality 720 because our aging eyes see no difference on 720 versus 1280?) and to minimize the bandwidth.

So I would guess based upon that, we are at best looking at around 10 Mps, which is why we never even saw a difference. in general when we went from 30 to 60 (it was a free switch then as we were on 60, but our modem only did 30).  So the only thing 250 would do for me is allow me to bring down my Ancestry family tree faster - one or two hours rather than 4 or 5, and that wouldn't matter, because I do that during the night time while we sleep.

So, the answer really depends.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Just FYI,

I have gigabit. On wireless, my PS4 and XBOX never clock out at more than 120 mbps at peak. On wired, they are 500-750mbps peak, 190 average. It really just depends if your devices have the tech that the modem does. Hardwire is a huge advantage regardless, but if you're just looking to upgrade and wireless is your concern--$20 might be better spent something else, like saving up to buy out your contract or something lol jk.

I've Been Here Awhile

Great info Bruce! Thanks so much!

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply and info. Much appreciated!