The significance of "FIBE"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The significance of "FIBE"

I live in an area that just got upgraded with the Rogers "Fibe" Service.  I know this means that an optical fiber line was

installed.  However,  I am not sure what this means to my overall Rogers service.  What is the significance of the "fibe' line, especially with regards to my Cable TV and Internet Services.   The age old lines from the street to my home is still the same as before.   Thanks.

***EDITED LABLES***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: The significance of "FIBE"

'Fibe' is a Bell brand name that is used to describe their DSL-based services.

Rogers' old Internet plans were called 'Hybrid Fibre ABC' in an attempt to compete with that.

Fundamentally, both names are marketing. Rogers' 'Hybrid Fibre' is the same hybrid fiber coax network architecture they've been running for over 15 years; Bell's 'Fibe' has fiber going up to a box on the side of the road, not into your actual premises...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really in the end doesn't do much.
Fibre in the end, just had a higher bandwidth, can transfer more data, etc.
But that only really effects the main feeds, etc, as you said, the last mile is still just copper coax.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your comments.  So really the installation of the Optical Fibre lines is a direct benefit to Rogers then.  However, if the optical fibre lines are more efficient  there is an indirect benefit  to the users. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@malam wrote:

Thanks for your comments.  So really the installation of the Optical Fibre lines is a direct benefit to Rogers then.  However, if the optical fibre lines are more efficient  there is an indirect benefit  to the users. 

Huh???

Nothing is being installed other than WORDS and MARKETING.

The Rogers network operates on the same basic design as 15 years ago. They are continually making upgrades that increase capacity (e.g. DOCSIS 3, adding more DOCSIS 3 channels) and bringing fiber mildly closer to your house (by splitting nodes). But there hasn't been a huge shift with lots of fiber being installed in the last year or two in a way that dramatically changes anything...