Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

1. Rogers bandwidth caps are only competitive with other massive companies, like Bell.

2. It has been investigated and proven that these bandwidth trackers are inaccurate.

Let's compare a Teksavvy plan, for example, to your most comparable.

Teksavvy: 12 Mbps down, 0.5 Mbps up, 300 GB cap, $37/month. After modem purchase, which you must do with them, it's $45.25/month average.

Rogers: 12 Mbps down, 0.5 Mbps up, 60 GB cap, $46/month + $7/month modem rental

Basically, with Rogers, you pay more and get less.

Teksavvy, by the way, has NO CONTRACT. Your contract is 50% off for 6 months, which puts it after the 1 year contract at on average $40.5/month, after modem rental. While this is cheaper for the first year (by $57), after the year is up, you don't have a $100 modem to show for it, and are still stuck paying the rental fee.

I asked Rogers tech support if I could purchase the modem instead of rent it, and I got a no. So, all in all, Rogers is not comparable price wise.

And that's not even getting into tech support issues I've had...
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure why you were told you can't buy the modem . . . that is just NOT true.  They charge $199 for the DOCSIS 3 gateways . . . not cheap, but better than renting in my opinion.

I've Been Around

This is rediculous. I got into the weekend stress test for Star Wars: The Old Republic. After downloading the 40 gig game client that weekend, and now a 12 gig patch for the upcoming weekend, I am over my "usage cap". Add regular internet usage over the rest of the month, and I'll likely hit my $50 cap. And this will be far from the first month I've gone over my cap.

These usage caps are completely rediculous. I will be switching my ISP as soon as possible.

I Plan to Stick Around

@MichelR wrote:

I thought the maximum overage fee was $50?

They jacked it to $50 around the time they severely lowered the 'allowances', last year some time I think.

I Plan to Stick Around

i dont know if you this but Bell Canada has Bandwith insurance, this is how it works:  You choose a plan you want lets say a Preformance plan @ $39/Month with 25gb bandwith, then ask for the insurance and you can choose how much more bandwith you want, max is pay $15 xtra a month and get extra 120GB So it becomes 25GB+120GB and $54/ month

I Plan to Stick Around

the bandwidth cap is  A JOKE!!!!!!
if you watch hd on netflix you;ll be over the limit in like 5 days!!!
im talking about a internet that costs 65$ a month, and has a sped of 24 mbits, and the cap is only 100 gigs?!?! thats insane?!?! whoever makes these rules must have no understanding of the internet.  I'ts just insulting, stop putting up with this crap rogers customers!

I've Been Around

Rogers needs to get with the times. They are either ignorant about the needs of consumers when it comes to internet usage or are just out to gouge the consumer. More and more consumers are using netflix and more and more users are downloading games, streaming videos on youtube. All this uses alot more data usage that is currently allotted by the current caps. Rogers needs to adjust before they lose alot of customers to bells fiber op(too late) which does not have a cap on usage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

poker191, please do a little research before posting information like on your last line.

http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

As you can see, bell fiber, while having HIGHER caps that rogers, still does have caps on usage.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@poker191 wrote:

Rogers needs to get with the times. They are either ignorant about the needs of consumers when it comes to internet usage or are just out to gouge the consumer. More and more consumers are using netflix and more and more users are downloading games, streaming videos on youtube. All this uses alot more data usage that is currently allotted by the current caps. Rogers needs to adjust before they lose alot of customers to bells fiber op(too late) which does not have a cap on usage.

I think that both Rogers and Bell recognized a cash cow when they saw one! A few years ago, both companies provided unlimited bandwidth usage. But as you have suggested, with the advent of Netflix, Rogers own On Demand Online, streaming of videos and increased downloading, there was a profit to be made in this for the big telecoms! By limiting bandwidth usage, they either charge you more for going over your limit or they entice you to pay more for a higher tiered service with increased bandwidth usage. 

Gdkitty is 100% correct. Just check his link. Do you honestly think that if Bell was providing unlimited bandwidth, that Rogers would not follow suit? Bell was the first to initiate a bandwidth allowance. Who do you think followed suit! If you guess Rogers, you get a medal! Do you honestly not believe that there is collusion in the industry? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only a few of the 3rd party providers currently provide unlimited.. often for slightly more $ than the equiv bell/rogers, at the same download speed.

But these are often limited sometimes on the areas that they do cover.. and they also rent the lines from Bell or rogers, so if you have a general service/outage issue due to lines, etc in your area, switching to them may not fix your problem.