Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

All due respect Erin, that is not a solution.  You are implying that you know Rogers caps are too small, and telling us to manage our usage ourselves by watching less content.  Now I open my latest bill and monthly rates are going up $3 again!?

I started a thread months ago about data caps and speed and giving the customer a choice of which they prefer: faster speed or more data.  Can you please confirm that Rogers at least acknowledged my message and is considering the issue?  I rented the newer DOCSIS gateway in order to get the "free" data upgrade to 80gb when the speeds were upgraded last fall.  Please, if Rogers needs to increase rates again, at least offer us options of speed vs data caps.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's not just Rogers, it's North America, Canada is the worst.  There simply needs to be more big company competiton.  Look at European internet plans..they destroy us.  The basic plan in most European countries is 100Mbps download/100Mbps upload and unlimited bandwidth for $50 a month.

It's insane how badly we get ripped off over here.

I'm Here A Lot

Simply isn't economically justified to have the caps that we do.

They are doing it purely out of greed - that and likely they have a few key people in their pockets.  But I am hearing a lot about he Bell unlimited, I am hearing their techs are working 7 days a week they are so busy.

I've Been Around

I'd say bandwidth caps are here to stay. I used to troubleshoot for Comcast. Even they have caps, 250 gig a month. (may have changed in the last 5 months or so but it was that last year). And with them, unlike Rogers, they didn't charge you for going over, if they saw you were going over, you would get an email, if you kept it up, they would simply cancel your account after a number of warnings.

Bakeman

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can now pay Rogers $10/month to get your bandwidth unlimited.

Fine print: you need to subscribe to internet/tv/homephone in order to get this option.

So not the option if you think you will be getting rid of TV/Phone and just using netflix/cellphone/freephoneline.ca
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im not so sure..

Many of the 3rd party ones are going the route of having larger/unlimited options... even rogers/bell is offering unlimited upgrades right now.

Will we see EVERY plan with unlimited? Likely not... but at least some more availability of it.. and hopefuly higher caps to begin with.

At least its not like WIND mobile.. was looking at them yesterday... their cellular unlimited plans? While yes still unlimited, arent so great as they seem... After 5g of your 'unlimited' data.. they drop your data rate, to 256k!  This is on cellular, so email/web wouldnt be TOO bad and bearable.. but no other data apps/streaming.
Imagine if they did that to your regular inetnet though!  Yikes..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Chris wrote:
You can now pay Rogers $10/month to get your bandwidth unlimited.

Fine print: you need to subscribe to internet/tv/homephone in order to get this option.

So not the option if you think you will be getting rid of TV/Phone and just using netflix/cellphone/freephoneline.ca

Well, you can still get it, but its then $30 to add it on... so NOT quite the same deal as getting it for 10.
Still cheaper than overages Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bakeman wrote:

I'd say bandwidth caps are here to stay. I used to troubleshoot for Comcast. Even they have caps, 250 gig a month. (may have changed in the last 5 months or so but it was that last year). And with them, unlike Rogers, they didn't charge you for going over, if they saw you were going over, you would get an email, if you kept it up, they would simply cancel your account after a number of warnings.

Bakeman

I would agree with you. As Chris and GdKitty have pointed out, Rogers (along with their major competitor) are offering unlimited Internet for $10 if you subscribe to 3 services and $30 if you do not. However, this is a limited time offer which expires at the end of March and I am sure they will likely go back to the usual bandwidth caps because as Rogers will tell you; they offer plans to suit all needs! LOL!

**Edited for content**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR, I asked two people (one tech one billing) and there was a post on Facebook about how long the unlimited goes.

They have said, at least for now, the sign update to be able to have it on the account is march 31, but it will continue after that date. So even if its not available anymore, it will continued on as a 'grandfathered' plan.

Though that could all change Smiley Tongue.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You are correct. I am afraid I worded that post poorly. Yes, the deadline for signing up for unlimited Internet usage is March 31 and if you sign up by then, the unlimited usage continues well beyond that date. The point I meant to make was that after March 31, it will be too late to sign up (as it stands now) and the normal usage allowances will continue on all plans! I guess it remains to be seen whether or not they extend this date. My guess is it depends on what the major competitor does.