Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Bell Aliant offers unlimited bandwidth caps with their FibreOP internet in Atlantic Canada.
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow Bell just added as of today the Unlimited Internet Usage, no more Caps on their internet, for just $10.00 more a month you can get unlimited usage.. no caps this is GREAT!!! when is Rogers going to get on board with the same??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We can only hope they do!

Though, i did read into it a little more
Its only that price, if you have 3 services with them, $30 otherwise. (and really, its $30 with a 20 credit, with 3 services.. i worry that credit will disapear at some point Smiley Tongue).

So may depend on what you have.

But hopefuly its a move in the right direction.. them doing it, in the long run will HOPEFULY force the change here as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well i would think that most people on Bell will have all 3 services, I know I do! and it makes alot of sense I would rather pay $10 dollars extra a month and be able to surf the net anytime with no worries of going over my bandwith, this is a great step ahead for bell users, of course some rogers users will think differently... but better then paying what rogers is charging for a cap...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No argument that its a good move on their part Smiley Happy
and i hope rogers follows along.

This seems to be more along the lines of others who have unlimited plans (techsavvy, etc).. X amount for regular plan, or a little more for same speeds, but unlimited cap.

ME, it wouldnt really effect me, as i never go anywhere near my cap as it is.. but like you said, its nice to know that if there is no cap, your not always having that thought in your mind 'will i go over?'

I Plan to Stick Around

Thats just it Gdkitty,

It's the peace of mind of not worrying if you are anywhere close getting over your bandwith cap or not, I can actually now watch more movies online and surf all i want without having to worry about it, and honestly for $10 more then what I was paying its really worth it. when mentioned earlier about most people having 3 services with a provider, that would be with any provider, to me it always made more sense to have everything together with one company, this way it eliminates more bills from other companies and you are at a better chance with bundles then if you were to be with them spread out with everyone else.. It makes more sense to have it all in one place.. Rogers should jump on this cause you know paying $225.00 for 500GB just does not cut.. unless your a business and you can afford it... hehehehe

I'm a Senior Advisor

It di really suck last monh when I had house guests for the month and half way hrough the month 100GB of the 120GB were already gone.. We had to stop netflix all together and make sure no one downloaded anything (ie updating their OS or the TomTom app on their iPads and iPhones...) Very embarrassing having to tell my guests to stop using the internet for anything other then web browsing and emails.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah..  like i said, i totaly agree that they SHOULD be matching this, in some way or form..
People leaving rogers to go to a 3rd party unlimited.. hit and miss, some people like the security of a biger company.. but if bell is providing this then, you are likely to see more.   They really need to match it in some form or will loose out alot.

Now, timeframe may be the question.  Many people will thing that "oh company X just announced this, rogers needs to do the same TODAY".. its probably not that simple, going through all the upper channels/management, implementation, setup for billing of it, etc... it may take a bit before its implemented.

@chris:  While i know its not as hospitible to guests.. i set up a 'guest' network for them, just for that reason.  I had my cousin over for a week, and he ate my usage up.. torrenting, etc.. and actualy i got a letter from rogers, that whatever company was monitoring that torrent of their product and reported me.  It just wasnt worth it... so set up the guest network.. gives them net access, i think it allows email, etc as well.. but thats about it.. most other forms of access, it blocks, just to be safe.

if rogers did an unlimited, i wouldnt be as much of an issue (though.. i guess content of those downloads, you still have to watch Smiley Tongue)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Really the embarrassing part was they come from a place in the world where there is no bandwidth caps so they had never even thought of it. Explaining that I pay a ton for a little was the embarrassing part.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, when I got the email from Bell regarding the unlimited Internet Usage, I was like right on top of it, I called them right away and the CSR added the unlimited to my account right away, I figured for an extra $10 a month it is all worth the money.. Now we can have netflix hooked up to the HD TV and watch movies there instead of having to pay for extra movie channels.. this unlimited usage has been long overdue.. I am Glad that they did this.. and your right it will take Rogers time to implement this, but im sure if they want to keep the customers from moving on, they will have to jump ship..Customers are not going to stay with someone when they are capping their internet, this has been an ongoing thing, thats why customers left to go with 3rd party providers for the unlimited usage...

Im a happy camper...