TechXpert Question.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

TechXpert Question.

I purchased a new pc (Dell XPS 8900) and since I'm not very pc savy, I occasionally get notices that pop up stating some features aren't dowloaded or need to be updated.

Since I don't know how to do this, would TechXpert (I have techxpert) be able to diagnose and complete the process of correcting the software errors that I've made?

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: TechXpert Question.

Hello @Nickel11,

TechXpert can certainly look into these issues for you. Please give them a call. You can find more information about TechXpert here

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The advice that I would give to anyone is, "don't  believe the pop-ups".  While they might sometimes be correct, such as you need Adobe Flash or Shockwave player or java installed, do not follow the link that is provided.  Take note of it and when you have time, go to the actual company site using your own search after restarting the browser, search within the company site to find the necessary software and install it yourself so that you know where its coming from and you know what has been installed.  If you see a pop-up saying that you need a virus scan, ignore it, and if you feel that its necessary, initiate a scan with your own anti-virus / Anti-spam software.  Close the offending site and restart your browser.  These are designed to scare you into thinking that you have to use the provided link to scan your pc or laptop, while in reality, their purpose is to load something onto your pc or laptop that shouldn't be there.  It is very possible that you might get a visual and audible alert from your own antivirus software if you run across an infected web site or receive an infected email.  That will happen someday, no doubt.

Miscreants, and I'm pretty generous calling them that as I could use other less flattering terms, develop pop-ups that look legitimate to direct you to malware laden sites, where your pc is infected with something that you believe is beneficial to you.  The end result can be data theft and/or ID theft.  These pop-ups can be installed on sites that you trust through add linking, which is a common practice.  The company that hosts these adds would have been hacked and various files loaded onto their servers, surreptitiously, to be used on legitimate web sites, or, the site that you may have visited may have been hacked due to old web management software that should have been updated by its owner. 

So, ensure that you have antivirus / antispam software loaded with updated definitions, ensure that you are using a User account for everyday use, not the Admin account, and most importantly, have faith in your laptop security which will be provided by both previous items.  Knowing that your laptop is secure will give you the confidence to say, yup, another possible hacking pop-up, close the tab, restart the browser and move on.  And if you have any concerns, run your own virus scan. 

The one recommendation I would have is to load Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

There is a free version that you can load and use as a secondary scanner for your lapotp or pc, which is what I do.  So, you don't have to buy it unless you want to.  Don't select the freebie trial Premium version checkbox when you install it.  After you install it, run the update function to update the database.  You will have to do this prior to running a scan with the program as this is the freebie version and it doesn't update automatically.  When you run a scan for the first time there will be several files that it will want to quarantine and delete.  That is normal. I've never had any issues with it quarantining files which I delete a day or two later.  After that is done, restart the pc or laptop and run it again to ensure the pc or laptop is clean.  After that, whenever you want to use it, a single update and scan should be fine and hopefully you will never see anything that requires the program to quarantine or delete.

When the laptop or pc is clean, after checking with your primary antivirus, run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  No antivirus software is perfect, so, what the first one misses, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will hopefully detect and quarantine.

If you do have any doubts about something, as Rogershassam indicated you could use the Techxpert service, or, ask a question in the forum although the forum is oriented towards Rogers equipment and programming issues.  Don't be afraid to ask as there should be several people on the forum with the skills and knowledge to answer your question. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not very pc savvy so I'm not sure where to find the information within my pc (desktop). This is the reason I made sure to get TechXpert when renegotiating my bundle package.

Thanks for the detailed reply datalink, I'll have to reread it several time to see if I can grasp how to proceed to correct these issues. As for not relying on pop ups, I agree, but since I am finding issues with my mouse, audio, video etc, it leads me to belive I am in fact in need of software upgrade on certain hardware.

I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't had a chance to deal with this problem yet, but I'd say I've gotten the information I needed. Thanks