Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Suffering Packet loss

@Datalink Cummings area and it's a house

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I think I have that worked out.  Older part of Ottawa if I'm correct, not that is should matter, but it does appear to matter.  Out of curiosity is your external cabling underground or overhead from a utility pole?

What you could try is to call tech support and indicate that you're seeing high ping times to the CMTS and to the .204 DNS address.  Use my times as a comparison point.  My average to the .204 is 10 ms, yours is 30 ms.  So, that's not good.  It might be a case of heavy loads thru your CMTS.  In any event, see what the tech might say in response.  I saw a post last week which indicated that there were no Level II techs, as in one level above the tech that you will be speaking with.  If so, ask the CSR what the % load is on your CMTS, and if he or she doesn't know, as I would expect that he or she wouldn't, then who's the next level up from him or her?  Whomever that is, that is who you want to be speaking with.  My personal opinion is that this is a network issue, not a modem issue.  Running a plot with Pingplotter might add some evidence to this.  That program will run in Pro mode14 days before it kicks down to a limited freebie mode if you don't buy a Standard or Pro licence.  So, you could run that for a day to see the difference between the quiet early morning hours and the later heavily loaded evening hours.  Fwiw, the growth in data thru the CMTS's is higher that the forecasts that Rogers has been using, and one of the items to work on in improving on the growth forecasts in order to avoid overloaded CMTS's.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink For now do you think it could be faulty rocket modem? I really dont want to deal with being told to wait on the line for hours and hours.... Also do you think buying a router and doing bridge mode would fix it? I hate wasting time on the line for hours ughhhhhh

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I lowered my MS by disabling ipv6 in the router settings...It's a lot smoother now!! I think it's acceptable level now 😄

I Plan to Stick Around

Had my modem replaced. No improvements.

I still don't understand what my traceroute is showing me:

traceroute to google.ca (172.217.1.3), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 0.428 ms * *
2 174.115.204.1 (174.115.204.1) 27.136 ms 27.209 ms 28.657 ms
3 69.63.255.181 (69.63.255.181) 30.013 ms 30.112 ms 30.215 ms
<snip>
9 yyz10s14-in-f3.1e100.net (172.217.1.3) 41.716 ms 40.608 ms 40.526 ms

This 174.115.204.1 IP -- someone from Rogers said it's the modem in bridge mode. Other technician says no, that's not the modem IP (and I believe them - I can ping 192.168.100.1 and it's fine) they have no idea and no way to find out what that IP address is. It's the first hop after my router. It was hitting 18% packetloss during an mtr run this evening, and during my speed test that Rogers asked me to run, it spiked to 11,000 ms latency. Pinging the modem (192.168.100.1) during speed tests shows an occasional spike from 1 ms up to 13ms but no loss and nothing as insane as 11,000.

Pinging 174.115.204.1 without even doing anything else on the internet, it spikes to 180ms.

I believe this ^ IP address is some node in Rogers network upstream from me (is this the "CMTS"?) and it's having issues, with either a hardware fault or congestion or something. But nobody at Rogers that I can get in touch with can tell me anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello me again.

I had the issue happen again even using ipv4 only. I was so sick of it I called Rogers and they sent a tech.

The tech noticed the problem, and decided to cut my cables and then put new heads on them. The problem persisted so he switched the splitter in the basement. The problem still persisted and he noticed the spikes to the CMTS. He also cut the cables somewhere in the back of my house, but the problem was still there. He didn't know what to do and he advised me to call technical support and ask about the CMTS. 

I decided to go out and buy a router at staples. I bought a AC1900 router D-Link 878, because I heard good things about it. I have 30 days to return it, and I am testing. 

I discovered it lowered my MS by quite a bit running it on bridge mode, however the CMTS is still showing spikes which make me rage really hard in competitive games. 

Any advice? I hate calling support because I am on hold waiting for them to pick up...

In other news the router is pretty good, and pretty happy with the purchase. 

Hello @zeny12 and @daveinsurgent,

While I'm happy that you were both able to have technicians visit, I'm sorry to see that you still have persistent issues. 

Perhaps @Datalink or @gp-se have a suggestion to share before we look into sending someone back out to you?

RogersShaun

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zeny12 run a ping test to Rogers DNS 64.71.255.204.  If you are running a CODA-4582 modem (the big white modem) you will see ping spikes from the CMTS.  Thats a modem issue.  The question is, do you see ping spikes when you ping the DNS?  You shouldn't, but, having said that, depending on your neighborhood and the load on the CMTS, you could see an average that is above a normal 13 to 15 ms range with much higher spikes.  

Can you confirm for me that you're running the CODA-4582 modem at the present time.  If so, can you log in and have a look at the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and see if one of the OFDM Downstream channels is active, which indicates that the modem is running DOCSIS 3.1.   If it is, one channel will be active and the other will be inactive.  The upstream OFDM channels will be inactive as Rogers does not have 3.1 upstream running yet. 

It might be time to call on the services of @RogersBob to weigh in here and have a look at everything from the modem to the CMTS and provide any direction that he can in order to solve the problem. 

Edit:  if you're running Pingplotter, drop the interval time down to 0.02 seconds and let that run for about 5 min.  You have to override the interval time selection in the upper right hand corner.  Plotting the results on a 1 min plot will show if you're seeing any ping spikes beyond the CMTS.  If you run a ping test to the CMTS, with a 4582 modem, that should definitely produce ping spikes on the plot.  Its just a question of whether or not you're seeing the same behavior beyond the CMTS, and if so, there's a problem somewhere in the path and my guess is at the CMTS. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello Datalink. @Datalink

Ok I am doing the ping to the DNS server at the moment, and yes I am now using the CODA modem. As a few seconds running it I've seen a a few 40MS ones and a 71MS.

I cannot login to the Status window anymore because it takes me to the D-Link web browser instead now. I remember seeing a OFDM downstream before though.

Edit: Not using pingplotter at the moment I am using the CMD. I can download pingplotter if needed.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 543, Received = 543, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 88ms, Average = 16ms