Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Suffering Packet loss

@Datalink Hey thanks for the reply.

I use a Ethernet cable cat 6 to connect to my PC.

I've let it run for around 10minutes now and I've already seen a "timed out" and several 100MS+ ones when pinging the CMTS.

I'll run it for 50 more minutes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At the end of the run, the stats will include the amount of packet loss.  You shouldn't see any packet loss at all.  The timeouts aren't necessarily an indication of packet loss.  They are an indication that the response did not make the 4000 ms cut-off point before the ping application declared a timeout.  You can actually set the time out to a higher value, which will really prove that the packet is indeed lost, not delayed by a heavily loaded CMTS.  

So you could use something like 10 seconds, just to prove the point, although, at 4 seconds, its pretty certain that the packet is most likely lost, not just delayed by the CMTS.  

ping -t -w 10000 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732509(v=ws.10).aspx

Food for thought, if you are seeing regular timeouts with the default 4 second timeout, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem and to ping the modem from the CMTS, or ping the CMTS from the modem, looking for packet loss.  Keep your ping test up and running.  When you see packet loss, then the CSR should see packet loss as well.  It should come down a straightforward discussion about the packet loss, and, assuming that's the case, the CSR should have enough proof, despite the acceptable signal levels, to arrange a tech visit at your convenience. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink results.PNG

Is this considered good? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The loss is ok, 1 response lost out of 3150 ping cycles, the average is terrible.  It should be down in the 8 to 13 ms range.  So, something isn't quite right here.  This might be a case of ping spikes observed between the modem and CMTS, which is an issue with the modem firmware.  Ok, to prove or disprove the possibility of a problem, run a ping test to the DNS 64.71.255.204.   Lets see how this turns out.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@DatalinkOk running it now. One hour?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'll leave that to you at this time of the night.  I suspect that you should know pretty quickly if there is a difference.  I expect that the return from the DNS should be in the 8 to 15 ms range, depending on your location.  You shouldn't see high time ping times and you shouldn't see any packet loss.  If you do, then there is some problem afoot. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalinkstat.PNG

Ran it for like 10 - 12 minutes. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you in Newfoundland by any chance?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Ottawa Ontario.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, your transit times aren't good.  Where are you located in Ottawa?  I'm out in the west end of Ottawa.  Just to show the difference, here's what my ping times look like.  This is at the end of slightly over 1 min of run time:

Reply from 64.71.255.204: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=58
Reply from 64.71.255.204: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=58
Reply from 64.71.255.204: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=58
Reply from 64.71.255.204: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=58
Reply from 64.71.255.204: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 79, Received = 79, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 13ms

To copy the command box data, right click on the top title bar, select EDIT .... SELECT ALL.  Then right click again, select EDIT .... COPY.   Then you can paste the data into something like notepad and selectively copy and paste into a post.  That way, you are pasting data instead of an image.  The image requires moderator approval, so that can take some time, depending on whether or not the moderators are busy.

Edit:  Are you in a house, apartment, condo, highrise, etc, etc?