Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Suffering Packet loss

OFDM Downstream Overview
ReceiverFFT typeSubcarr 0 Frequency(MHz)PLC lockedNCP lockedMDC1 lockedPLC power(dBmv)
04K275600000YESYESYES-3.799999
1NANANONONONA
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
130596000ATDMA - 64QAM51.75036400000
213700000ATDMA - 64QAM51.75016400000
323700000ATDMA - 64QAM51.75026400000
OFDM/OFDMA Overview
Channel IndexStatelin Digital AttDigital AttBW (sc's*fft)Report PowerReport Power1_6FFT Size
0DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K
1DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @Datalink, I ran all testes wired connected to the modem with a short cable (around 1meter long) .

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CristianBotelho call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on your modem.  That test should fail automatically, or, if it doesn't it should just about fail.  Your three DOCSIS 3.0 upstream channels are at or above the failure point depending on the point of view.  DOCSIS 3.0 upstream power levels are topped at 51 dBmV according to the DOCSIS spec.  Rogers uses 52 dBmV to define a failure point, so, your upstream levels sitting at 51.750 dBmV might trigger a failure.  

In short, you need a field tech to determine what the problem is, an external cable problem and/or a connector problem, or possibly both.  The packet loss that your seeing might be the result of the modem having to exceed 52 dBmV to maintain comms with the CMTS.  In theory, by now, the modem should be shutting down one channel and pushing up the power on the remaining two channels in order to maintain comms with the CMTS.  After that, if necessary, it will drop down to a single channel upstream mode.  In each case, you will see the effects as your data rates will drop.  

So, call tech support, ask for a signal check and let the CSR know that your upstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels are at the limit and that you're seeing packet loss when you ping the CMTS.  If you're seeing any other problems with any other services such as Cable TV or Home Phone, let the CSR know. 

Please let us know how tech support responds. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, I`ll call tech support.

Look above is a half an hour of the test running. 

image.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I called Roger`s tech support and they will send a ground tech to check my home and the cables at street. Let wait for. 

I will let u know any update. 

Thanks for your help and all those information u provided. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The tech guy came here, and fixed the upstream. But works for 4 hours and now I am without internet. I called rogers again and they will send another tech in 2 days 😞 

Before I had Internet but with alot of loss.. and now I am Zero Internet. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

For about a week now I've had ping spikes reaching 1300ms while pinging the google.com address and random packet loss, I also pinged the rogers dns 50 times with 7 packets lost but normal pings.

Replaced my router, had tech support over here to my home and they say they cant find a problem the guy that came changed a single cable and was nice enough to replace a nice long one to but still the problem persists.

Replaced the LAN cables unplugged all other machines even and still nothing.

Beginning to loose my paitence with tech support

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Friskywolf 

1.  Are you in a house or apartment/condo/highrise type of building?

2.  If you are in a house, did the tech replace the external cable, whether it runs overhead from the nearest utility pole or underground from a local pedestal?

3.  Run the following to check for packet loss to the Cable Modem Termination System, which would most likely be caused by cable deterioration with your external cable:

a.  Run a trace to anywhere, google for example:   tracert www.google.com

b.  Use the second IP address as a ping target, which is the CMTS.  If the modem is in Gateway mode or the

modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, the second IP address is the CMTS.

c.  Ping that second IP address for a considerable amount of time.  Minimum time, one hour.  Max time,

much longer.

d.  Ignore the high ping times if you happen to have a Hitron CODA-4582.  That's the result of a firmware

change from version .27 and doesn't affect any target beyond the CMTS.  At this point, we're looking

for packet loss.

If you happen to have packet loss more than 1%, then you have cable issues, personal opinion.  Your packet loss should be below 0.1%.   If you have higher packet loss, then I would presume that the tech didn't replace the external cable or install a temporary cable.  Call tech support and complain once again about the packet loss issue.   Call as many times as it takes.  After two contractor visits, you can request a senior tech visit (real Rogers tech), who should be able to resolve the problem or call in a maintenance crew if that is what it takes to resolve the situation. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

1 - Living in a brand new apartment building, the problem just suddenly came out of nowhere.

3 - running a ping test with google should take well over a hour to finish ill post the results after its done if needed but fingers crossed it fixes itself today.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Don't bother with a test to google.  Run the test to the CMTS or in your case to the Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) which the apartment might have instead of a CMTS.  That depends on how large the apartment building is. 

Running a ping test to the CMTS or MDU avoids any type of network issue that might be at hand.  This type of testing should be run in stages with the following targets:

1.  Modem or router

2.  CMTS or MDU

3.  Rogers DNS

4.  External target.  

Each stage should be run for a considerable amount of time and should prove that there is no packet loss to the target in that stage, before moving on to the next stage.  

Running any test to a target such as google, prior to running the tests that I'm suggesting runs the risk of combining local packet loss issues with network issues.  Separating the two potential issues can't be done by a contractor tech.  So, its important to determine where the packet loss is occurring in order to adequately address the issue. 

In your particular case, if the building has one or more MDU's, its possible that the port or MDU that you're connected to has a technical problem.  An easy resolution might be to switch you to a different MDU, if that is possible.  If there is an MDU issue, then a qualified tech will be required to address it.  I suspect that contractor techs aren't qualified to replace MDU's. 

Edit:  are you running the ping test via ethernet or wifi?   This type of testing should always be run via ethernet.  Having said that, running a wifi ping test to the modem or router is a good test to determine just how lousy a wifi connection can actually be.  But, a wifi ping test shouldn't be run beyond the modem or router due to losses incurred between the test platform and the modem or router.