Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Suffering Packet loss

Hey @kingh!

Packet loss is incredibly difficult to deal with so any level of frustration would certainly make sense. I'm glad to hear that it's being investigated, has a ticket been sent for the issue with visibility of impact in the area? Or was a technician scheduled?

Hoping that you'll get some answers soon!

@RogersAndy

I've Been Around

Hop 1 has 100% packetloss

I have been having voice cut out issues on discord and the only real problem I can find is that my wired connection is having 100% packetloss to hop one (tested with pingplotter and winmtr

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fardin2000 you can't trust Pingplotter if you're using a white CODA-4582 modem, and possibly other Hitron modems as well.  

The CODA-4582 and Pingplotter don't play well together and as a result, Pingplotter can and will show false packet loss from the modem or the next hop, depending on your ping target.  This is due to a firmware change that occurred several versions ago.  The packet loss indications do not appear to affect any IP address displayed beyond hop #2.  This problem was fixed a very long time ago for the CGN3ASMR or CGNM-3552, but, I'm not aware of the current situation with those modems and Pingplotter. 

1.  If you ping the modem address only, the bottom plot will show the latency plot of that single IP address.  You shouldn't have packet loss to the modem, unless you have a local network problem via ethernet, or, if you're running the pingtest via wifi, which you shouldn't be doing for the purposes of testing beyond the modem.  Running Pingplotter via wifi, pinging the modem via wifi would actually be a good demonstration of how poor wifi can be at times.  So, keep in mind, you shouldn't see any packet loss at this point.  If you do, run a command line ping test to confirm or deny the presence of any packet loss.

2.  If you ping the address beyond the modem which is the CMTS, Pingplotter will show a high loss from the modem and no loss from the CMTS.  Keep in mind that you just confirmed that there is no packet loss to/from the modem, so Pingplotter is generating a false packet loss indication in this case. 

3.  If you ping a target beyond the CMTS (hop #2), such as the Rogers primary IPV4 DNS @  64.71.255.204, you will see high packet loss from the modem and from the CMTS, but, you just proved to yourself that there is no packet loss from either one.  Once again, Pingplotter is generating a false packet loss indication from the modem and CMTS.  You shouldn't see any packet loss from the DNS address.  

Keep in mind that Pingplotter displays the last IP address on the plot.  So, if you ping some far off target, the local plots aren't seen unless you click or select any of the IP addresses in the IP trace.  That will bring up the plot for that IP and they will stack vertically.  Right click on any plot and select "hide" to get rid of any unwanted plot.  

Pingplotter generates a considerable amount of traffic, blasting each IP address with two pings per cycle, so, the program generates a far more traffic than users are aware of.  For that reason, when it comes to checking for packet loss and latency, I highly recommend doing it in the following order in order to minimize the traffic:

1.  Ping the modem, 192.168.0.1

2.  Ping the CMTS (second IP address in any trace to anywhere)

3.  Ping the Rogers primary DNS, 64.71.255.204   (that keeps the test within the Rogers network)

4.  Ping a target outside of the Rogers network.    (only do this when you have completely resolved any issues

seen in steps 1, 2, and 3.  When you run a ping test outside

of the ISP borders, all bets are off and you get what you

get, so you really need to know the performance within

the network first, before you start to tackle Rogers about

any problems beyond the ISP border.)

When Pingplotter is running, right click on the column title bar to bring up the title bar menu.  Select MAX and ERR.  Drag those columns to the right to sit beside the MIN and % columns. 

With long time frame plots, or with high rate data which occurs when you override the default Ping intervals and drop the intervals below 0.5 (seconds), you will end up with more data per horizontal pixel than can actually be displayed.  Pingplotter stacks a number of horizontal pixel data points together, and when that happens Pingplotter averages the horizontal pixel data points in the plot, so, as you scale up in time, the plot flattens out, losing the high time latency spikes.  That makes Pingplotter fairly useless in monitoring latency issues over long time periods.  if you hover your mouse over the lower plot area, it will show the number of data points in that particular horizontal pixel point.  With the upper right hand Focus time set to Auto to match up the top data timeframe with the lower timeframe, the MAX column will show the maximum latency time within that time frame.  Unfortunately, you might not be able to determine where that occurs unless you scale the plot way down in time and laboriously scroll thru the plot, looking for the latency spikes. 

Ok, for now, I suggest re-configuring the test to run single tests, first to the modem, and then to the CMTS, looking for packet loss and latency. 

I've Been Around

Packet loss within the Rogers network causing high loaded latency

Hi,

I've been having ongoing issues with my internet.  I'm having very high "loaded latency" from my gateway to the internet.  This causes disconnects to my VOIP and screen sharing applications and response times from constantly connected applications.  I've been doing speed tests on fast.com and using Ping Plotter to check for packet loss upstream.

I've been in touch with Rogers support several times and they were unable to fix the issue.  They "escalated" the issues last week and responded back by text that they were unable to find an issue.  Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot.

1. Cable tech came out and replaced all lines from the street to the house and from house inside to the modem.  All check out good now.

2. Replaced cable modem (CODA-4582U)

3. I had the modem firmware updated to latest version (on last modem, new modem (same model) does not have updated firmware yet)

4. Tested from a separate laptop direct to the modem with a different network cable.

5. Removed all other networking equipment from my network.

6. Set my modem to "bridge" mode and installed a 3rd party Linksys router to test if packet loss and latency persisted.  It did, same results.  Right now I'm running with the Rogers modem as my Gateway again.

I'm on a 300u package, here's my results from fast.com:

300 - 600mbps download, 20mbps upload - Sometimes get only 150mbps download during peak periods.

13ms latency on average

250 - 650ms loaded latency (changes intermittently throughout the day, a few times I did get 60ms loaded latency but that was short lived and few and far between)

I'm consistently receiving 35% packet loss on average within the Rogers network.  Specifically to the first hop outside my gateway.  This packet loss occurs every day, evening and night - all the time for months.

Hop with packet loss:  99.250.228.1

Here's my Ping Plotter results for reference of the packet loss, in this example I received 37% loss:

Target Name: google.ca
IP: 172.217.1.163
Date/Time: 10/15/2019 07:39:55 - 10/15/2019 07:49:55

Hop Sent PL% Min Max Avg Host Name / [IP]
1 1190 100 1.32 1.32 1.32 CODA4582 [192.168.0.1]
2 1190 37 8.74 97.89 15.50 cpe.net.cable.rogers.com [99.250.228.1] (redacted CM MAC address - RogersMoin)
3 1190 0 8.00 30.95 11.33 8081-dgw02.ktgc.rmgt.net.rogers.com [67.231.221.201]
4 1190 0 8.79 37.33 14.86 209.148.236.189 [209.148.236.189]
5 1190 0 8.58 105.13 15.87 209.148.233.38 [209.148.233.38]
6 1190 0 8.75 189.01 16.29 72.14.222.87 [72.14.222.87]
7 1190 0 11.34 50.13 15.85 108.170.250.225 [108.170.250.225]
8 1190 0 7.82 38.11 15.83 108.170.226.223 [108.170.226.223]
9 1190 0 9.08 33.28 14.76 google.ca [172.217.1.163]

I've done all I can to troubleshoot from what I can think of.  Not sure how to get Rogers to see the problem as their "escalation" service is saying they don't see a problem and won't speak with me directly.  Hoping someone can assist.

Thanks