Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Suffering Packet loss

Good to hear.  Makes me wonder what the root cause was.  If it ever occurs again, don't hesitate to bring up with tech support or thru the forum  🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Acceptable Packet Loss - 0.44% average, but spikes to 4% in 15 minute windows.

Hi all,

I'm suffering from packet loss on my cable internet connection. Generally it works pretty well, but lately, I've been getting packet loss. Average loss is 0.44%, and can go as high as 5%+ for short periods of time.

To compare, I also have a DSL connection and it's packet loss is 0%.

What is an acceptable amount of packet loss for a Cable Connection - I always assumed it to be near 0% as well.

Because of the packet loss, pages don't always load properly and are slow.

I called into support but because the packet loss is so low and intermittent over the hour, he said there is nothing that can be done?!

Hopefully I can get this resolved as the stuttering web pages is getting annoying.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know what the official packet loss numbers are, but personal opinion they should be zero.  Can you log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables so you don't have to insert a screen capture.  Those tables are the RG-6 signal levels and signal to noise ratios which should be of interest at the present time.  

Can you also load pingplotter (free/trial) from www.pingplotter.com and run a test session out to something like google.ca   Right click on the display and enable everything.  Right click again, select Customize View and enable everything.  Copy the image by using the Edit .... Copy as Image function.  Dump that into something like MS Paint, save the image and post it into the thread.  I'm looking for any indication of high ping time and packet loss to the first node beyond the modem.  That is either the neighborhood node or CMTS, and going to that point should not see any losses.  Beyond that you're at the mercy of the servers in the path.  

Between the signal and pingplotter data we should be able to come to some idea of that the problem might be. Is the packet loss issue over ethernet or wifi?  Please run the pingplotter test via ethernet.  If the problem is via wifi, thats a different issue alltogether.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think I resolved my issue - in pfSense I disabled all my hardware acceleration features on my network card and now my connection has 0% packet loss for the last 24 hours.

These are the settings I disabled even though I have an Intel based network card (HP nc360t).

Hardware Checksum Offloading
Hardware TCP Segmentation Offloading
Hardware Large Receive Offloading

What is very strange is that these settings only affect the cable modem. The same card also serves my DSL connection and it has NO packet loss. I guess there must be some compatiblity issue between the Hitron modem and these acceleration features.

Also, my Hitron was dropping it's LAN side connection every week or so; hopefully disabling these features resolves this problem as well.

I'm a Regular

No, your modem dropping its LAN connection is a completely separate issue affecting many customers. There's another thread about it (link below). There's an issue with Hitron modems interfacing with recently upgraded CMTS infrastructure.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3161...
I've Been Here Awhile

I have Rogers 100ignite plan.   On May 24, my modem lights went off and when it restarted I immediately noticed a reduction in internet speed (300kbps) with 25% packet loss.  I called Rogers and a lady said through testing of my area, a neighbour's modem showed packet loss as well.  She then advised she would  send a technican to my house on the 25th.

On May 25, a Roger's technican came to my house and confirmed the low speed.  The gentleman was nice and all as he replaced the cable plugs leading into the hosue from the outisde.   Internet speed jumped to normal however few hours later packet loss came back (25%) and now with 200 kbps speed.  Spoke to Rogers again at midnight and a gentelman confirmed the 4 houses near me were also showing a 25% packet loss.  However he was perplexed why the lady yesterday sent a tecnhician to my house in the first place, as this issue has to be escalated to another area to investigate.  The technician did a bandaid solution as it didnt address the roo cause.  I was told this would take 24 to 48 hours to resolve.  

On May 26 evening i called for update status as I need internet for my business and was told no one had looked at the ticket yet but would be resolved on Friday.

On May 27 afternoon I called for another update and was told that there was no notations made to the ticket and per policy its 24 hours before  someone looks at my ticket and then another 48 hours for it to be resolved.  So now I'm told this will take up to Saturday or possilby Sunday to be resolved.

I understand the first lady made a mistake in sending out a technican but 4 days later I still dont know if someone is investigating my problem.  My internet speed now is still showing .39Mbps that when i'm able to to test  the speed via rogers speed test link as most time I get timed out as packet loss still hovers over 20%.  I'm not sure if anything is being done by Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

Another day with same 20+% packet loss and 300 Kbps speed.  Was told now per policy it takes 4 days from time ticket is reviewed for resultuion so dont expect anything until Monday.. each day goes by Rogers just keeps tacking on another 24 hours "per policy" with no explanation on what's going on.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hello @laserderm

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I'd like to provide some clarification.

Depending on the issue, it generally takes 24-72 hours for your ticket to be actioned. Our back-end team will have a look at the ticket, conduct their own investigation and log any updates. We do understand the urgency of the situation and we work to have all issues resolved as soon as possible.

There are many variables when it comes to Internet issues and sometimes they can be quite complex, because of this their isn't a standard timeline when it comes to resolution of the issue. Once our back-end teams do a full analysis, they will make note of the expected resolution time/date if it has been provided by the engineers.

I apologize for any misinformation that may have been provided in your previous interactions.

I've tagged in some our Resident Experts to chime in as well @Datalink @Gdkitty

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there is a ticket in for an area problem, that is already well beyond anything that I can look at and suggest.  The only two items worth looking at, at this point in time are the signal levels at the modem, and the ping statistics outbound from the modem.  

1.  For the signal levels can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text components of the tables which are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios.  If there is any signal issue, that should show up in the tables.

2.  For the ping statics, can you load the free/trial version of pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com.  When you have that loaded, run a test session out to something like google.ca.  When the application is running, right click on the display area, and enable all of the selectable items.  Right click again, select Customize view and select or enable all of the items.  The bottom area can be expanded upwards towards the bottom of the upper display area if you want to expand the lower graph scaling.  Select Edit .... Copy as Image.  Dump the clipboard contents to something like MS paint, and then insert the image into a post. 

Between the signal levels and ping times as displayed in pingplotter, we'll have a better idea of what the problem is and might be able to provide some explanation of what the problem might be.  That won't help expedite the process, but, it will give you a better understanding of the problem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Packet loss and high latency issues

So I don't post here frequently, but this has been an ongoing issue for the last 6 months. I'm posting here in hopes of Rogers actually doing something for once. 

This is what I have been dealing with the entire day today:

6.png

I called tech support for the 10th time in the last 6 months. The agent ackowledged the packet loss issue. He tested my neighbourhood as well and saw packet loss there too. Another ticket was created, probably the 4th one so far, with the last 3 being "resolved". Note that I have also not received any communication from Rogers regarding any of the tickets unless I call back and ask.

I'm on the 100U package. The last time I called tech support, the agent asked me to swap my Modem out (CGN3ACMSR). I did, and my modem is also on the latest (non trial) firmware. The problem is intermittent but it does happen for a while and then goes away.