Stealth port testing failed - Hitron CGN3 - ports responding as closed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Stealth port testing failed - Hitron CGN3 - ports responding as closed

Hi,

I just swtiched to Rogers with from Bell Fibe, but I still have the Bell until they cut me off. This allows me to switch back and forth from the Fibe router/modem to the Roger Hitron CGN3.

I always want to run in stealth mode, so I run a check on the GRC ShieldUP! web site which tests the common hacking ports and returns a report on how your computer fairs. With the Bell modem, one port (22) responds as closed, but with the Rogers modem, 6 or 7 do - the most common ports for hackers. The results were:

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113, 119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445, 1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000 0 Ports Open 6 Ports Closed 20 Ports Stealth --------------------- 26 Ports Tested NO PORTS were found to be OPEN. Ports found to be CLOSED were: 22, 23, 80, 135, 443, 445

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system's security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers.

I have found some information from a couple of years ago regarding this issue with the Rogers modem, but nothing to date. Is there anything that can be done in settings to ensure that no ports respond at all and allow us to run in complete stealth? I tend to have my connection open at all times, and would prefer that the computer and network is not visible.

With thanks.

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Re: Stealth port testing failed - Hitron CGN3 - ports responding as closed

Hi @HaberNik1,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

So far from what I understand you normally run your system in stealth mode, which makes your network invisible to the Internet for added security in order to hide information from any incoming packets. With our Rogers modem I can only suggest 3rd party equipment/software as an option to placing the ports in stealth mode.

Maybe some of our Resident Experts @Datalink and @Gdkitty could give some insight on your situation.

Regards,
RogersArthur

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Stealth port testing failed - Hitron CGN3 - ports responding as closed

Well there are two things to look at here.  Being stealthed.. doesnt mean you are open for attacks, etc.
It just means someone probing your specific IP at the time, might get a RESPONSE that yes there is something at that IP.. but doesnt mean they will be able to get access through that (or any) port.
Really at the most, leaves it open that they may try HARDER (more other ports), could DDoS, etc.

The main way to avoid this, is to go bridged mode.
This turns the device into a MODEM only.. and then its dependant on the device pluged into it, on how it reacts.
Using your own better 3rd party router, it would be dependant on that device.
(also at that point, you take advantage of all the other better options like more port forwarding rules, better wifi often, etc.)